What watch do you wear?

hi does anyone know the what the prices of watches are like in Dubai compared to the States? Here in Aus they are very overpriced so currently looking to source one from the States but I have friends travelling here via Dubai in a few weeks.

Probably leaning towards a Bell & Ross or Raymond Weil if it helps

raucyc.jpg

;)

Look how tiny the movement is in that thing ^^ What were they thinking making the window larger than the movement itself, showing the entire movement ring! Looks stupid.

Mmmmm lovely.
I take it you mean the the U-Boat? I tried it on a few weeks ago and when the woman told me they do interest free credit over 12 months I made a little noise when i realised i could have it that day :D
Look how tiny the movement is in that thing ^^ What were they thinking making the window larger than the movement itself, showing the entire movement ring! Looks stupid.
It's not a tiny movement, it's a big watch. I really don't think it looks 'stupid' at all, i like the fact that you can see everything from the back. This is what they say about the movement
U-Boat said:
Automatic mechanical chronograph modified and personalized at U-BOAT specifications for date display and stem position at 9 o'clock. Frequency 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz. Power reserve 44 hours. 25 Jewels. Height 7mm

Love that U-boat - like a cross between a diver and a pilot style. I don't like the huge crown though.....that's one thing that puts me off a lot of divers. Other than that, massive amounts of yum!

It's not a tiny movement, it's a big watch. I really don't think it looks 'stupid' at all, i like the fact that you can see everything from the back. This is what they say about the movement

I know it is an over-sized watch with a regular movement in it. Most people who are into watches would agree that a massive case with a movement that doesn't come close to the case size is not a desirable design trait. To highlight that by having a case window which is larger than the movement and shows a bog standard movement ring, is a strange design decision.

Originally Posted by U-Boat
Automatic mechanical chronograph modified and personalized at U-BOAT specifications for date display and stem position at 9 o'clock. Frequency 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz. Power reserve 44 hours. 25 Jewels. Height 7mm

By the way the movement you describe in your post is a valjoux 7750 (albeit 'modified' presumably engraving). The movement you show a picture of is an eta 2824 (or one of the other generic movements from the family). The picture is the back of one of the standard Uboat watches with date only, not the chrono.

To highlight what I mean here are some watches I have put together with case windows using those exact movements - note you can't see a plain movement ring and then a massive gap to the case edge.

a 2824 - the movement you picture

mattwatch6.jpg

a 7750, the movement you describe

caseback.jpg

To each their own on whether they like U-boat, personally I don't, but I stand by the fact that it is a very weird decision to make the case window, wider than the movement itself.:)

Last edited:
This is my work/casual watch - Aristo Messerschmitt ME-262 (world's first jet fighter). Titanium case, Swiss quartz, made in Germany.....of course :)

For outdoorsy/travel activities - G-Shock 5610 Solar Atomic.

Love that U-boat - like a cross between a diver and a pilot style. I don't like the huge crown though.....that's one thing that puts me off a lot of divers. Other than that, massive amounts of yum!
I do love it, it's a beautiful watch but my mum wants to get me a watch for my 21st, which is December 27th! :( That isn't actually the crown, it's a screw cover that protects the crown.

Aye it's stunning :)
Mmhmmm :)
I know it is an over-sized watch with a regular movement in it. Most people who are into watches would agree that a massive case with a movement that doesn't come close to the case size is not a desirable design trait. To highlight that by having a case window which is larger than the movement and shows a bog standard movement ring, is a strange design decision.

By the way the movement you describe in your post is a valjoux 7750 (albeit 'modified' presumably engraving). The movement you show a picture of is an eta 2824 (or one of the other generic movements from the family). The picture is the back of one of the standard Uboat watches with date only, not the chrono.

To highlight what I mean here are some watches I have put together with case windows using those exact movements - note you can't see a plain movement ring and then a massive gap to the case edge.

To each their own on whether they like U-boat, personally I don't, but I stand by the fact that it is a very weird decision to make the case window, wider than the movement itself.:)

I understand that you know about 100% more about watches than i know and I know what you mean but I did say above the picture that it's a picture of the back of a different U-Boat watch, I posted it just because it looks similar. I do love U-Boat watches and have not seen a watch that i like as much as that one. I was also looking at a Bell & Ross but i prefer the U-Boat. Are there any other watches with a similar look that you would recommend?

I do love it, it's a beautiful watch but my mum wants to get me a watch for my 21st, which is December 27th! :( That isn't actually the crown, it's a screw cover that protects the crown.

Mmhmmm :)

I understand that you know about 100% more about watches than i know and I know what you mean but I did say above the picture that it's a picture of the back of a different U-Boat watch, I posted it just because it looks similar. I do love U-Boat watches and have not seen a watch that i like as much as that one. I was also looking at a Bell & Ross but i prefer the U-Boat. Are there any other watches with a similar look that you would recommend?

Short answer is get what you like.

Longer answer is Bell & Ross and U boat both use very reliable movements from eta/valjoux, so in that regard you won't go far wrong. My concern with something as novel as U-boat for a big present like a 21st is whether you would still want to wear it in years to come - are they a bit 'now'? For that reason I would probably be drawn to more of a classic look (e.g. a plainish diver/pilot/dress watch or whatever) and buy a tauchmesiter http://www.tauchmeisterwatches.com/ to scratch the over-sized/big crown guard itch for little money. (As your birthday is not until December you could pickup a tauchmeister and see if you still feel the same way about the look and crown by November, if you do, sell the cheapo and get the U boat, if over it, get something else)

Personally I prefer B&R out of the two, the finish on them is good, but U boat is U boat - if you love the look, then why not. They are well made.

Have you looked at Sinn? They make some lovely watches that are a bit different and in the price range.

Don't let me put you off though (my problem with the case window is just one of my pet niggles). Get what you will be happy with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom