When are you going fully electric?

Associate
I’ve got a Tesla Model Y arriving tomorrow morning. Wanted a 3 but the finance deal was much better on the Y. This will be my third electric car since 2020. Won’t ever go back to ICE.

Soldato
Does anyone on here have an Ioniq 5? How does it compare to something like a Tesla model 3 or a BMW i4?

Had one for a week, was a nice place really enjoyed the open space inside felt a very relaxing place to be. The technology is good but not class leading like a Tesla, but they do have an easy to update software you can do yourself from USB. Cabin was quiet but not as insulated as an Etron 55, but was quieter than the Model Y IMO. It's definitely something you should test drive if you are looking at that class of vehicle.

Soldato
I'm hearing so many electric vehicles owners going back to ice/hybrid. I think that EVs are a blind alley we've be going down. Hydrogen is probably the way forward eventually.
people complain about the lack of public chargers and the expense of public charging...... imagine the angst of trying to live with a hydrogen car!. even in the places in America where H2 had slightly more traction the refueling stations are closing down.

Soldato
I'd say it's the other way around. Self charging is a con although I wouldn't quite call them that, the plug-in ones are not. And plug-in hybrids are also self-charging anyway (under braking or can switch mode to recharge the battery from the engine).

Self charging has some merit if its keeps the ICE in a more efficient regime most of the time. Toyota seem to have got this to fine art.

A PHEV has some merit if you do longer trips more frequently But for me an EV made more sense when I rarely do long trips. But I have an ICE as well.

Soldato
the one example in our village is (nicely) distinctive ... but they'v stopped building them - no ? so it's a dead end - 5 N last hurrah.
stopped building them? they literally just launched a facelift (not coming here till end of the year but still... . of course they are still making them!/

Soldato
Self charging has some merit if its keeps the ICE in a more efficient regime most of the time. Toyota seem to have got this to fine art.

A PHEV has some merit if you do longer trips more frequently But for me an EV made more sense when I rarely do long trips. But I have an ICE as well.
mild hybrids may be ok in some cases it's the marketing I despise. if I told people I had a self charging electric car most would tell be to sod off.

but my car is just as "self charging" as a hybrid.

Soldato
I’m liking the look of the new Hyundai Ioniq 5N.

Does anyone on here have an Ioniq 5? How does it compare to something like a Tesla model 3 or a BMW i4?
Had one since August, fantastic car like sitting in your arm chair in your living room. Over the 6.5k miles done it's averaging around 3.4 m/kW, mostly up and down the A1, this is for the AWD version. Never had an issue with the 12v battery and the other owners I've seen local and spoke to haven't either (all 2023 ones). The biggest issue with the 12v was third party apps accessing the car 1000s times a day, this has now mostly been stopped by limiting to about 10-20 a day some 3rd party apps still circumvent this limit and may cause this issue. I was concerned over the size but soon got used to it, boot is good size but not very tall if you keep parcel shelf in. It's a different car to both the M3 and the I4 more like the Model Y in purpose. The MY25 is a good upgrade and now having a rear wiper will be useful ( never bothered me anyway). I have no idea when the new model will be available here though.

Soldato
Self charging makes sense that the engine is pegged at most efficient rev to provide the necessary electrical supply.

PHEVs however carries a big lump of battery and often times not very efficient yielding low 2miles/kwh. Often times owners don’t use plug in and just drive the car like a normal ICE and again PHEV vs equivalent ICE on ICE mode is way less efficient.

Self charging has smaller battery and is more efficient.

