When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I'm hearing so many electric vehicles owners going back to ice/hybrid. I think that EVs are a blind alley we've be going down. Hydrogen is probably the way forward eventually.

Surveys suggest the opposite is the case:

I'm genuinely interested as to why you think hydrogen is the way forward, can you elaborate on that at all?

I assume it is not the running costs that attract you to Hydrogen cars (currently as low as 3p/mile for an EV vs 15p/mile for petrol vs 50p/mile for hydrogen).

Soldato
I'm hearing so many electric vehicles owners going back to ice/hybrid. I think that EVs are a blind alley we've be going down. Hydrogen is probably the way forward eventually.
The future is the DeLorean from Back to the Future that runs on banana skins and old tea bags.

It's just running a bit behind schedule. First step is a state owned Chinese company resurrecting the DeLorean brand.

Soldato
Covering long distances frequently would be the only thing that'd tempt me or if I wanted a weekend toy but in this case would be in addition to an EV. I definitely don't think I could own a manual car again. While more engaging, changing gears manually just seems a little backward now.

Just had my first big EV specific part repair bill too but hasn't put me off, as long as such expenses don't become the yearly norm.

Last edited:
Associate
I need to do some more accurate readings but it seems that most days i'm using 11% for my 23 mile commute, and this week, 3 days 33% used I've used the cabin preheating on the bluelink app every day (which is the best thing ever). Monday morning everyone's car was frozen, but mine :) I can't use the scheduled preheating because that only works when plugged in (and comes on 30 mins before hand), just the manual preheating using the app, it only stays on for 10 mins, I assume so it doesn't use too much battery. I can also include windscreen defrost, heated rear, steering wheel and mirrors.

64kw battery, 1% = 0.64kw, 55% * .64 = 35.2kw per week for commuting including cabin preheating

Also for some reason the car has the good tyres on the rear and cheap blackarrow tyres on the front so that should improve grip a bit when I replace them with all good ones.

hydrogen talk: Assuming all hydrogen is green, it's still a combustion engine and it needs gears. Why would I wanna go back to that? Electric is all the torque, in one gear, instantly, woop.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pure ICE car days are numbered. You will get hybrids as years roll on.

Hybrids are worse con than ICE especially the plug in ones. Self charging ones yeah ok.

Soldato
well chancellor didn't do anything to promote private ev sales from the 1/4 they currently are - nothing from flip-flop&Co to say what they would do.

I need to do some more accurate readings but it seems that most days i'm using 11% for my 23 mile commute, and this week, 3 days 33% used I've used the cabin preheating on the bluelink app every day (which is the best thing ever).

64kw battery, 1% = 0.64kw, 55% * .64 = 35.2kw per week for commuting including cabin preheating
seems good 3.3m/kwh ... what's the avg speed

Soldato

Will personally never go back, and don't have a second car as an ICE only BEV for best part of 4 years. Why would I want to go back to a noisy, smelly, rubbish 0-30MPH times, inconvenience of having to take the car somewhere to refuel it, and with the next one the ability to run my entire house from the battery in the car, and be a huge store of free or cheap electricity. Oh yeah, and never having to scrape an icy car windscreen again. :D

Soldato
hydrogen talk: Assuming all hydrogen is green, it's still a combustion engine and it needs gears. Why would I wanna go back to that? Electric is all the torque, in one gear, instantly, woop.
Fuel cells ;)

Hydrogen ICE will be deleted from the roads because of the emissions even if it is 'green' due to the NOX issue. It's not all about climate change, local pollution is as much of an issue.

Associate
seems good 3.3m/kwh ... what's the avg speed
60/40 30/50mph, the trip said 4.1m/kw this morning (flashes up with a quick last trip summary when turning off). But last week I thought the efficiency took a hit, I think it's mostly down to the current temperature. Maybe with the preheating it's taking a down a bit. That might make sense as the cabin is already warmed so the tripped journey is then reporting better efficiency than if I'd heated cabin on route. Last week I wasn't using preheating but the heater was on while driving of course.

Just to confuse things there is also the miles per kw reading on the dash which was lower, maybe 3.9 this morning so maybe that's an average of the last 20 miles or something.

Soldato
I’m liking the look of the new Hyundai Ioniq 5N.

Does anyone on here have an Ioniq 5? How does it compare to something like a Tesla model 3 or a BMW i4?

Soldato
Pure ICE car days are numbered. You will get hybrids as years roll on.

Hybrids are worse con than ICE especially the plug in ones. Self charging ones yeah ok.
I'd say it's the other way around. Self charging is a con although I wouldn't quite call them that, the plug-in ones are not. And plug-in hybrids are also self-charging anyway (under braking or can switch mode to recharge the battery from the engine).

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably those people that bought one, then on the first longer trip, left home with 50 miles of range to do 200 miles - Then complained there wasn't a hyper fast charger available outside their Waitrose :p

Soldato
I'd say it's the other way around. Self charging is a con although I wouldn't quite call them that, the plug-in ones are not. And plug-in hybrids are also self-charging anyway (under braking or can switch mode to recharge the battery from the engine).
Self charging makes sense that the engine is pegged at most efficient rev to provide the necessary electrical supply.

PHEVs however carries a big lump of battery and often times not very efficient yielding low 2miles/kwh. Often times owners don’t use plug in and just drive the car like a normal ICE and again PHEV vs equivalent ICE on ICE mode is way less efficient.

Self charging has smaller battery and is more efficient.

Back
Top Bottom