What watch do you wear?

Serious question. Do any of you buy expensive watches for other people to notice them, or do you just like the quality aspect?

I honestly don't see the point in them anymore, since we all own phones with far more accurate time.

I'm not trying to troll, but I do believe many people fall into the category above. Honesty is appreciated.

I buy expensive vaping equipment (of course not at these levels) and can feel like a show off myself, even though I'm not trying to be.

I would imagine less than 1 in 10,000 people would have any idea what my most expensive watch is, or even that it was expensive. So no, I buy for me.

I do believe that a lot of people buy for reason 1, but few of those are interested in watches and most end up with Rolex, because everyone knows them and notices them (I have nothing against Rolex but that is a fact).

Serious question. Do any of you buy expensive watches for other people to notice them, or do you just like the quality aspect?

My watch is not normally on show. When I wear short sleeves I normally wear my G-Shocks.

For me I like the aesthetics/design of luxury watches. The watch is also an investment in myself, each time I look at my watch it reminds me how far I come and why I work so hard.

Same.

At work, when I had the Longines, only 1 guy knew what it was and to other colleagues it was just a nice looking watch. That guy was a contractor himself and wasn't around too long, he had an SMP which was some 10 odd years old.

The Tudor is even less so, literally nobody I know knows of the brand, and it looks as plain as a grey wall with no bling bits. I like that, doesn't draw unwanted attention. It was only when a colleague recently picked it up that he commented about how it felt.

Like most things, I guess many of us here buy expensive items for ourselves to appreciate every time we use them and/or look at them.

Hence the term [Insert thing here] Enthusiasts :p

I honestly don't see the point in them anymore, since we all own phones with far more accurate time.

I'm not trying to troll, but I do believe many people fall into the category above. Honesty is appreciated.

I buy expensive vaping equipment (of course not at these levels) and can feel like a show off myself, even though I'm not trying to be.

Mostly not no, two or three people at work have observed I have a variety of watches that look expensive, but they haven't heard of any of them or really know what they are. I wear nice watches because I like them, not to impress other people, for that I use my formidable intellect, wit and charm ...

I love Bell and Ross watches and want to get myself an altimeter version, or perhaps the GMT model when I have some spare cash. I can happily say that most people would not have a clue what it was and it would not bother me one bit. I just love the look and feel, along with the attention to detail :)

I bought mine as an investment, and an investment that I can see and feel and indeed wear every day. It's also a remarkable piece of engineering when you consider the loss of 3.5 seconds a day (99.996% accuracy from a machine that is solely powered by just moving around, and it fits on your wrist!).

Only one randomer has commented on it in my month of ownership, and they didn't know what it was; they simply commented on the apparent quality of the bracelet. I'd like to keep the noticing of it low, as it's for my enjoyment.

After a lot of pondering, between that huge hamilton, and smaller hamiltons, and a Longines Heritage 1954, and that line of 'master' I finally went for the Longines Master. Bought it in a shop too, a notch more than what I'd get online, but I got to try a few and the guy was nice.

The reason I picked this one is that it's very clean, and also very flat in comparison with the others I tried, it really fantastic looking and screams quality. Also, the 'master' collection comes with deployment clasp, and display back...
The Hamiltons didn't look as good to be honest...

Happy birthday to me :-)
_1000511.jpg

_1000514.jpg

_1000518.jpg

Congratulations BusError.

I wonder why they went with the partial 3, 6 and 9 rather than just omitting them?

I was pondering that, it seems to be usual on many chronos -- I kind of like it myself, even the one at 6' -- it's like a 'layer' in a way.

I love this model anyway, it's a lot thinner than any other chrono I've seen -- they had the 'moonphase' Master too (with Kitchen Sink Complication) that was tempting my geeky side, but my KISS side won :-)

I was pondering that, it seems to be usual on many chronos -- I kind of like it myself, even the one at 6' -- it's like a 'layer' in a way.

I love this model anyway, it's a lot thinner than any other chrono I've seen -- they had the 'moonphase' Master too (with Kitchen Sink Complication) that was tempting my geeky side, but my KISS side won :-)

KISS wins in my book too, though a chrono is hardly a KISS is the truest sense of the word! It's still a pretty bonkers (in a good way) complication to have, but shouldn't be too obscene to get serviced as an ETA movement. The moonphase is a step too far I think - totally useless complication for me. It can look pretty cool though.

Is this new Longines going to be your daily wear?

Tudor BlackBayLagos / PelaBay.

That is very nice combo of colours for sure. If the clasp was pinched from the Pelagos too then I'd definitely consider a swap purely for the dial colours.

Divers with no date window = win.

Edit*
Ah damn, thought they'd gone Titanium with it too, but it's still SS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom