When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yes. Although a bigger battery than the eNiro - just a big heavy car and range suffers accordingly. Etron would have cost almost double the price of the eNiro new (62k vs 34k).

eNiro- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355473396755
eTron - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326031422985

People on the eTron facebook groups finding Dealers offering 55's for less than this price as well. Looks like they're struggling to shift their old lease stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess it’s issue is that that its range is not that dissimilar to a ‘city car’ which the usual detractors love to slam and at £22k makes it a very expensive city car.

The old 55 is alright though as it does 200 miles in the real world and charges at an acceptable speed in terms of miles per time spent on the charger.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've heard various YTers say the e-Niro doesn't spin out as much as the Kona and that's the same drivetrain, but I guess a better tuned traction control system? or maybe just better tuned software/firmware? nuts if so. They need to open source car firmware so we can mess around with power curves :)

The new Niro or the original? My 2020 (original) will quite happily gouge a pair of troughs in the tarmac without going anywhere if I mash the accelerator if it's rained any time in the last few years...

I test drove the new one as well, and they've definitely improved the torque curve - still easy to spin if you're trying, but a lot less likely to do if you're not.

This looks interesting:

Depending what sort of boot space it has, that's definitely a contender for our next car (the 5 isn't great for an estate, maybe due to being built on a mixed/ICE platform?)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. Although a bigger battery than the eNiro - just a big heavy car and range suffers accordingly. Etron would have cost almost double the price of the eNiro new (62k vs 34k).

eNiro- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355473396755
eTron - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326031422985

People on the eTron facebook groups finding Dealers offering 55's for less than this price as well. Looks like they're struggling to shift their old lease stock.
wow if you can cope with 160 mile real world winter range that Etron is an insane amount of car for your money.

Last edited:
Soldato
damnit guys............. you are making me want to get rid of our i3 and get one of these to go with the ipace :D

(the mrs would be so ..... off at me however as she doesnt want 2 pure evs -our i3 has a rex not that we have needed it and only run it to keep it in good shape)

Last edited:
Soldato
I really liked the 55 when I tested it, just such a lovely place to sit in. Charge curve is good too
isn't that one of the cautions for long term ownership they are compromising battery life to get the charging curve,
don't know if they have bigger gross versus net battery size with high and low padding, versus the industry average, that can be re-allocated into net capacity as it ages.

Associate
Honestly there's so many different models in the second hand market that it makes choosing extremely hard.

The e tron looks nice although range is a bit pants.

The kona/niro are nice cars although a low mileage one will be closer to the asking price of the Ioniq5.

Or a couple of k more will get you an ev6.

Soldato
The e tron looks nice although range is a bit pants.
My I-Pace has been limited to 72% battery capacity for the last 6 months and hasn't been an issue tbh

Day to day - doesn't affect any journeys but just requires plugging in more often

Long journeys - Not too many of these but I personally don't mind stopping every ~150 miles for a top up tbh.

You could get a 250 mile range car but that's 3-4 hours of driving without a stop :o and if you do stop after 2 hours your battery is still at 40% and you don't get the benefit of the steep bit of the charge curve :D

Associate
My I-Pace has been limited to 72% battery capacity for the last 6 months and hasn't been an issue tbh

Day to day - doesn't affect any journeys but just requires plugging in more often

Long journeys - Not too many of these but I personally don't mind stopping every ~150 miles for a top up tbh.

You could get a 250 mile range car but that's 3-4 hours of driving without a stop :o and if you do stop after 2 hours your battery is still at 40% and you don't get the benefit of the steep bit of the charge curve :D
I'm guessing that you're waiting on Jaguar to sort this out for you? 6 months seems a bloody long time to be waiting though! Or have you gone over 100k miles and it's not covered any more? :(

Soldato
I'm guessing that you're waiting on Jaguar to sort this out for you? 6 months seems a bloody long time to be waiting though! Or have you gone over 100k miles and it's not covered any more? :(
It's covered, booked in for April lol

JLR parts shortage are real...

As this is a safety recall type job think it would be covered even over 100k

Associate
What spec did you go for? I do like the look of them, test drove one and enjoyed it, Nissan were great , just chucked me the keys and told me to bring it back with 20% before the day was out
I ended up going with the Engage, purely because it was cheaper than the other models, this is essentially a work / family car. My wife has an ICE and may upgrade that to something bigger if I feel its a pain on longer journeys.

Haven't seen many on the road but they look good in photos!
That's exactly one of the reasons why I ordered it, to me it looks futuristic, internally it looks very well done as well.

I was tempted by the Kia Niro, but was little put off by the optional extra heat pump being an extra £900 ! with the Ariya its included as standard kit.

I am really excited by the prospect of going EV, never though id say that as I am a petrol head.

Associate

I'm replacing my ice vehicle so it has to have good range.

I'm doing a 70 mile journey to and from work during the week and then nearly double that on the weekends to see the in-laws and parents.

I'll be using a home charger and would rather charge during the nights at cheap elec rather than the forecourts.

Soldato
I'm replacing my ice vehicle so it has to have good range.

I'm doing a 70 mile journey to and from work during the week and then nearly double that on the weekends to see the in-laws and parents.

I'll be using a home charger and would rather charge during the nights at cheap elec rather than the forecourts.
Damn. What's that 1000 miles, 30 hours a week driving? Adding 50k miles onto a car each year?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom