What watch do you wear?

Associate
Those watches cost a small fortune to service when they go wrong. They are also not as robust or as water proof as their Rolex Oyster equivalent.

Yeah they do :D. I wouldn't ever buy one for those reasons. And of course they're not as robust or water proof, they're not designed to be. It's truly into the realm of absolutely silly, silly money! But they're often very different and as such I just find them more interesting.

As it is I think Rolex servicing is also overpriced. They're a brand name, take the name Rolex off the watch and it won't be half as popular even if it's just as good. I just don't think the watches are all that special. Not bad, just not special as a whole (though I don't hate them). I'm not slating your watch at all, as I said, it's just a subjective opinion. I have a Seiko that cost way too much for what it is just because I like how it looks so I'm not immune to over paying for things.

Soldato
As it is I think Rolex servicing is also overpriced.

Your looking at upwards of £600 to get a Rolex Sports model serviced, that said an Omega Seamaster would be at least £400. I do agree an independent would do servicing work cheaper.

That said I've seen horror stories of Rolex watches being over-polished by independents. Go and look on Chrono 24, look at the older Rolex's (say 20+ years). If you look close you will often find over polished lugs, or side profile not quite correct, Rolex will not make a mistake like this.

On older Rolex the problem is not the cost however, the problem is Rolex have been swapping out vintage parts. I have a tritium dial Rolex Submariner, and there is a risk Rolex swap out rare / older parts on more vintage models.

EDIT.

Just had a quick look and found this Rolex Sub Date on Chrono 24 - if you look closely at the top right lug, you notice the profile is not quite the same. At some point someone other then Rolex has polished this watch and not got it quite right.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/su...r-perpetual-ref-16610-p-serie--id19272883.htm

Last edited:
Associate
And there they have you over a barrel as they can limit parts supply. The more I think about it the more I realise that a good part of my problem with Rolex is how they go about their business. But hey, it clearly works!

As for independent servicing, it's just a case of finding someone you trust to do the work properly. I'd expect Rolex to do a proper job for what they want in return, even then you see some horror stories about official servicing. But there are horror stories for every company.

Soldato
horror stories about official servicing. But there are horror stories for every company.

The Rolex servicing is very high quality, all the way from dropping the watch off into an AD to receiving it again.

The only issue is if you have a more vintage Rolex, and Rolex swap out your vintage parts. That said I have phoned Rolex before and there is ways to ensure this does not happen (speak to the right person!). The Rolex service centre that's more personal / accommodating is Saint James Sq London, before I've had a watch specifically sent there and not Kent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Speedmaster arrived yesterday :)

A few pics and thoughts!

I knew the box was big from the countless videos I've seen, but when it's in front of you it's absolutely ridiculous, weighing 3.5kg and is huge. It's a real experience unboxing one of these, beyond anything I've unboxed previously.

The additional two straps, velco and black nato I'm a fan of. Spring bar tool looks decent also. Really nice book of the Speedmaster and its links with NASA, lovely finished. I don't care much for the medallion.

Lifted out the main box:

FwMLh5C.jpg

Straight to the most important thing in the box:

PqPbfNg.jpg

Feels a lot lighter than my SMPc. The hesalite crystal is beautiful, has an organic feel about how it captures the light. Moving the watch to the extreme sides you get this lovely distortion, like liquid. It's really charming and warm.

I'm conscious that it will pick up scuffs and scratches easily. Like all my watches (apart from my G Shock beater) I will treat them nicely, but I'm not going to worry or baby it. I've seen how effective Polywatch is with this crystal, all but the worst battle scars can be removed with some elbow grease and a tube of Polywatch.

tvF9iv1.jpg

The movement feels amazing to wind. My Khaki Field Mechanical is nice to wind, this feels even nicer. Crisp positive clicks with a nice amount of resistance. Pushers feel nice and solid. It's a little weird seeing the large outer seconds hand not moving, due to it being used for the chronograph and I do keep glancing at it thinking the watch has stopped. :p

Qq5RZqC.jpg

Feels nice and comfortable on the wrist with the bracelet. I bought some Loctite screwlock as I thought I'd have to remove a link, but turns out I only had to move the micro adjustment to the smaller setting. Fits perfectly! Really pleased about this. I'm ok with re-sizing bracelets and did so with my SMPc, but I'd rather not have to!

