What watch do you wear?

I'm thinking of getting a pocket watch, no idea why! I just fancy one.

Only aiming around £80 and Woodford seems to be the common brand... Anyone any thoughts?

I'd go stainless steel/silver, not gold.

Thanks.

Last edited:
A naff £12 digital Casio. Tells the time! Only worth splashing out a lot on a watch if it's going to hold or increase in value.

That makes no sense though, do you also buy a car based on how much value it will have in years to come or do you buy it because it fits the purpose and you like it? :p

My great uncle has recently passed and a collection of his belongings have been passed down to my father, who has then passed them down to various members of the family.

Fortunately I have been the one to receive his watch collection, with a few cheapies involved, and some awesome pocket watches which I've now stored away safely.

Of the collection, though, there's a lovely Seiko mechanical watch which has stopped functioning. It needs a little tidying up too, a new strap and just a general look over to get it up and running again. I appreciate it's not worth anything, but could anyone advise my first port of call? Do I just simply take it to a watch shop, or can I attempt to fix it myself? I'm a bit of a noob with watches, I'll change the strap easy enough but anything else is alien to me.

Cheers!

I hope you've answered your own question there!

Have a hunt online for reviews of local watch repairers, or send it off to a recommended one - check out dedicated watch fora for recommendations. Make sure you tell the repairer what you do and don't want done. Some people like the use marks left on, whereas others want them taken out.

I'm looking at getting my Dad a watch for christmas this year. I'm not sure of the exact style I want to go for yet, but been looking around at sub £200 watches online.

I think i'm going to go leather strap, as he's already got a nice Seiko with silver metal strap, so looking for something a little different.

I've also toyed with the idea of getting him the moto 360 v1, as they're now only £100, and i reckon it might be useful when he's at work.

Whats peoples thoughts on Thomas Earnshaw watches, they do some nice looking dressy automatic watches for around £100-150. They get mixed reviews on amazon (but what doesn't), seems like a bit hit and miss and i think i'm not that likely to go this route to be honest

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...coliid=IVUZLMT16V2YN&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

I've also seen a few nice Swiss Military watches, these seem to come is two flavours, either very expensive, or cheapish sub £250. obviously i'm looking at the sub £250 range. Swiss made, but are the cheaper range lacking quality?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...oliid=IMZITVE9LZ2A7&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swiss-Milit...r_1_16?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1447679088&sr=1-16
http://www.watchshop.com/mens-swiss...hronograph-watch-6-4224-04-030-p99971078.html

Another option, is a nice fossil watch, I've seen an Automatic (japanese) for £157 that i quite like the look of.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-fossil-automatic-watch-me3104-p99988756.html

Or am i best of sticking with Seiko and similar more popular brands?

Maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MCBGI...TF8&colid=1GQ8CYWJ4WCR4&coliid=I13DR97HYC727J

Are places like the watch shop safe for buying from, i'm not going to end up with a cheap copy?

I bought my dad a Seiko Cocktail time for Christmas. Some sites are doing them for as little as £230.

Lovely watch, really classy IMO.

I do like that watch actually having seen it in this thread. But couldn't find it for that price. I'm a little dubious about buying off uncommon (foreign) websites, as i'm worried i'll get a fake and not even know it.

Purely functional Garmin Swim... logs all my daily swimming antics for me. (no more counting lengths in head)

Obligatory slightly blurred photo lol

PB160041.jpg

Bought a Bulova Champlain chronograph today, so heavy compared to anything I've had it makes my skagen feel like it isn't even on my wrist.
I love the sweeping second hand, the uhf movement is so smooth. I did ask what you lot thought of bulova but never got a reply so I guess either nobody has one or they are not very well thought of, so far I'm loving mine and most reviews seem ok....oh please don't let me have bought another "it falls to bits in a month" thing lol.

I hope you've answered your own question there!

Have a hunt online for reviews of local watch repairers, or send it off to a recommended one - check out dedicated watch fora for recommendations. Make sure you tell the repairer what you do and don't want done. Some people like the use marks left on, whereas others want them taken out.

Ha, I'm pretty sure I did! :D

After having a play about with it, swinging my arms constantly for 30 seconds (it's a mechanical watch), and then messing with the crown I finally got it working. It's losing about ten minutes a day at the moment which obviously isn't ideal, so I will get it taken to a watch repairer.

I think I'd like to get it tidied up also, although I'll look into costing etc.

A bit of research into it is telling me it's circa 1962.

Here's a picture with the new strap;

FsQAPCOh.jpg.png

So I ask my partner if she would a like a nice watch for her Birthday, expecting to buy her something classy and long lasting.

Instead she decides that 3 Rose Gold Michael Kors watches is what she prefers because it matches her iPhone 6 - girls will be girls :p
Seems this 'desginer' could put his name on a bag of **** and it would sell :D

23075793642_7eb438db70_o.jpg

Ha, I'm pretty sure I did! :D

After having a play about with it, swinging my arms constantly for 30 seconds (it's a mechanical watch), and then messing with the crown I finally got it working. It's losing about ten minutes a day at the moment which obviously isn't ideal, so I will get it taken to a watch repairer.

I think I'd like to get it tidied up also, although I'll look into costing etc.

A bit of research into it is telling me it's circa 1962.

Here's a picture with the new strap;

Very nice classic piece.
Just remember that running an uncared for automatic can do a bit of damage as who knows what's going on with the parts inside. Might end up needing more bits replaced if you keep running it without getting it serviced first.

Getting things of this nature serviced etc. really can be above their financial value. I've now paid half the value of my grandfather's Longines just in two servicings, but it's priceless to me, and it sounds like a similar situation to yours.

Get the old girl ticking again!

Back
Top Bottom