What watch do you wear?

Associate
Quick question for the experts: How do you go about getting a valuation done and what would be a reasonable expectation of cost?

I'm interested in getting a bit of history on a vintage watch and to see if I need to get separate insurance on it..

Post it up here and we may be able to advise you or point you in the right direction. A lot of valuers will want a % of the value they give as payment for the evaluation....i'm sure you can see the issue with this ;).

Associate
Ok great thanks, I'll post it later, although I cannot see any distinguishing marks on it apart from the word 'geneve' and '25 jewel automatic', it might not be worth much but a dating and a bit of history would be excellent.

It's quite banged up and I'd love to get it reconditioned as well so I might be asking for advice on that as well!

Caporegime
Well, despite the fact I had ordered and was on the waiting list where I live, I am doing a bit of travelling in Japan and was in Osaka and decided to pop into a couple of Rolex stores and lo-and-behold... one of them had what I was looking for... the Oyster Perpetual 39mm in white. Combined with a tax refund, it also came in at around 7% cheaper than the rrp of $5400! Very happy about that as literally nowhere I had previously seen had any stock.

Here's a couple of very quick photos I took while out and about (sorry about the armhair clumps and fingerprints and smudges but it's super humid here and I was sweating buckets, ugh)...

67824360_10156037967701330_4970534152370651136_o.jpg
67375430_10156037977546330_4384235077396070400_o.jpg

I really like it and the bracelet is very fine looking and easy to work with.. The white face is elegant, perfectly proportioned and is imo a timelessly classic design. The lack of a date function will mean no more annoyance having to change the date every time I don't wear it for a few days.

Rolex apparently have a new movement that they are migrating to their various ranges with a 70 hour power reserve and siicone spring but it comes with the downside that some of the parts (rotor) can't be replaced. As such, I have no regrets about having the older Calibre 3132 which is a proven champ and easy to maintain.

This is a watch that I will be proud to wear when going out smartly, at work, formal or informal. Despite what I think about Rolexes and some of the negative the brand connotations, you cannot help but look at it and say "now that is a nice watch". It is understated and elegant, a gentleman's timepiece.

EDIT - nice little review here that summarizes what I think http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/20...l-is-this-the-perfect-all-rounder-from-rolex/

@Richdog great collection. I'd argue you need something like an IWC, or more formal dress watch though... ;)

https://www.iwc.com/fr/fr/watch-collections/portugieser/iw503501-portugieser-annual-calendar.html

That should do it... :p
Hah cheers mate but that's a liiitttlleee out of my price range. :p I think the new Rolex will be formal enough for the ties I have to worry about that. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Evening gents,

Here is the watch in question, it reads:

'Geneve'
'25 Jewls'
'Super Automatic'
'Unbreakable Mainspring'
'Incabloc'

As mentioned it may not be worth much but if anyone can point me in the direction of some general information about the watch that would be fantastic, even the manufacturer of possible?! Sorry, I'm a right novice with watches!

Apologies for the awful resolution as well, photobucket seems to be changing the quality drastically, I'll have to find another host.

Soldato
After some googling it appears to be the same as this watch.
Well found.
It's a shame it's plated rather than rolled gold, and the size works against it from a value standpoint, but can nonetheless still work well on certain wrists.

If it's sentimental, I'd get it serviced by a competent watchmaker, but bear in mind that the cost of the service is very likely to be substantially more than the sale value of the piece.

Caporegime
I really, quite like that. Nice and simple. It will garner admiring glances, without screaming 'I AM A ROLEX' :D
Thanks mate that is exactly the look I am going for... hopefully the watch if treated well won't go down in value either! This may be the only year that there is an OP 39mm with white face and the older calibre. :)

Associate
So I’m turning 40 in march next year, plus were expecting our first (and only child!) in November so Ive started saving for a watch to mark both occasions. Ive narrowed it down to one of the following, Omega 007 Commanders watch, Aqua Terra 007, Omega Moonwatch, or maybe the Tudor North Flag although much prefer an Omega, currently have an Oris Aquis Staghorn Restoration limited edition. Don’t want to go much over 4K, any other recommendations pls? Or maybe an opinion on which of the ones I mentioned you’d go for. Happy with second hand or new.

Soldato
So I’m turning 40 in march next year, plus were expecting our first (and only child!) in November so Ive started saving for a watch to mark both occasions. Ive narrowed it down to one of the following, Omega 007 Commanders watch, Aqua Terra 007, Omega Moonwatch, or maybe the Tudor North Flag although much prefer an Omega, currently have an Oris Aquis Staghorn Restoration limited edition. Don’t want to go much over 4K, any other recommendations pls? Or maybe an opinion on which of the ones I mentioned you’d go for. Happy with second hand or new.

Omega make some amazing watches, so you've made some good selections already. However.....Have you considered the Rolex Air King?

Soldato
Speedy Pro for me, out of those

Associate
Just snagged an Orient Maestro from ebay to go with my Ray. The bracelet is a bit naff and basic, but I do love the way the blue catches the light on the white dial. Hoping I somehow manage to find a Mako USA II, though being exclusively for the USA, I'm worried about the customs fees.

tJsR0Kk.jpg

lxymhw5.jpg

Associate
Ta for suggestions, moon watch is now close second to the bond aqua terra, few months to think about it anyway! Need to visit a store and try a few for size now.

Back
Top Bottom