What watch do you wear?

Just got the following this weekend (hand delivered from the US :D)

Looks like this in the light:
watch_light.jpg

And like this in the dark:
watch_dark.jpg

GTLS all the way baby!

Yes, that does say "U.S. Government" and yes, that is the Nuclear-Radiation Symbol :D

Last edited:
watch.jpg

Phillipe Starck Veiled. Had it a couple of years now and face is abit scratched, still love it though. Gets so many comments. I remember being in a petrol station and the bloke behind me in queue wanted to know name and make and where I got it, and stuff like thats happened quite abit.

Just got the following this weekend (hand delivered from the US :D)

Looks like this in the light:

And like this in the dark:

GTLS all the way baby!

Yes, that does say "U.S. Government" and yes, that is the Nuclear-Radiation Symbol :D

Not sure why, but I really like the look of that.

Not sure why, but I really like the look of that.

Thanks. it's extremely lightweight because the case is high-density plastic, and the lens is plastic too (it's intended for a combat environment where glass splinters would be undesirable) which makes it extremely comfortable to wear, especially with the breathable strap :)

it was quite affordable (for a GTLS watch anyway) at $135, i bought it from here:

http://www.countycomm.com/

they sell a large variety of nifty US-military-overrun stock, but shipping to the UK is pretty challenging, especially with the watches as there's a large amount of red tape that needs to be dealt with getting an export permit (due to the nuclear-material). personal exportation is considerably easier :)

Nuclear material?

Also Skidder, any more sites/brands like the Tauchmeister one (and even Sinn but lower price-range) please?

Ah, I see. Well that's certainly different.

I assume the Beta-Emission is perfectly safe for prolonged human contact then?

/noob

significant quantities of Beta radiation, like all other forms of Ionising Radiation, can have a very detrimental effect, but the watch only contains 25 Millicuries of radioactive material, which means that the radiation dosage recieved by wearing the watch for a whole year is roughly 0.1mSv, and the average annual dosage of radiation for a person is roughly 6mSv :)

For reference - the mildest symptoms of acute radiation poisoning start at 250mSv and higher :)

Last edited:
I learned something new today and it's only four hours in! :D

Just stumbled across the Archimedes Pilot H watch. Lovely.

IMG_1883.jpg

(Pinched the photo from another forum.)

Black strap seems to suit it better, mind.

What are Steinhart like? They do some very nice watches, looking for a new one currently!

Just superb, apart from the name feel every bit as good as a Rolex, except two small detail, where the strap meets the case that one link on each side could do with being a fraction closer. Second thing the cyclops does not magnify quite as much as say a Rolex, but its no where near a problem.

Other than that superb, customer service second to none, send Gunter Steinhart an email direct and say you were recommended and he will probably throw in free shipping, thats 20 quid saved.

Just superb, apart from the name feel every bit as good as a Rolex, except two small detail, where the strap meets the case that one link on each side could do with being a fraction closer. Second thing the cyclops does not magnify quite as much as say a Rolex, but its no where near a problem.

Other than that superb, customer service second to none, send Gunter Steinhart an email direct and say you were recommended and he will probably throw in free shipping, thats 20 quid saved.

Sounds good - is that the only model you have? Any other brands for a similar budget you'd recommend that are of a similar quality?

Sounds good - is that the only model you have? Any other brands for a similar budget you'd recommend that are of a similar quality?

Christopher ward maybe, but i think they have priced themself out of the market they did so well in a little bit, iv got one kicking about somewhere i'l take a picture hang on.

Picture002-5.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

There you go not a bad watch for a cheapy, but if you want to spend say 400 quid ish on something as a daily beater, get a Steinhart, i dont think theres anything else even up to 1500 quid to touch them unless a big name is important to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, DiamondMark - very tempted by the Steinhart Ocean 1 Black. Not available for a while, so will have a look at others.

Back
Top Bottom