When are you going fully electric?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the 'run away' I-Pace last week, it seems the driver has now been arrested:

Original story:

Geoff Buys Cars had a 45min 'interview' with the driver shortly after the incident:

It will be interesting to see if he is eventually charged.

Jpaul made one his subtle comments on it somewhere.

It was pretty obvious what was the likely course of events

Though not exclusive to EVs but EVs seem to be a bit more where it is appearing/make more of a case for it, but I'm not a fan of the emerging instances of vehicles with a lack of mechanical coupling with steering and braking, very short sighted and stupid IMO.

Though not exclusive to EVs but EVs seem to be a bit more where it is appearing/make more of a case for it, but I'm not a fan of the emerging instances of vehicles with a lack of mechanical coupling with steering and braking, very short sighted and stupid IMO.

Control by (exclusive) wire isn’t necessarily a problem, so long as the systems are at least doubly redundant.

I assume you’ve flown in aircraft over the last 20-30 years?

Control by (exclusive) wire isn’t necessarily a problem, so long as the systems are at least doubly redundant.

I assume you’ve flown in aircraft over the last 20-30 years?

Doubly redundant would be nice, so far redundancy doesn't seem to be well considered, but in something like a car there is very little reason really not to maintain direct mechanical linkage.

Aircraft a bit different as most have at least 3 levels of redundancy (Laws) and generally have a fallback for complete electrical failure.

How many accidents has it caused?

One of the reasons to switch to away from purely mechanical steering is to add redundancy and improve safety.

Modern cars are often unsteerable without power steering.

Last edited:
The brake booster is electronic as there is no engine to provide vacuum. This lost power so assisted braking was lost. Similar pumps exist in a diesel engine.

Nothing to do with lack of mechanical coupling

Similar thing happened near Glasgow a few weeks ago and the driver wasn't charged, its obviously a fault.

Yea from what I've read this has happened to a few I-Paces. Scary.

It's what happens when everything is controlled digitally, but the electronics and software are janky.

In the US they were all also recalled due to a battery fire risk, for some reason not here though.

Last edited:
Well yea that too. Removing manual handbrakes probably didn't help, no way to apply brakes if the system fails.
He got arrested ,,, for some reason he couldn’t just press the pedal harder. It’s a none story.

But surprise surprise Nasher arrives to jump all over it

He got arrested ,,, for some reason he couldn’t just press the pedal harder. It’s a none story.

But surprise surprise Nasher arrives to jump all over it

Not so easy to think and react in time when you are caught in a moment like that. Another issue reported with them is unintended (full throttle) acceleration, good luck dealing with that...

Last edited:
Not so easy to think and react in time when you are caught in a moment like that. Another issue reported with them is unintended (full throttle) acceleration, good luck dealing with that...
The only guy who said that got arrested. Plenty of EV have 12v battery issues. The early I pace had 2, newer have one and no issue .

Did you see the damage on the cars? Exactly there wasn’t any. Story was fishy from the start

Pretty sure the police aren't making it up lol. The ones which randomly launched themselves in to nearby houses and cars were definitely damaged...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom