When are you going fully electric?

I have had cheep rate start at 10pm some times. Mine is controlled by the car API (Tesla model 3).

I plug in, manually stop charge and forget about it. Between 1 and 20 minutes later I get a charging plan.
So I got a model y two weeks ago and switched to Intelligent Go with a zappi yesterday .. I also found I had to stop the charge when I first plugged in, but thought I must have done something wrong.... So you have to do that everytime??

Octopus charger install is independent to you being with them so they should do the install anyway (I have used them) but they are one of the cheapest to use.

If you switching to Octopus make, get a referral code. I they have been amazing for us. We have solar and a battery and we are saving buckets!!

So I got a model y two weeks ago and switched to Intelligent Go with a zappi yesterday .. I also found I had to stop the charge when I first plugged in, but thought I must have done something wrong.... So you have to do that everytime??

You can leave it and they will stop the charge (it can be up to 30mins). But I’m applying a min / max’ing philosophy with my energy usage.

Last edited:
I have just ordered a Volvo EX30 but have to wait until about March next year :( I have a XC40 and run a lot to and from work on electric and based on what I have done the last three years on my lease it seems electric is going to be the best route for me.

Octopus charger install is independent to you being with them so they should do the install anyway (I have used them) but they are one of the cheapest to use.

If you switching to Octopus make, get a referral code. I they have been amazing for us. We have solar and a battery and we are saving buckets!!

We've already got the referral thanks.
Hopefully Solar next year, had a quote for 10x panels for £4,400 which should generate 4,500Kw.
Bloke said I'd be wasting money if I had a battery, just charge the car at cheap rate and let any extra go into the grid.
I'll ask those questions when I get closer.

Bloke said I'd be wasting money if I had a battery, just charge the car at cheap rate and let any extra go into the grid.

And they are wrong! My house battery saves us a crazy amount. Export at 15p is great at the moment (but will drop). But I can run my whole house at 6p (I have a leased ev with Octopus EV so I get an off peek discount) off peek rate.

For example my last bill had an average import rate of 7.19p with less than 6% used at peek rate.

I can charge my battery at cheep rate and also the extra intelligent periods.

And I got paid £35 for export of solar. The issue is you just can’t use it, if you just have solar.

I had just solar for about 8 months due to supply issues, and I didn’t save much just with solar.

Last edited:
And they are wrong! My house battery saves us a crazy amount. Export at 15p is great at the moment (but will drop). But I can run my whole house at 6p (I have a leased ev with Octopus EV so I get an off peek discount) off peek rate.

For example my last bill had an average import rate of 7.19p with less than 6% used at peek rate.

And I got paid £35 for export of solar. The issue is you just can’t use it.

I had just solar for about 8 months due to supply issues, and I didn’t save much just with solar.
This is the way.

How much does it save compared to the cost
I invested just under £8K and I will pay the system off in under 5 years.

I save £140-£180 a month easy.

Edit: that’s before I got the EV. So the tariff is saving me even more now, I was on Octopus go.

Edit 2: with just solar, I saved £30-60 a month

Last edited:

And I got paid £35 for export of solar. The issue is you just can’t use it, if you just have solar.

Which charger do you have?
According to Octopus the Ohme Home Pro won't work with a battery.

Which charger do you have?
According to Octopus the Ohme Home Pro won't work with a battery.
I just have a podpont charger so no intelligent integration (So use car API) My givenergy battery can’t “see” the charger demand as they split the infeed and installed a separate consumer unit for the podpoint. So I just moved the CT so the battery system just ignores the charger demand.

Last edited:
Yeah this poster is conflating market forces and demand with massive foreign government subsidies that create an unfair advantage and puts the domestic economy at risk.

Let me put it this way. If a European company spends £100 to make a widget and they can sell that widget for £120, then they make a profit. Now a Chinese state owned company can make that same widget for £90 and sell it for £110 to undercut the European company. The European company still has some margin to compete.

But if the Chinese state subsidises the Chinese widget maker by £30 per widget and they start selling them for £70, they still make a profit. Obviously the European company cannot compete and goes of business.

This only works short term to help gain market share, but is unsustainable longer term due to raising debts. It’s one of the reasons the Chinese economy is in decline.

If that European widget maker generates 25% of the local economy with jobs and wages, then it drives economic growth and stability for your region. So that European widget maker going out of business is an objectively terrible idea.

So just looking at your wallet is blinkered and short sighted for the local economy and for society as a whole. We did this decades ago when successive UK governments pushed to make the UK a service economy and decimated the manufacturing sector.

The EU obviously aren’t that short sighted and are protecting their and their populations interests.
This. So much is subsidised in China, which is why they can ship tat half way across the world and still make money because the CCP essentially pay shipping indirectly.

The biggest concern though is the CCP is a very proud party, it’s always about showing face and no matter what must not be shown up. The CCP are VERY thin skinned and do not take kindly to any kind of criticism, especially from the West, therefore holding them to account, once they have a monopoly on EV’s for things like Volkswagen emissions type scandals, dangerous, poor quality workmanship, warranty repairs, etc will be very hard when they can just tell us to do one. How’s that going to work out when China doesn’t follow a worlds based order and always follow up with like for like tariffs. This not a country you want to have a monopoly on for something as important as cars when you cannot hold them to account.

What, are we suddenly going to start adding huge tariffs on Chinese EV’s once everyone is only driving that countries models? I’m sure that’ll go down well with Joe Public when the price shoot’s up. Ah yes and you can forget them opening lots of factories in the West once they have that monopoly.

The China postage thing is because they are technically classified as a developing nation.
So the UK cost element is massively subsidised as well.

China has basically but not quite yet followed the our industrialisation on like x8 speed compared to how we did it.
But they are rapidly getting to the same point as us in some places (parts are still vastly behind us still). Where you have high dependency ratio, people who don't want manufacturing jobs they want white collar, costs are no longer cheap (they are still cheap compared to the West but not cheap by their standards and those of upcoming rivals to China).

One of the things that China gets a benefit from is that they are one of the main producers of many rare earth materials. That gives them a potential supply benefit vs everyone else.
Export price can be a lot higher and supply less reliable, with priority given to domestic producers.

For those with Intelligent Go.

I've noticed that Octopus recommend plugging your charger in at 5pm and then having an off time up to 11am then Intelligent Go will work out when they can give you cheap charging.
Have you ever noticed your car charging at the cheap rate during the evening or does it always kick in at 11.30pm?

I have a Ohme Home Pro and charging the car is done through the Ohme app. If you open the Octopus app it will open the Ohme app as it's not fully compatible or something like that. I still get the cheap rates though as the Ohme app is getting the info from the Octopus app. The Ohme app was updated a few weeks ago and some big changes were introduced. I had to disable the pricing cap which restricted the rate at 7.01p per kw and enable dynamic charging which I was in two minds about. I just went for it and closely monitored it and that day the car started charging at 20.00 and was complete by midnight and all at 7p per kw. Since then I have had many cheap charging sessions at all different times of the day. I plug my car in when I get out of it and have finished using it for the day. This can be anything as early as 10.30am, I never wait for 5pm and it's always worked out the charge schedule straight away.

Back
Top Bottom