At some point, I'll remove the bracelet and start experimenting with different straps, this I am really looking forward to as I know how much of a strap monster it is.

vcPigcy.jpg

Really happy. It's everything I thought it would be on the wrist and more. I stepped outside last night and had a look up at the night sky whilst wearing the Speedmaster. I just love the strong history this watch has and how closely it links with my interests.

One last pic:

FfilWoZ.jpg

Soldato
Great write up, very pleased for you. I wore mine today whilst BBQing and it made me smile each time I looked down to time the ribeye. Urban Gentry did a video on it as well which I watched this morning. He suggested we get the 2021 strap and retrofit it, as the strap on this is a bit clumsy. It does wear very differently I found to the SMPc strap, which for some reason (possibly because it was my first proper watch) wears insanely comfortably.

Man of Honour
Very nice, and a proper Speedmaster :cool:

Are those dial lume markers tritium tubes? They look it from the shape but could be wrong. And this is what it's all about, watches with historical significance.

Also, that's a penis at 12 :eek:

Soldato
Great write up, very pleased for you. I wore mine today whilst BBQing and it made me smile each time I looked down to time the ribeye. Urban Gentry did a video on it as well which I watched this morning. He suggested we get the 2021 strap and retrofit it, as the strap on this is a bit clumsy. It does wear very differently I found to the SMPc strap, which for some reason (possibly because it was my first proper watch) wears insanely comfortably.

It's just such an iconic piece. I agree strongly with what I read a while back at how the Speedmaster looks and feels like an old piece made in modern times.

I actually watched that Urban Gentry video this morning. I disagree with him about the new model keeping with the history of the previous models, as It's a completely different movement! Shall agree to disagree, TVG. :p

I'm going to look in to that 2021 strap, I'm not entirely sure it will look OK on my wrists though, with how it tapers down to a very narrow width, I have quite large wrists so shall have to see. It also looks like Omega are going to want ~£700 for it from what I've seen on Reddit. Eyewatering!

I've seen some chatter also about UnkleSeiko which could be worth a look at. He is guy that produces a range of bracelets for Seiko and Omega watches, which look interesting and sensibly priced. - I'm no watch snob, it doesn't have to be an Omega brand strap or bracelet on an Omega watch for me. Whatever works and looks good, I'm good with.

Very nice, and a proper Speedmaster :cool:

Are those dial lume markers tritium tubes? They look it from the shape but could be wrong. And this is what it's all about, watches with historical significance.

Cheers :)

Not tritium, Superluminova. I need to test out the lume tonight actually. Watches with history is definitely something that I'm in to. Likely to be a rabbit hole in the future! :rolleyes::D

Soldato
The Omega Speedmaster is a beautiful watch, and of course all the heritage. To this day these watches are still worn by NASA astronauts.

2StepSteve, I get mixed up, but one of the Speedmasters has a movement more similar to the original Speedmaster, is this the one you have purchased here?

Soldato
The Omega Speedmaster is a beautiful watch, and of course all the heritage. To this day these watches are still worn by NASA astronauts.

2StepSteve, I get mixed up, but one of the Speedmasters has a movement more similar to the original Speedmaster, is this the one you have purchased here?

I've purchased the 1861 movement model (Ref: 311.30.42.30.01.005), which is now discontinued. Stock is starting to dry up of it. It's not the exact movement that went to the Moon, but is close to it and isn't priced too crazy. There have been a few upgrades to this 1861 movement, but it is a descendent of the original 321 movement that went to the Moon.

The 2021 model of the Omega Speedmaster is a completely different movement, a modern Omega co-axial movement and bears no relation to the previous movements. It has hacking, is certified to be more accurate, slightly longer power reserve and has a higher resistance to magnetic fields. But if you like and want that history connection, the new model doesn't tick the boxes for me.

Soldato
I've purchased the 1861 movement model (Ref: 311.30.42.30.01.005), which is now discontinued. Stock is starting to dry up of it. It's not the exact movement that went to the Moon, but is close to it and isn't priced too crazy. There have been a few upgrades to this 1861 movement, but it is a descendent of the original 321 movement that went to the Moon.

Thanks for clarifying, I knew there was a movement close to the original, however did not know the movement numbers.

I did not realise this was discontinued, I 100% agree with what you have done, as you've purchased the version that's closer to the original. Also this watch will be the classic / more desired watch going forward in years to come.

Soldato
Thanks for clarifying, I knew there was a movement close to the original, however did not know the movement numbers.

I did not realise this was discontinued, I 100% agree with what you have done, as you've purchased the version that's closer to the original. Also this watch will be the classic / more desired watch going forward in years to come.

I think the decision is a strange one by Omega. I get they want to refresh the movement and design, but to not leave or have something in this price bracket anymore is bizarre. This movement felt like a good compromise between old and new, nothing too radically different, but more reliable and that 5 year warranty is definitely gives piece of mind over buying anything vintage.

Soldato
Yes I agree, you would have thought they would have just evolved the better movement.

Maybe some point in the future they bring this movement back. The good news is have purchased a version with the better movement, and you have this watch forever if you want :).

Soldato
Yes I agree, you would have thought they would have just evolved the better movement.

Maybe some point in the future they bring this movement back. The good news is have purchased a version with the better movement, and you have this watch forever if you want :).
They did really quite recently? It's just harder to find that the more common co-axial. And more expensive. But very, very pretty from the back.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-speedmaster-calibre-321-chronograph-39-7-mm-31130403001001

Associate
Your looking at upwards of £600 to get a Rolex Sports model serviced, that said an Omega Seamaster would be at least £400. I do agree an independent would do servicing work cheaper.

Just had a quick look and found this Rolex Sub Date on Chrono 24 - if you look closely at the top right lug, you notice the profile is not quite the same. At some point someone other then Rolex has polished this watch and not got it quite right.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/su...r-perpetual-ref-16610-p-serie--id19272883.htm

I honestly cannot see the difference? How are you so sure?

Soldato
Speedmaster arrived yesterday :)

A few pics and thoughts!

I knew the box was big from the countless videos I've seen, but when it's in front of you it's absolutely ridiculous, weighing 3.5kg and is huge. It's a real experience unboxing one of these, beyond anything I've unboxed previously.

The additional two straps, velco and black nato I'm a fan of. Spring bar tool looks decent also. Really nice book of the Speedmaster and its links with NASA, lovely finished. I don't care much for the medallion.

Lifted out the main box:
FwMLh5C.jpg

Straight to the most important thing in the box:

PqPbfNg.jpg

Feels a lot lighter than my SMPc. The hesalite crystal is beautiful, has an organic feel about how it captures the light. Moving the watch to the extreme sides you get this lovely distortion, like liquid. It's really charming and warm.

I'm conscious that it will pick up scuffs and scratches easily. Like all my watches (apart from my G Shock beater) I will treat them nicely, but I'm not going to worry or baby it. I've seen how effective Polywatch is with this crystal, all but the worst battle scars can be removed with some elbow grease and a tube of Polywatch.

tvF9iv1.jpg

The movement feels amazing to wind. My Khaki Field Mechanical is nice to wind, this feels even nicer. Crisp positive clicks with a nice amount of resistance. Pushers feel nice and solid. It's a little weird seeing the large outer seconds hand not moving, due to it being used for the chronograph and I do keep glancing at it thinking the watch has stopped. :p

Qq5RZqC.jpg

Feels nice and comfortable on the wrist with the bracelet. I bought some Loctite screwlock as I thought I'd have to remove a link, but turns out I only had to move the micro adjustment to the smaller setting. Fits perfectly! Really pleased about this. I'm ok with re-sizing bracelets and did so with my SMPc, but I'd rather not have to!

At some point, I'll remove the bracelet and start experimenting with different straps, this I am really looking forward to as I know how much of a strap monster it is.

vcPigcy.jpg

Really happy. It's everything I thought it would be on the wrist and more. I stepped outside last night and had a look up at the night sky whilst wearing the Speedmaster. I just love the strong history this watch has and how closely it links with my interests.

One last pic:

FfilWoZ.jpg

That's beautiful. I gotta ask, what camera is that?!

Back
Top Bottom