What watch do you wear?

I know we all differ in our tastes (thank goodness), but I really have a problem with the magnified part of this watch face. I know I will be missing some history of the development etc, but are Rolex saying without this magnification we would struggle to read the date? Seems a wierd reason to turn what could be a crisp face into something unnecessarily fussy, all imo of course.

Cheers

Nope - the Sea Dwellers don't have a cyclops, and the date can be seen perfectly clearly.

Hi guys,

After a trip to turkey and an investment into their genuine fake rolexs I've become quite dependent on having a timepiece rather than reaching for the phone in my pocket. I'm not looking to invest in a 'proper' watch (not a rolex!) with a budget of around £150. Currently eyeing this one up: http://www.thomas-earnshaw.com/products/es-8042-05

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Or can offer any similar alternatives? I quite like the skeleton watches, but I don't like the fact that they seem hard to read at a glance, so something that is a bit of both?

Hi guys,

After a trip to turkey and an investment into their genuine fake rolexs I've become quite dependent on having a timepiece rather than reaching for the phone in my pocket. I'm not looking to invest in a 'proper' watch (not a rolex!) with a budget of around £150. Currently eyeing this one up: http://www.thomas-earnshaw.com/products/es-8042-05

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Or can offer any similar alternatives? I quite like the skeleton watches, but I don't like the fact that they seem hard to read at a glance, so something that is a bit of both?

It looks a bit overpriced to me, and the gold is probably going to wear off very, very quickly. I think that if you want to have a gold watch, you need to put the money down otherwise it'll wear off and look pretty crap..

Alternatively there are a few brass watches that could look nice...

I was in mostly the same situation as you are a little while back (ie buying a watch to 'play' on Ali, and getting hooked!) -- my advise would be to stick to your fake rolex for a little while more, /read/ about watches and then pounce on a brand that is known for it's qualities/price ratio... by that time your budget might have improved a bit too...

For example, for that sort of money, you could get a Steinhart, and quite a few other... You could also get a large number of Seiko, if you're not attached to the 'swiss/german' cachet.

It looks a bit overpriced to me, and the gold is probably going to wear off very, very quickly. I think that if you want to have a gold watch, you need to put the money down otherwise it'll wear off and look pretty crap..

Alternatively there are a few brass watches that could look nice...

I was in mostly the same situation as you are a little while back (ie buying a watch to 'play' on Ali, and getting hooked!) -- my advise would be to stick to your fake rolex for a little while more, /read/ about watches and then pounce on a brand that is known for it's qualities/price ratio... by that time your budget might have improved a bit too...

For example, for that sort of money, you could get a Steinhart, and quite a few other... You could also get a large number of Seiko, if you're not attached to the 'swiss/german' cachet.

The price is a lot cheaper in actual stores, as that's the RRP, it's about £120.

Thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind!

Does anyone know what a 2006 Sub date is worth these days? I was thinking £4k but is that too much?

which model, box and papers, condition? last service?

depending on the above anywhere between £2900-£4k

if its a 16610 in good condition with a recent service and includes box and papers and any service receipts, you will get £4k easy on a private sale.

Wooo so two weeks into owning my lovely Speedmater Moonwatch I managed to brush an artex-ed wall and put a light surface scratch in the glass :(

The Interwebs suggests that an application of polywatch should sort it out, anyone got any personal experience using it?

Thats the primary reason I haven't bought a speedy yet -- it's just feel wrong to have what is mostly plastic crystal; sod the tradition and so on... I think the one I'll buy will definitely be the sapphire one -- I'd be gutted in your situation!

Thats the primary reason I haven't bought a speedy yet -- it's just feel wrong to have what is mostly plastic crystal; sod the tradition and so on... I think the one I'll buy will definitely be the sapphire one -- I'd be gutted in your situation!

seriously? you do know that Hesalite is in fact very strong? and in a way is far better than sapphire crystal, for the reasons above.

scratch your crystal and 9/10 its a replacement, but on the other hand I have had deep gouges in my Hesalite and polywatch has brung it back to better then it was before.

during the process polywatch uses the small particles left behind and fills the scratch, leaving a perfect finish, and in 10 years of having a speedmaster I have scratched it twice.

put it up against a sapphire of the same age and there is no competition.

My 1 month old SKX007 has been running slow recently :(
I adjusted the time when I got it and it was 15s slow then.
Now its pretty inaccurate at 2mins slow.

What can I do?
I don't want to take it to a watchmaker and pay half price of the watch.
I don't want to adjust it myself either just incase I damage it even more(if possible).
I really like this watch too :(

My 1 month old SKX007 has been running slow recently :(
I adjusted the time when I got it and it was 15s slow then.
Now its pretty inaccurate at 2mins slow.

What can I do?
I don't want to take it to a watchmaker and pay half price of the watch.
I don't want to adjust it myself either just incase I damage it even more(if possible).
I really like this watch too :(

2mins slow per day?

Where did you buy it? If it was from a retailer or some form of shop, then they need to sort it out, free of charge.

Back
Top Bottom