When are you going fully electric?

lol, a bit touchy are we? No need to doubt my driving skill because I dared to insult one of the blandest give up on life cars ever released. There were multiple times I had to drop two or three gears getting onto a motorway after a short slip road. So I stand by my dangerous comment, at least relative to any car with even mediocre performance. Or when overtaking at 60 you absolutely had to drop a gear or two to make the overtake safe unless the road behind was clear for miles. I remember timing it once to see how long it took to accelerate from 60 to 70 in top gear and it was 13 seconds.

The iX20 is even more dangerous because it is an automatic and very slow/reluctant to drop down a gear. I now know why some of those old dears sit at the end of a slip road like they are giving way. The truth is their 1.1 petrol automatic just ran out of slip road and they had to stop or die :D
Exactly. People going too slow are often more of an issue on the road than those going too fast. Last night some clown couldn’t join the a38 fast enough ahead of a lorry but just assumed the lorry would move over for him. Panic braking eventually ensued.

But obviously we are terrible drivers for having this point of view. I mean I bet you haven’t had to tame a 350z either. I missed out on such defining moments :(

Last edited:
Hopefully the lower powered Dacia Spring will be a very niche proposition for those desperate to replace their Aixam Microcar. The higher powered variant should be adequate enough to at least not be a liability.

The unfortunate reality on the roads is that what was adequate back in the 1960s was fine... Because all cars were of equal(ish) performance.

We are now in an age of hyper car acceleration being on tap in a family SUV. It's mental out there sometimes when you combine that performance with someone who hasn't got the mentality to use it responsibly.

Exactly. People going too slow are often more of an issue on the road than those going too fast. Last night some clown couldn’t join the a38 fast enough ahead of a lorry but just assumed the lorry would move over for him. Panic braking eventually ensued.

But obviously we are terrible drivers for having this point of view. I mean I bet you haven’t had to tame a 350z either. I missed out on such defining moments :(

I actually did own a 350z and it was fun for the 3 months before I had to sell it, as I got a new job requiring a boot to transport stuff. I currently own an I-Pace but have had loads of cars that gave around 8 - 9 seconds 0 to 60 that I found perfectly fine. Though I try to aim for sub 8 seconds where possible.

The problem with the Qashqai was with a 0 - 60 of nearly 13 seconds (or about 15 if you had passengers) and the often overlooked 50 - 70 mph times of "who has time for this ****". It left you with many occassions of being completely out of "oomph" without dropping two or three gears to overtake or or join a motorway safely. It took very carfeull planning to get on to a dual carraigeway with no slip roads to speak off. So you ended up driving this give up on life car like it was a sports car, just to keep it near the power band and even then every maneuver that required any acceleration had to be planned like it was a potential suicide mission. I remember I had to trash the crap out of it to get it to overtake a tractor on a B road once. 5th gear on a B road was asking for trouble, it may have stalled out on you ;)

We are now in an age of hyper car acceleration being on tap in a family SUV.
they need the stability and traction control too , I'd wrongly assumed 350z was rwd.

not unexpected revelation, are the chinese manufacturers really giving buy back offers, too.

Ayvens, the biggest multibrand leasing firm, already has received checks in recent weeks to make up for slumping prices, according to CEO Tim Albertsen. Leasing companies are demanding concessions from EV makers, including agreements that manufacturers will buy back vehicles, to protect against further erosion in the $1.2 trillion second-hand car market.
as weakening demand for new battery-powered cars prompted Tesla to slash sticker prices, forcing others to follow suit. The moves are reverberating through leasing firms, such as Europe-focused Societe Generale Ayvens and BNP Paribas Arval, which serve as middlemen in the corporate car market that accounts for roughly 60 percent of sales in the region.
But major corporate customers have started to pull back. SAP this month said it will stop offering Teslas to employees because fluctuating prices are complicating planning and risk management. The move added to pressure after Hertz in January decided to offload 20,000 EVs from its fleet. Europe’s biggest rental company, Sixt, also said in December would drop Teslas.
All EV manufacturers are now offering buyback guarantees to leasing companies to keep selling new battery cars, said Ursula Weigl, a partner at McKinsey consultancy. While this helps shift risk into the future, carmakers remain on the hook to find used-car buyers at a decent price, or risk writedowns.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/used-ev-prices-fall-automakers-repay-leasing-firms 22/02

How did he manage to decide that it wasn’t rwd from all that. Mind boggling
i am not gonna lie, i miss mine....... i would possibly still have it today had we not had a family. The worst thing about it, when we got rid of it (for the maligned 1.5 diesel QQ mentioned earlier) i had to PAY £5000 for the privalege on top as well!...................but that is way ot for this thread now so.......

more on topic, i am looking at a review of the BYD seal now, it looks a proper contender to trade blows with the model 3..... the challenge all model 3 (or any tesla) rivals will have tho is that tesla charging infrastructure.... only snag with it - also commented above as a problem with non SUV evs is the battery slab on the bottom means you cant stretch your feet out under the drivers seat in the back.

Last edited:
Is there any small electric car available that I can use for under 40 miles a day, ideally looking for something second-hand for under £3k? I saw some 2014/15 Nissan Leaf available at circa 2.5k to 3k, which I assume is because the battery is knackered? But one of these might work for me, even with an old battery?

Last edited:
Is there any small electric car available that I can use for under 40 miles a day, ideally looking for something second-hand for under £3k? I saw some 2014/15 Nissan Leaf available at circa 2.5k to 3k, which I assume is because the battery is knackered? But one of these might work for me, even with an old battery?

With the leaf, luckily you can approximately guess the battery health by looking at the bars in the dash.. other then that, pretty much give it a good once over..

i think if prepared to travel and have your wits about you, the leaf should be do-able..

A battery lease Zoe mentioned above are rare down that end of the market, but why not consider one, I don't think the lease is that expensive..

Or be a maverick and there are bargain Seat Mo eScooters (125cc equivalent) that are brand new for less than half price (£2.5k!, RRP was £5800).. not quite as practical, but they just a rebadged Silence S01..

Last edited:
With the leaf, luckily you can approximately guess the battery health by looking at the bars in the dash.. other then that, pretty much give it a good once over..

i think if prepared to travel and have your wits about you, the leaf should be do-able..

A battery lease Zoe mentioned above are rare down that end of the market, but why not consider one, I don't think the lease is that expensive..

Interesting, I am looking about now, and found on these:
Peugeot ION

Last edited:
its a bit over budget but could be worth a haggle?

Interesting.
I only used the 3k figure, as my Son will be going to a new school soon, and I will have to take him in the mornings (rather than walking, as we do now). It's under 40 miles a day, but this will cost me about £3k a year based on 18 mpg in fuel alone :D

I may have to look at changing out my car for something else, rather than buy another vehicle, but right now a full electric would not suit as my main car.

Last edited:

Getting that back down south could be worth a thread in itself :D

Have been electric on the main family wagon for about a year now. ~1K miles a month. Averaging about 3p a mile as mostly charging at home with Octopus. Pre-heat in the mornings keeps the missus happy, and the electric power delivery is perfect around town. Complete get-in-and-drive experience that works wonders for a utility car.... no experience or fun to drive at all, but largely lost interest in that.

Back
Top Bottom