That's user error isn't it if they just driving it like a normal ICE car and not charge it. Each has it's ideal use case. Deviate too much from that and of course will not be the best choice.
Depends on use case I would say. If driving lots of local miles and can charge cheaply especially then the plug-in can make more sense. The Toyota RAV 4 for example also does the same thing regarding using the most efficient revs for ultimate efficiency. Also the RAV4 plug-in has a lot more power than its self-charging equivalent.
Self-charging is not free. The charge is coming via brake regen (same as plug-in which might be better in a heavier car) or via the engine working harder to charge the battery (same as plug-in if in the appropriate mode). I very much doubt self-charging is more efficient when doing this, or much more at least. Plug in, you could effectively run all your local journeys up to 40mile range all from a low overnight charge if have an off-peak tariff. Could go weeks without even running the petrol engine.
Both are of course worse than an EV though in many ways. Just depends on the use case.
Consensus I believe is that self-charging is the worse of the two hybrid options

Last edited:
Caporegime
mild hybrids may be ok in some cases it's the marketing I despise. if I told people I had a self charging electric car most would tell be to sod off.

but my car is just as "self charging" as a hybrid.
Well they charge themselves by using kinetic energy that otherwise heats up brakes. What else could you call it? Brake extraction technology ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well they charge themselves by using kinetic energy that otherwise heats up brakes. What else could you call it? Brake extraction technology ?
in which case I do have a self charging EV then ... and my i3 is a plug in self charging hybrid. .... the only defining feature of a self charging hybrid is a hybrid lacking the ability to plug in.

I should work in marketing :D

Caporegime
Well the original hybrid term was confounded by micro, mild and full hybrids.

And yes EVs charge themselves from kinetic energy too.

Soldato
Had one since August, fantastic car like sitting in your arm chair in your living room. Over the 6.5k miles done it's averaging around 3.4 m/kW, mostly up and down the A1, this is for the AWD version. Never had an issue with the 12v battery and the other owners I've seen local and spoke to haven't either (all 2023 ones). The biggest issue with the 12v was third party apps accessing the car 1000s times a day, this has now mostly been stopped by limiting to about 10-20 a day some 3rd party apps still circumvent this limit and may cause this issue. I was concerned over the size but soon got used to it, boot is good size but not very tall if you keep parcel shelf in. It's a different car to both the M3 and the I4 more like the Model Y in purpose. The MY25 is a good upgrade and now having a rear wiper will be useful ( never bothered me anyway). I have no idea when the new model will be available here though.

Good to know, was on my shortlist for next car but would be looking at a 22 plate. Will need to read up more it's been a while

Associate
Surveys suggest the opposite is the case:

I'm genuinely interested as to why you think hydrogen is the way forward, can you elaborate on that at all?

I assume it is not the running costs that attract you to Hydrogen cars (currently as low as 3p/mile for an EV vs 15p/mile for petrol vs 50p/mile for hydrogen).

There are 2 ev company cars at work both of the drivers would want to switch back, almost everyone I encounter through work with a ev would sway back.
The uptake on evs is driven by the favorable tax position.

Sorry when I said hydrogen I meant fuel cell.

I have been in several evs a the power delivery and driveability cannot be faulted.

The infrastructure is still a massive distance from being suitable, and this make charging anxiety even worse.

Soldato
There are 2 ev company cars at work both of the drivers would want to switch back, almost everyone I encounter through work with a ev would sway back.
The uptake on evs is driven by the favorable tax position.
Do all these people get their fuel paid for by the company?

Company car drivers I'm not surprised at all.

Soldato
I'd say it's the other way around. Self charging is a con although I wouldn't quite call them that, the plug-in ones are not. And plug-in hybrids are also self-charging anyway (under braking or can switch mode to recharge the battery from the engine).
I do think until Charging infrastructure for those who can't charge at home or at work hybrids have a place. regen is a wonderful thing ( I was v surprised exactly how much energy my car can recover) - and it means far less brake and disc wear as well.
a plug in hybrid is also a good gateway to proper EVs for those who do short miles most of the time but worry about the odd long drive. ideally tho they do need a min of say 50 miles range imo. driving a plug in on mostly petrol is likely worse than an efficient petrol car.

Caporegime
The infrastructure is still a massive distance from being suitable, and this make charging anxiety even worse.

Not once have I even considered the fact that I wouldn’t be able to charge en-route.

Not once.

Granted I’ve never tried to drive to the Scottish Highlands, but I have done two annual family holidays from Cheshire to North Devon.

I’ve still got an ICE car for sunny warm days (convertible), but for my daily? I’d not consider going back to ICE. And the wife’s PHEV will be an EV when we swap it out next.

Back
Top Bottom