When are you going fully electric?

I did turn the TC off as a test in bone dry pulling out of a junction. Never heard such a noise as the wheel went to about 100mph in a second. And the smell ! Haha

There's quite a lot of options between 15-23k in the used market.

I don't know if sticking to the lower end is better but I am looking at something that does 250+ on a single charge.

The Kona and their ilk or more like the Ioniq 5.

Also be sure to read up on the 12v issue particularly on the ioniq 5. Would have been on my used car shortlist but have pretty much written it off for this reason

(e: kona) thought that was fixed with better tyres ... and haven't they improved traction control now, no longer re-using (slow) ICE system

AC charging is cheaper and easier to deploy than rapid charging
aren't commercial DC invertors more efficient than those in cars, or, n/a if charger has battery load-shift storage - yes, that inefficiency doesn't matter whilst you have cheap off-peak AC
to wit - one of the bidirectional v2g home chargers is (efficiently) sending/receiving DC to the car , or the R5 solution seems an onboard AC bidirectional V2G re-using cars motor invertor, so architectures may change.
perhaps you arrive at the shopping centre and give them energy to pay for your parking.

[
Still need to have a host willing to let you plugin,
sounds like a horror movie/aliens
]

Last edited:
(e: kona) thought that was fixed with better tyres ... and haven't they improved traction control now, no longer re-using (slow) ICE system
My Kona was a facelift and did come with Michelins from the factory rather than the Nexens of the original. I read plenty of tales that the Michelins were a marked improvement, which does make me wonder how much the originals must have been scrabbling for grip when mine on Michelins was liable to wheel spin when putting my foot down at 40mph+ in the damp.

The new Mk.2 may well have a proper TC system now too.

Last edited:
You dont fix 200hp through the front with better tyres. Not sure what you are on about with the ICE traction control on a EV?. How do you cut fuel or spark to a motor ?

The rest just incoherent. Can’t you at least proof read first and stop using some sort of coding language than you only understand ?

What is a commercial DC inverter ? DC is literally direct current to the battery. There is no inverting

You dont fix 200hp through the front with better tyres. Not sure what you are on about with the ICE traction control on a EV?. How do you cut fuel or spark to a motor ?
I haven't driven a Kona so no specific idea there ... and perhaps a big engine block weighing down would help however
I did have a couple of fiat coupe 20vts. they had 220bhp and were FWDs. whilst I know a lot of people moaned that they were not RWD like a "proper" sports coupe,.I always thought it was fine.

Last edited:
I haven't driven a Kona so specific idea there ... and perhaps a big engine block weighing down would help however
I did have a couple of fiat coupe 20vts. they had 220bhp and were FWDs. whilst I know a lot of people moaned that they were not RWD like a "proper" sports coupe,.I always thought it was fine.
Yes I had a 300hp rover turbo. An electric motor it was not…

I've heard various YTers say the e-Niro doesn't spin out as much as the Kona and that's the same drivetrain, but I guess a better tuned traction control system? or maybe just better tuned software/firmware? nuts if so. They need to open source car firmware so we can mess around with power curves :)

Kona is great car though, it sets a high standard to whatever I get after this. AWD could be a must for me next time around. I don't drive like a madman though. Interesting that efficiency drops off a bit on AWD models I notice, but why? Surely if in coast/0 regen mode that's not going to effect it?

I tested a Kona a couple of years back during a car search and had no problem with traction. It was in the dry, to be fair - but unless you have a REALLY heavy right foot I don't get how this would be a consistent issue. I see plenty of Konas and Niros around London (probably 90% Uber drivers :D) and never see them spinning a wheel at a junction or a roundabout either

aren't commercial DC invertors more efficient than those in cars, or, n/a if charger has battery load-shift storage - yes, that inefficiency doesn't matter whilst you have cheap off-peak AC
to wit - one of the bidirectional v2g home chargers is (efficiently) sending/receiving DC to the car , or the R5 solution seems an onboard AC bidirectional V2G re-using cars motor invertor, so architectures may change.
perhaps you arrive at the shopping centre and give them energy to pay for your parking.

[

sounds like a horror movie/aliens
]

A) no

B) he’s talking hardware, why are you going off on a tangent about efficiency, lower efficiency gives the operate a higher revenue stream.

C) don’t do jokes

I've heard various YTers say the e-Niro doesn't spin out as much as the Kona and that's the same drivetrain, but I guess a better tuned traction control system? or maybe just better tuned software/firmware? nuts if so. They need to open source car firmware so we can mess around with power curves :)

Kona is great car though, it sets a high standard to whatever I get after this. AWD could be a must for me next time around. I don't drive like a madman though. Interesting that efficiency drops off a bit on AWD models I notice, but why? Surely if in coast/0 regen mode that's not going to effect it?

Two motors so each do half the work of one. Likely running in a less efficient part of the torque speed curve.

I tested a Kona a couple of years back during a car search and had no problem with traction. It was in the dry, to be fair - but unless you have a REALLY heavy right foot I don't get how this would be a consistent issue. I see plenty of Konas and Niros around London (probably 90% Uber drivers :D) and never see them spinning a wheel at a junction or a roundabout either
I think you’re right in the context of one car but when you jump between several it becomes apparent. Uber drivers don’t use more than 20% throttle anyway do they

The cupra born is rwd (and the steering is one of the best no doubt because it’s not fwd). The traction is smooth as to save people killing them selves it feeds the power in from 0 to 25 and you don’t get the full blue bar until then. Shame really as it hurts the 0-60 on paper. The i3 did it too to save the engine mounts. It’s likely Kia have done similar.

Means you can drive on the power in corners without getting in too much trouble but really shows the benefit of awd. Something like the ipace just gives you all the power instantly because it can, just watch passengers necks

Last edited:
Similar with the mg4, it noticeably feathers in the torque from a standstill so you're less likely to be spinning the rears. Again it's actually a little bit annoying on a dry day as it dampens the occasional "off the lights" experience and the 0-60 but hard to complain really. It's also a well balanced little car, on the odd occasion when encountering a greasy roundabout and over enthusiasm the back end shifts quite predictably.

I thought the born was a little better to drive all round, felt a little bit quicker (with the same power) and had a bit more steering feel. Not much in it though really

Last edited:
Yea the Kona doesn't have issues under normal driving, it was just sometimes struggling even with a "moderate bootful" of fast acceleration, let alone foot to the floor. Uber drivers probably have it in ECO mode which dulls out the throttle map something rotten.

Similar with the mg4, it noticeably feathers in the torque from a standstill so you're less likely to be spinning the rears. Again it's actually a little bit annoying on a dry day as it dampens the occasional "off the lights" experience and the 0-60 but hard to complain really. It's also a well balanced little car, on the odd occasion when encountering a greasy roundabout and over enthusiasm the back end shifts quite predictably.

I thought the born was a little better to drive all round, felt a little bit quicker (with the same power) and had a bit more steering feel. Not much in it though really

I a guessing this is a "normal" RWD MG4 as The XPower does no such feathering in Sport* (it does however in Normal which is akin to a Trophy albeit with the extra shove of the Front motor above 50% throttle travel - Think I just answered my own question there.... :D).

*I can confirm first hand with a combination of my wife's maniacal laughter and the Red Dragon she has on the left hand side of the dash connecting with my face...

(Yes she is an absolute child when it comes to a tariff light GP against a car that is rocking ready to go... :o )

The Kona I had for 18 months (Nexen tyres) was a bit playful in the wet but generally fine in the dry. As @Simon notes, it is more noticeable when compared to RWD EV's with similar power/torque.

Back
Top Bottom