• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What will be your 3 main factors for deciding on your next GPU?

What will be your 3 main deciding factors for your next gpu (ignoring external factors)?

• Total voters
Rasterization raw HP though DLSS and FSR are both very useful technologies. Need at least 50% performance increase to bother upgrading from 3080 10GB and then still dependent on price / resale value of current card.

Sanity goes out the window anyway when one must have 'shiny'. Wish they'd do AIO's on release or brackets like NZXT did for AIO solutions.

Sounds like high end next gen cards will start to run 4k @ 120fps in most titles (MSFS aside) and if perfomance hype is true then true 4k utopia gaming has been reached. Maybe Nvidia realise that people wont need much more after this gen, hence the eye watering prices. If you are 1440p you dont really need nmore than than current gen.

Where next....8k? Would you go 8k 30fps or 60 fps from 4k 120fps? Either way, to run 8k at a playable 60fps min is another massive jump in GPU requirement and will take a while to get there. Only CRT's at one point had high refresh rates and are relatively a new must have - and will be required at higher resolutions

Ok it seems you can give a certain amount of votes as opposed to just the 1.

So maybe top 2 or 3 deciding factors i.e. you get 2 or 3 votes rather than just being able to vote for 1 option?

I wouldn't list VRAM amount as a specific thing for me, it should have more than enough is all I would say, and more than enough means 16GB or more for the next generation for me. Things I do consider important are;

1. Rasterization performance (I want the same sort of performance my 3070 can deliver at 1440P now at 4K so I can actually really take advantage of high refresh rates at 4K)
2. Feature set on offer i.e. shadowplay, dlss, fsr
3. Power consumption & efficiency
4. Ray tracing performance

Value for money is of course important but it's really an aggregate of the above points and how they combine at what price that will decide that for me, as I said above, the most important thing for me is a card that can delivery about the same sort of performance my 3070 can deliver at 1440P but at 4K so I can actually really take advantage of high refresh rates at 4K and I want it to be able to do that without using 'too much power' ...what too much is, well I don't know really, I don't have a precise figure in mind for that but perhaps 300w just for the board.

For me there needs to be a healthy increase in performance to make it worth while for this generation. I moved up to 4k and with the settings tweaked I'm getting 110 to 144 fps, it would be nice to get that with all settings at least on high.

I tend to play games when they are deeply discounted so RT won't be a factor for me.
This means that raster is still my main concern, followed by high VRAM for modding and texture packs and the best performance under 300W.

Priority list:
1. In-kernel linux driver support
2. Open standards features - rather than proprietary vendor gated features
5. Power consumption / Efficiency
6. Performance

I buy AMD.

Ray tracing is a close 4th for me, but I just think the other choices are fundamentally more important. Next gen? I think RT will be more important as raster should be at an acceptable level all round for 4k, and I do t think 8k will be widely adopted even then.

Bookmark this to remind me I said it in 2 years when everyone is on 8k screens!

1) RT
2) Features like DLSS, FSR
3) I've chose power consumption and efficiency, but is more about price.

vRAM is a non issue and rasterization, I feel, will slowly drift away.

Last edited:
Cards these days crush rasterisation rendering. The only thing really requiring cards that are any better is RT.

I can't see 8K gaming ever being a thing, as we have physical limits on how big a monitor can be.

Last edited:
Oh and...
4) I will give my money to whoever will revitalize Voxel or voxel-like technology through hardware acceleration. It has always been a relative minority in tech and it's going through a minor renaissance, however without proper hardware support it's always going to be 20 years behind in looks as there is not enough horsepower to push higher resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom