When are you going fully electric?

So turns out from 6am tomorrow the ipace can't be controlled by Octopus, or any other 3rd party (ovo, EON etc), anymore so am being kicked off the Intelligent Tariff at the end of May. No comms from Jaguar about this and found out, along with all the other Octopus users at about 6.30pm. Not impressed with JLR making such a change with no communication at all with its customers who pay to use the remote app and its functions and who this change they have made directly impacts.

So turns out from 6am tomorrow the ipace can't be controlled by Octopus, or any other 3rd party (ovo, EON etc), anymore so am being kicked off the Intelligent Tariff at the end of May. No comms from Jaguar about this and found out, along with all the other Octopus users at about 6.30pm. Not impressed with JLR making such a change with no communication at all with its customers who pay to use the remote app and its functions and who this change they have made directly impacts.
wow. that is good to know I was literally going to remove my zappi from IO tonight and put it back on my ipace due to some issues with the smart controls on the zappi. oh dear.

immediate tin-hat thought - JLR concerned that the stop-start charging that the IO type control gives will exacerbate the battery/electronics problems

That's really bad, they really can't decide on EV's can they?

The hope here is there will be a software update to recover the feature and control. The issue is basically data protection related, Octopus know exactly where your car is and every journey you have made. This is my opinion rather than anything offical.

Problem here is pioneering to allow the control and when it gets reigned in its bad. Disappointing the cars that never have offered API integration dont get the negative 'PR' this seems to be creating. I guess you get the 6hrs at 7.5p until May @J1nxy ?

immediate tin-hat thought - JLR concerned that the stop-start charging that the IO type control gives will exacerbate the battery/electronics problems
I'd stop thinking if i were you. Nothing but conjecture to that based on no science at all. Which 'electronics' problems are you inferring exactly?

Last edited:
The hope here is there will be a software update to recover the feature and control. The issue is basically data protection related, Octopus know exactly where your car is and every journey you have made. This is my opinion rather than anything offical.

Problem here is pioneering to allow the control and when it gets reigned in its bad. Disappointing the cars that never have offered API integration dont get the negative 'PR' this seems to be creating. I guess you get the 6hrs at 7.5p until May @J1nxy ?

I'd stop thinking if i were you. Nothing but conjecture to that based on no science at all. Which 'electronics' problems are you inferring exactly?
you may know what the truth is for reason behind any jlr support issues for IO - so I watched with interest to see how/how-fast you replied.

that was a problem with Kia but I have never heard any issues with other cars.

in reality IO only stop starts a.handful of times in a session. OTOH solar charging which the zappi does , now there is something which stop starts the car all the time and you don't hear loads of issues there.

Last edited:

I've switched over IO to control the mini instead so I stay in the tariff otherwise it'd revert Octopus Go which is 4 hours at 9p rather than 6 at 7.5. Just frustrating that the change has been made with 0 comms from JLR, its not like they don't know who has the app, who has given API access, and its not like it snuck up on them that the data sharing has been happening. Just poor PR, ultimately their decision impacts their customers and it makes switching away from JLR more likely when I refresh in the next 12-18 months.

I've switched over IO to control the mini instead so I stay in the tariff otherwise it'd revert Octopus Go which is 4 hours at 9p rather than 6 at 7.5. Just frustrating that the change has been made with 0 comms from JLR, its not like they don't know who has the app, who has given API access, and its not like it snuck up on them that the data sharing has been happening. Just poor PR, ultimately their decision impacts their customers and it makes switching away from JLR more likely when I refresh in the next 12-18 months.

Yeah that’s fair. I’ve raised a concern with some previous discussion I’ve had with colleagues. Ultimately security concerns took prioritisation for what ever reason, again personal view, not official.

Yeah that’s fair. I’ve raised a concern with some previous discussion I’ve had with colleagues. Ultimately security concerns took prioritisation for what ever reason, again personal view, not official.
Please don't get me wrong I understand security concerns with IT systems all to well, but this isn't ultimately the issue, the issue is communication and perception, and as I spend half my life telling people designing system Perception is King. The IPace facebook group is a blood bath, you have 1000s if not 10,000s of people who have been directly financially impacted with no warning, no discussion and no communication by a decision that has clearly been made by JLR, quite possibly for some good reasons, but without telling anybody which impacts the functionality of a vehicle that has been in the wild for a number of years.

I love my IPace but this decision really makes me think long and hard about keeping it and buying into a future JLR product. Its such a shame as this is my 5th Jag so I like their products but when the systems on cars are now so intrinsically integrated do I trust that something that works today won't, without warning, be removed tomorrow...

Sorry rant over.

Not that it helps but I saw this on fb a few weeks ago so someone had got wind of it. Just nothing official

What chargers work with IO now ? Ohme?

I guess this is the key danger of connected cars and charge points.

You are ultimately reliant upon cloud services for key functionality and those cloud services can be removed at any moment.

Anderson owners came very close to losing their cloud connectivity when the company went bust. Ford dabbled with blocking 3rd party API access but ended up changing course.

Correct me if I am wrong but I’m sure I saw mentions of another early smart charger becoming dumb (EO Mini Pro 1? Don’t quote me on that, they may have fixed it).

I’m not entirely sure what the solution is here. Smart chargers which you can host yourself - bin off cloud entirely?

Car/charger connected features become paid subscriptions?

I think Ohme already has it in theirs terms that connected features are only included for a fixed period of time which makes sense as their chargers run over 4G. Those naturally have a shelf life anyway as 4G will get decommissioned at some point as 3G has and 2G will be (by 2033?).

Not that it helps but I saw this on fb a few weeks ago so someone had got wind of it. Just nothing official

What chargers work with IO now ? Ohme?

Ohme, Zappi, wall box - check their website for others.

Last edited:
I guess this is the key danger of connected cars and charge points.

You are ultimately reliant upon cloud services for key functionality and those cloud services can be removed at any moment.

Anderson owners came very close to losing their cloud connectivity when the company went bust. Ford dabbled with blocking 3rd party API access but ended up changing course.

Correct me if I am wrong but I’m sure I saw mentions of another early smart charger becoming dumb (EO Mini Pro 1? Don’t quote me on that, they may have fixed it).

I’m not entirely sure what the solution is here. Smart chargers which you can host yourself - bin off cloud entirely?

Car/charger connected features become paid subscriptions?

I think Ohme already has it in theirs terms that connected features are only included for a fixed period of time which makes sense as their chargers run over 4G. Those naturally have a shelf life anyway as 4G will get decommissioned at some point as 3G has and 2G will be (by 2033?).

Ohme, Zappi, wall box - check their website for others.
But fundamentally we are talking about different things between the charger, a short term consumable device which is dependant on a (comparatively) small manufacture and a vehicle (arguable short term and consumable...) that is still in production, still sold and up until today had functionality that enable the customer to decide on allowing a third party to manage charging on their behalf.

Cloud services when designed right and with the right tools and services behind them are very cost effective and secure. The integration between third parties and the vendor need to be well defined but equally its not like its something that isn't done on a massive scale every day and securely...

Again, I go back to my original view, JLR have dropped the ball by leaving it to the energy companies to tell the customer, and to not have an immediate fix or to have not provided a time line for mitigating the change is just poor. I paid for a 2 year subscription to allow remote access and management at the end of January, I have now lost a significant part of the functionality I have just paid for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom