When are you going fully electric?

I am confused (mind you it doesnt take much!)..... i presume this is the guy who won big brother a few years ago, and not 2 cases of the same thing happening within days?

surely he is over 31 years old so something does not grok with me there. (edit he is 48 according to google)

btw as an aside...... and this is i admit my ignorance again.

should the emergency braking system not engage if the car is about to hit a wall? its not something i am going to deliberately test mind you.

edit.... ok after re reading it is a different one, the big brother one happened a while back. sorry for confusion

Last edited:
This is the bit that gets me. He wasnt arrested straight away as a matter of course. It was only after the Police has investigated that he was arrested. That was after a week. So something must be showing up as "odd". I am sure I saw elsewhere it was stated the Police had arrested him after receiving information from JLR
Simply put i imagine the police had to submit their reports of events aswell as the drivers. Then appropriate action is taken.

I am confused (mind you it doesnt take much!)..... i presume this is the guy who won big brother a few years ago, and not 2 cases of the same thing happening within days?

surely he is over 31 years old so something does not grok with me there.

btw as an aside...... and this is i admit my ignorance again.

should the emergency braking system not engage if the car is about to hit a wall? its not something i am going to deliberately test mind you.
Two different stories. Craig of Big Brother fame was back in December I believe. In his case he mentions the brakes having 'failed' and then driving back home slowly which seems unlikely. Loss of assistance I could understand in that scenario.

Show me you source, the idea you prowl the internet like jpaul does looking for absolutley chunder that suits your narrative is beyond bizarre.

The onus of proof is on you. Its the defacto EV thing, same with Taycan, the truth is the throttle response os these cars just gives less room for driver error and hence the excuses come out with people who dont comprehend what really happened. A bit like you Nasher, being the self appointed authority as you know how to use GoogleMash before you even use the search engine.

Everytime you do it, dont worry, we are here to call you out on it. FUD.

OFC it's going to be people's personal experiences, but it's happened to quite a few people now. JLR is never going to admit there is an issue and their cars are unreliable turdbuckets, they will only comment on something like this when forced to. At some point there will be a statement by an authority, then things move, but it takes years. The car industry is pretty corrupt, as history has proven.

Last edited:
OFC it's going to be people's personal experiences, but it's happened to quite a few people now. JLR is never going to admit there is an issue and their cars are unreliable turdbuckets, they will only comment on something like this when forced to. At some point there will be a statement by an authority, then things move, but it takes years. The car industry is pretty corrupt, as history has proven.
Funniest thing I’ve ever read

Geoff Buys Cars had a 45min 'interview' with the driver shortly after the incident:

This guy is a bell end. The follow up video, rather than accept the dude driving the IPace was full of poop, he doubles down a with wink wink nudge nudge, the driver got arrested conspiracy theory. JLR paid off the cops - what a plum.

If you think about it, if that IPace was going at 100mph and is say 2 ton ish? Electric motors with all their torque would chew the hell out of the back of a police BM Touring. Why would the car slow and the wheels stop turning with a force applied to the front? Shirely you'd have to wait for the battery to run flat?

I mean if it really wouldn't stop just pull onto the hard shoulder and press the stop start button to turn the car off, why would you even need to get police involved

Not so easy to think and react in time when you are caught in a moment like that. Another issue reported with them is unintended (full throttle) acceleration, good luck dealing with that...

Arrested but not charged and investigations by the DVLA is ongoing. The guy called the police himself when he couldn't stop.

So... the guy did have time to call the police, and wait for them them to get there and help bring him to a stop, but he was so "caught in the moment" that he didn't have time to think and react in time (by doing what should be instinctive to any driver - pushing the brake pedal harder). Do you even think about what you're posting before mashing the keyboard? :cry:

lol at that video.... That was less than an ideal situation :D .

Joking aside that scenario is exactly why i barely used cruise control on my old car which didnt have adaptive cruise or emergency breaking. i always worried in a split second emergency when i was resting my foot i would slam down on the clutch or accelerator.

Surely cruise control would be safer in that scenario, since you can hover your foot over the brake while CC is on, rather than having to move from the accelerator to the brake?

Show me you source, the idea you prowl the internet like jpaul does looking for absolutley chunder that suits your narrative is beyond bizarre.

The onus of proof is on you. Its the defacto EV thing, same with Taycan, the truth is the throttle response os these cars just gives less room for driver error and hence the excuses come out with people who dont comprehend what really happened. A bit like you Nasher, being the self appointed authority as you know how to use GoogleMash before you even use the search engine.

Exactly; I'm not saying there isn't potential for there to be a fault, but what's more likely, several cars with unexplained sudden acceleration which can't be reproduced or the cause identified, or drivers accidentally mashing the pedal and then claiming "the car did it by itself" to absolve themselves of any liability?

Last edited:
So... the guy did have time to call the police, and wait for them them to get there and help bring him to a stop, but he was so "caught in the moment" that he didn't have time to think and react in time (by doing what should be instinctive to any driver - pushing the brake pedal harder). Do you even think about what you're posting before mashing the keyboard? :cry:

Surely cruise control would be safer in that scenario, since you can hover your foot over the brake while CC is on, rather than having to move from the accelerator to the brake?

Exactly; I'm not saying there isn't potential for there to be a fault, but what's more likely, several cars with unexplained sudden acceleration which can't be reproduced or the cause identified, or drivers accidentally mashing the pedal and then claiming "the car did it by itself" to absolve themselves of any liability?

Not everyone is clued up on assisted/unassisted braking. Unassisted you need to press a LOT harder and it can feel like it's just not working especially if it's suddenly happened.

Last edited:
As an I-Pace owner the likelihood of this guy being stuck at speeds up to 100mph with no way to slow down are remote. It is easy to put the car into neutral, there is also an emergency handbrake or EPB (emergency parking brake) on the right lower console. You pull it towards you to activate the system and then push and hold to slow to a stop. It stops quite abruptly as you can imagine, so don’t do it with cars behind you.

Anyone who drives a car has the goddamn sense to learn how to apply the emergency brakes… right?… tell me I’m not stupid for thinking this?

the thing is the only reason i even contemplated using cruise control was on a long journey when i wanted to exercise my foot. hovvering my foot over the brake pedal is even more tiring than having my foot on the accelerator with the speed limiter on, so ultimately i just never used it unless the motorway was practically deserted (which is rare these days) but anyway, OT for this topic so.

@Nasher as for not being clued up on assisted braking.......... surely in the case of a brake failure it wouldnt matter what you do or do not know, once you realised there was an issue would your 1st thought not be to put every ounce of strength you had into the brakes?

and then failing that your 2nd thing to be to pull over and hit the stop button.

i accept *maybe* putting the car into neutral may not occur to you, tho i would like to think if it was going on long enough to phone the police, it would do. (i am surprised he wasnt advised to do this over the phone to be honest)

there is also an emergency handbrake or EPB (emergency parking brake) on the right lower console. You pull it towards you to activate the system and then push and hold to slow to a stop. It stops quite abruptly as you can imagine, so don’t do it with cars behind you.
not gonna lie! i should, but i didnt know this!. i know where the handbrake is on my i3 but never found it on the ipace.

i have homework for tonight!.

not gonna lie! i should, but i didnt know this!. i know where the handbrake is on my i3 but never found it on the ipace.

I admit I took a few months before it dawned on me the P button was not the emergency brake. The P (park) button only works under a few MPH.:D

Edit: Also worth knowing is if you power the car off during driving, the accelerator does not respond but brakes do. If you need to power back on after being stupid enough to test this, the car needs to be in N (neutral) first, as it will obviously not start in D or R.

I tried this so you don’t have to :cry:

Last edited:

A good post.. I only know about the Model Y because it's stupidly got electronic door releases, so wanted to know how to get out in an emergency, and that happened to also mention holding Park down has a secondary method of removing drive power and applying the brakes..

Mind you, I don't brief all my passengers (especially those in the rear) that to get out in an emergency with no power, they have to lift out the (two!) door bin inserts and they'll find a little red lever!..

I think in a panic, people may forget even if they'd read it many moons ago..

And it seems all manufacturers have differing methods!

Anyone who drives a car has the goddamn sense to learn how to apply the emergency brakes… right?… tell me I’m not stupid for thinking this?
I doubt my wife knows how to do it in our Tesla and she’s not stupid by any stretch of the imagination, quite the opposite in fact.

In the Tesla it’s fairly easy. To put the car in neutral, you just hold the gear selector stalk down for a few seconds.

If you want to apply the emergency brake, you hold the P button in for a few seconds (I’ve not tried it mind). I’m pretty sure that it also cuts all power if you hit the brakes.

Yeh the manual door release in the back is well hidden, I guess that’s to stop children ‘accidentally’ pulling it like adults tend to do in the front.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom