What watch do you wear?

My great uncle has recently passed and a collection of his belongings have been passed down to my father, who has then passed them down to various members of the family.

Fortunately I have been the one to receive his watch collection, with a few cheapies involved, and some awesome pocket watches which I've now stored away safely.

Of the collection, though, there's a lovely Seiko mechanical watch which has stopped functioning. It needs a little tidying up too, a new strap and just a general look over to get it up and running again. I appreciate it's not worth anything, but could anyone advise my first port of call? Do I just simply take it to a watch shop, or can I attempt to fix it myself? I'm a bit of a noob with watches, I'll change the strap easy enough but anything else is alien to me.

Cheers!

Just won nice little footy bet.. what people recommend about 400-500 quid mark?

the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT looks nice.. anyone recommend anything else with similar build quality and characteristics?

Thanks

Nice watch, unusually elegant for a Speedmaster.

Shame they couldn't spell tachymeter correctly though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got this today

*snip*
Lovely watch :). I'm half tempted to save up for one myself, such a classic. Couple of questions, do you mind saying how much you paid for it? I was wondering what kind of discounts are available at the moment. Also, may be a bit early, but how long does it last on a full wind roughly?

Enjoy :)

Lovely watch :). I'm half tempted to save up for one myself, such a classic. Couple of questions, do you mind saying how much you paid for it? I was wondering what kind of discounts are available at the moment. Also, may be a bit early, but how long does it last on a full wind roughly?

Luckilly I'm currently reasonably satiated chrono-wise with the Longines, but the Speedy will definitely show up at some point on the shelve, there is no other way :-)

[/spoiler]

I was hesitating with this one when I bough mine -- what decided on mine was that it was a LOT thinner -- I was very tempted with yours, just because it's really neat, but it's also quite thick.. It's still a really fantastic watch tho, happy dad ;-)

I like that, and you're right, the Moon phase is pretty fat. I'm not liking how difficult it is to wind the crown either. It's actually a chore compared to my GMT.

Got mine about a few months ago, a full wind (about 70 turns) lasts about a day and a half on it. Winding starts to become part of your morning routine very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom