What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I pulled the trigger on a Max Bill Automatic over the weekend. Managed to get 15% off, which pushed me over the edge.

Gone for white dial, no date, numerals with black leather calf strap. The lure of that historic minimalistic dial. It just had to be the model with the numerals, I just love the font. The '4'! Went for the automatic as it's slightly larger at 38mm so not to get too lost on my chunky wrist.

There is a space in my collection for a new pilot watch and I've been considering them but that can wait. As this piece is more fitting for the time - I've recently had a promotion, so looks to be a perfect gift to myself and with dressy nature of the Max Bill means I won't have any issues wearing it at work with a suit, so it will get the wrist time.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Associate
I pulled the trigger on a Max Bill Automatic over the weekend. Managed to get 15% off, which pushed me over the edge.

Gone for white dial, no date, numerals with black leather calf strap. The lure of that historic minimalistic dial. It just had to be the model with the numerals, I just love the font. The '4'! Went for the automatic as it's slightly larger at 38mm so not to get too lost on my chunky wrist.

There is a space in my collection for a new pilot watch and I've been considering them but that can wait. As this piece is more fitting for the time - I've recently had a promotion, so looks to be a perfect gift to myself and with dressy nature of the Max Bill means I won't have any issues wearing it at work with a suit, so it will get the wrist time.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Great choice. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of that. 15% off was what swung it for me on the hand wind also. I only have small wrists so the 34mm works fine. I think the 38mm would have been ok too. The dial and the font are stunning and the way it catches the light is brilliant.

Soldato
Great choice. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of that. 15% off was what swung it for me on the hand wind also. I only have small wrists so the 34mm works fine. I think the 38mm would have been ok too. The dial and the font are stunning and the way it catches the light is brilliant.

I'll definitely post some shots up when it arrives, which seems to be tomorrow as it's already shipped on next day service. The money off definitely sparked me to get it.

You seem to be happy with yours, hopefully I'll be the same.

I normally don't like Milanese bracelets but I've seen some pics and I think it really looks good on the Max Bill, 100% suits it. Gone down a rabbit hole of Milanese bracelets, seems like Junghans offer two types, polished or satin. Thinking satin would likely be the way to go, the watch case is highly polished so should contrast better and not be too flashy on the wrist. Shall let the Max Bill arrive first before going any further with this though :D

Associate
Yes, very happy with mine. It didn't wow me when I first opened the box like I expected but it quickly grew on me and I love the dial. I also like the daily connection to the watch due to having to wind it up (I know you've gone for the auto).

Milanese bracelet....interested to see what that looks like. A quick image search and I'm still unsure - these things always look better in the flesh.

Man of Honour
A matching vintage buckle finally arrived. It's titanium off eBay and was only £7. Since Laco don't do a matching buckle "(currently), this is the next best option really. Period correct too for the era of a Flieger I think.

20220201_172943.jpg

Soldato
The Junghans Max Bill Automatic arrived today.

vqGDbLu.jpg

The Max Bill comes in quite a few different variants, but I knew straight away if I were to get one, it had to be the numeric model. The typeface used is so aesthetically pleasing to me. So fresh and clean and it has a bit more personality than the non numeric model, which I think looks a bit sterile. This really speaks to me.

The '4'!

Cg4ySyd.jpg

I'm not generally against date windows but I chose not to go for one on the Max Bill as I felt a date window would detract from the minimal and clean design of the dial. With such a thin bezel, the dial really pops on the wrist. The colour of the dial seems to shift from white to silver depending upon the ambient light.

KQdoDFt.jpg

I have a couple of manual winds in my collection and whilst I appreciate the ritual of manual wind; this will get worn for work on consecutive days and I want to be able to grab it and go. Power reserve is 38hr from the ETA based automatic movement. The rotor of the automatic movement on mine isn't very noisy, some pointed out that it is else where.

The Max Bill seems to walk a line between dressy and casual. The black leather calf strap is good quality and very supple making it extremely comfortable to wear, the watch in general is extremely comfortable on the wrist, short lugs hug the wrist. At 38mm it's a small wear on my 7.5" wrist, but not stupidly small and suitable in dress situations.

The domed crystal really makes it and adds warmth and a classic presence on the wrist. It's really quite a unique looking piece over all.

PJk7ryd.jpg

The coating that they apply on the Max Bill plexi crystal was initially a sore spot for me. It's called Sicralan and is applied to reduce reflections and add some scratch protection. It being present rules out polishing out scratches with Polywatch. Which is annoying. I could have gone with the sapphire crystal model but I'd prefer to have the classic look (I did the same with the Speedmaster). The crystal can be replaced cheaply and it being worn mostly in office environment under a cuff means it should be fine. So figured in the end it's a non issue.

The lume, like everything are very tastefully done. The pips on 12, 3, 6 and 9!

qsbCFaG.jpg

MHwuSeE.jpg

Worth the asking price? I'd say not unless you get a discount. The Max Bill is tastefully understated with a very strong history. But the pricing I feel is on the steep side with no discount.

I'll be starting to look at some other strap options eventually (possibly Milanese, but the thing that concerns me about those is hair pinching; I've got a lot of it up for grabs!) but out of the box, I am very happy with the black leather provided.

Last edited:
Soldato
@2StepSteve

Congrats mate that looks understatedly elegant. Perfect pics to show it off too!

I know I wanted the Max Bill as soon as I saw it many years ago. It was only till my wife wanted to get me an anniversary gift did it become a reality.

old pics, could do with some recent ones.

uc

uc

uc

Permabanned
The Junghans Max Bill Automatic arrived today.

The Max Bill comes in quite a few different variants, but I knew straight away if I were to get one, it had to be the numeric model. The typeface used is so aesthetically pleasing to me. So fresh and clean and it has a bit more personality than the non numeric model, which I think looks a bit sterile. This really speaks to me.

I'm not generally against date windows but I chose not to go for one on the Max Bill as I felt a date window would detract from the minimal and clean design of the dial. With such a thin bezel, the dial really pops on the wrist. The colour of the dial seems to shift from white to silver depending upon the ambient light.

I have a couple of manual winds in my collection and whilst I appreciate the ritual of manual wind; this will get worn for work on consecutive days and I want to be able to grab it and go. Power reserve is 38hr from the ETA based automatic movement. The rotor of the automatic movement on mine isn't very noisy, some pointed out that it is else where.

The Max Bill seems to walk a line between dressy and casual. The black leather calf strap is good quality and very supple making it extremely comfortable to wear, the watch in general is extremely comfortable on the wrist, short lugs hug the wrist. At 38mm it's a small wear on my 7.5" wrist, but not stupidly small.

The domed crystal really makes it and adds warmth and a classic presence on the wrist. It's really quite a unique looking piece over all.

The coating that they apply on the Max Bill plexi crystal was initially a sore spot for me. It's called Sicralan and is applied to reduce reflections and add some scratch protection. It being present rules out polishing out scratches with Polywatch. Which is annoying. I could have gone with the sapphire crystal model but I'd prefer to have the classic look (I did the same with the Speedmaster). The crystal can be replaced cheaply and it being worn mostly in office environment under a cuff means it should be fine. So figured in the end it's a non issue.

The lume, like everything are very tastefully done. The pips on 12, 3, 6 and 9!

Worth the asking price? I'd say not unless you get a discount. The Max Bill is tastefully understated with a very strong history. But the pricing I feel is on the steep side with no discount.

I'll be starting to look at some other strap options eventually (possibly Milanese, but the thing that concerns me about those is hair pinching; I've got a lot of it up for grabs!) but out of the box, I am very happy with the black leather provided.

I love the simplicity / subtleness of that... very my kinda thing.

I just added a new watch to my collection... ordered a while ago, but just arrived:

foto-no-exif-4.jpg

Soldato
@2StepSteve

Congrats mate that looks understatedly elegant. Perfect pics to show it off too!

I know I wanted the Max Bill as soon as I saw it many years ago. It was only till my wife wanted to get me an anniversary gift did it become a reality.

Thanks dude! That's a lovely chrono of the Max Bill you got there, a total beast of an anniversary gift! Looks great on the mesh also I see. Was the mesh on the watch when it was bought?

Those are very cool, how long does the lume last?

Not fully tested yet but I can tell it's not going to be a Seiko Monster in the lume longevity department. :)

@2StepSteve that's awesome. Great description and a perfect fit.

Cheers! Fellow Max Bill brother! :D

Man of Honour
I love the simplicity / subtleness of that... very my kinda thing.

I just added a new watch to my collection... ordered a while ago, but just arrived:

foto-no-exif-4.jpg

Quick gif/vid of that in action? Must be a mission to exact time sync though what with no time markers :p

I've worn the Hamilton today after so long. Forgot what it was like and for a brief spell recently even put it up for sale but have since retracted it because I came to my senses. The boxed mineral crystal looks really classic but with the AR coating adds a modern touch. Still not scratched which is a surprise given comments online crying about it being mineral.

lq8VwBU.jpg

Soldato
Hi,

What would you guys reccomend for the 2-2.5k mark? I've seen a few different ones that catch my eyes, such as Sinn or Oris. Reccomendations would be greatful :) I do have large hands/wrists so preferably something with a both of size to it.

Back
Top Bottom