What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
I guess it's easy to look at Rolex, or perhaps an Omega AquaTerra but apart from Swiss; I really think a Grand Seiko Spring Drive/Hi-beat will meet all your requirements.

Its an absolutely beautiful, fantastic watch, the sweeping minutes hand is drool worthy and some of the dial options (*********, or the deep red sunburst) are just amazing.
  • Costs around £3k. (You can get one second hand for this amount, or shop around)
  • Max 42mm. (Yep, they are 39/40mm)
  • Swiss brand. (I think you should not have this as a requirement :) )
  • Is water resistant to around 100-200m. I don't need higher as the Pelagos will always be my rough and ready beach watch. (Yep, 100m)
  • Has a large power reserve (60 hours+) so I can not wear it for a couple of days and still have it going, as this has been awesome with my Pelagos. (Yep)
That would be my choice.

I wouldn't buy a Rolex, there are too many negative connotations for this brand to me. 3k doesn't get you much, anyway.

Also regarding wanting only a Swiss brand, that's my distinct personal preference and you are of course entitled to yours. My requirements won't change. :p

The Omega Aqua Terra however is a good shout, and has a 60 hour power reserve so I'll take a look see what I can find. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes my understanding is that you shouldn't swim with a speedmaster pro. I wouldn't in mine although my brother has in his with no bad effects.

Soldato
What about TAG Heuer, I quite like some of the Carrrera range.....please don't kill me lol. I think they tick most boxes apart from maybe the power reserve, I'm not sure what sort of reserve they have.

Don
Tag are generally very overpriced for what they are when new, used they make a better proposition, I have had several (short term ownership) but have never paid above 50% of new retail price, the Carrera does seem to hold value a bit better then some other models though

Don
Contemplating selling the JLC EWC when it comes back from service/repair, I'm working on the fact that it should come back immaculate and with a year's warranty so hopefully will get a decent price for it, if I wear it for a while after it comes back it will just be "another" used watch

Not sure what I would buy though, ideally would like a AP ROO but cant justify putting another 5k+ to it

Associate
W
Contemplating selling the JLC EWC when it comes back from service/repair, I'm working on the fact that it should come back immaculate and with a year's warranty so hopefully will get a decent price for it, if I wear it for a while after it comes back it will just be "another" used watch

Not sure what I would buy though, ideally would like a AP ROO but cant justify putting another 5k+ to it
What other watches do you have?

Soldato
Soldato
I like the black faced one but 2.5k for an 11 year old watch with no box or papers would put me off in all honesty.

Yea they were more examples. But you could probably pick one up with box and papers for around 3k if you shopped around...

Watch that old. Depreciation from the time you buy it is going to be non-existent. If that's something that concerns you.

In fact I picked up the white one 2 years ago for 2.4k with box and papers.

Soldato
Hi guys. As much as I love my Tudor Pelagos blue (seriously, I adore it) I also need something of equal quality for more formal occasions like work, or when I am simply not wearing things that go with blue. My Longines Hydroconquest will go to my old man.

Can I please have some ideas on a watch that:

• Costs around £3k.
  • Max 42mm.
  • Swiss brand.
  • Is water resistant to around 100-200m. I don't need higher as the Pelagos will always be my rough and ready beach watch.
  • Has a large power reserve (60 hours+) so I can not wear it for a couple of days and still have it going, as this has been awesome with my Pelagos.
Thought please, ladies and gents? :)
The Omega Seamaster 300mm fits that criteria nicely.

Cost £3k
41mm
Swiss
300 meters WR
48 hours PR

Associate
Was wearing Apple Watch 38mm until last night, putting it up for sale.

Now I'm looking around for non smart watches, Citizen Skyhawk got my attention, but I'm concerned it's going to look so out of place on my thin wrist. :(

Caporegime
What about TAG Heuer, I quite like some of the Carrrera range.....please don't kill me lol. I think they tick most boxes apart from maybe the power reserve, I'm not sure what sort of reserve they have.
I'm not a Tag fan, and their reputation has slid in the last decade due to so much gimmicky marketing and churning out a mass of mediocre entry-level watches. I don't respect them enough as a brand to have one on my wrist.

@Richdog - I'd go for a IWC perhaps? I currently rock an IWC GST Chronograph, gets a few comments, mainly from people who know a thing or two about watches. Otherwise it slips under the radar.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/IWC/GST Chronograph/IW370713/2066/item/78628

or in black

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/IWC/GST Chronograph/IW370708/2065/item/78513

Rational or irrational, I would be a bit nervous and hesitant about putting 3k into a 10-15 year old watch...

Even though it has a lower power reserve than I want, I'm thinking maybe an Omega Seamaster 300M for 3k, or maybe a planet ocean if it's not too ridiculously bulky.

The Aqua Terra is more pricey than I thought it was, but lovely too...

Soldato
Rational or irrational, I would be a bit nervous and hesitant about putting 3k into a 10-15 year old watch...

Even though it has a lower power reserve than I want, I'm thinking maybe an Omega Seamaster 300M for 3k, or maybe a planet ocean if it's not too ridiculously bulky.

It's your money :) can't go wrong with an Omega.

My next purchase is either a Omega Aqua terra or an IWC Portuguese w/ leather straps. Something more casual!

Believe the planet ocean comes in two sizes. So you might be alright going for the smaller one.

Soldato
I have a Planet Ocean and it is quite a big watch, I have large wrists so it is fine on me. I tried on a 300m and it looked tiny on my wrists, which is a pity as I do really like the look of it.

Soldato
Believe the planet ocean comes in two sizes. So you might be alright going for the smaller one.

It comes in two dial sizes, but it's very thick no matter which you choose. I tried a 42mm on last week and while it looked fine from above, the sheer thickness of the thing made it look horrific on my wrist. It'd be fine for a weekend I expect, but it certainly wouldn't be any good with a shirt on.

Associate
I'm not a Tag fan, and their reputation has slid in the last decade due to so much gimmicky marketing and churning out a mass of mediocre entry-level watches. I don't respect them enough as a brand to have one on my wrist.

Before you look at the new Seamaster, try to view an older wave dial variant in person first. It looks amazing in person (well I'm a proud owner so I should know :p)

Back
Top Bottom