When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Well that sounds like an absolute crap-fest.

Stealer being a stealer, quoting £35k to replace like-for-like, no idea what the laws in Canada are like (or the insurance) or why the warranty was void? It's easy to make a headline of of a single case for anything, just go and look at the F1 Miami thread, then you'd think all food cost $280 fora sandwich.

Soldato
We have a car scheme at work, had a look to see what's available and only things that interested me were a bmw i5 touring (cmft+) for 680 a month or a merc eqb for 460. Both after tax costs inclusive of maintenance, insurance, tax.
I'm moving to a house with a car charger in the next month or two so tempted to sell my car and look at one of these. Thoughts on car and costs?

Soldato
apples & oranges
the 8K was a dealer new gearbox but refurb 3rd party install just 3-4K, whereas the 60k battery, was obligatory dealer fix w/damaged casing,
so more than a tesla pack exchange, on a comparatively low production car.
£60k battery? I know it says $60k in the link but I question that tbh. someone was getting ripped off there. am sure I remember a taxi driver I spoke with said his replace his Tesla battery was about £15k
the over all impression I got was over the life of his car he had saved a bundle on maintenance with an EV
(yes am sad I always have drunken chats with taxi drivers and their cars)
it is expensive tho and ideally a replacement battery will come down in price going forward.

put it this way.... with our FUD loving media being as it is if people were getting £50k bills to repair their EVs left right and centre at the same rate that ICE cars need new engines, cylinder heads, gearboxes etc then it would be headline news all over the place

Last edited:
Soldato
£60k battery? I know it says $60k in the link but I question that tbh. someone was getting ripped off there. am sure I remember a taxi driver I spoke with said his replace his Tesla battery was about £15k
the idea that it is financially not viable since the cost of 'installing' the battery during the initial production line process cannot be duplicated cheaply post manufacture ...
such that you have to bin the car doesn't sound implausible ... just potentially poor design, not built for repair
the mftr blatantly made that trade-off, like, say, for screen/battery replacement on (since i have one) iphone.
product could be sold for 10% less unrepairable, and that 10% saving would more than offset binned products, under warranty that failed in the field.

even for tesla - if car had to be trailered to a qualified garage in the UK and there is limited uk facilities to make repair, plus availability of older model battery packs to contend with - not sure I subscribe to a $15k/£12k price point.

Soldato
Do you really look at the BMW i5 and think wow, that is a car I want to spend £700 a month to drive?
The i5 touring isn't as bad as the i5 normal. Out of what BMW electric cars available there isn't much. My sister as an electric suv bmw which is scary fast but not too roomy.
I was just looking to see what's available that will occasionally fit 3 kids (one car seat) and two adults with a decent boot.
I like the speed of my 3 series (328i) now so nothing slower.
Our work uses avral for their scheme.

Soldato
The i5 touring isn't as bad as the i5 normal. Out of what BMW electric cars available there isn't much. My sister as an electric suv bmw which is scary fast but not too roomy.
I was just looking to see what's available that will occasionally fit 3 kids (one car seat) and two adults with a decent boot.
I like the speed of my 3 series (328i) now so nothing slower.
Our work uses avral for their scheme.
sorry if I missed a post but does it have to be a BMW? if so fair enough (we have an I3 and my folks have a BMW as well so not.knocking them) but I wonder if an ionic 5 or if bigger needed a Kia 9 may not fit?
or can you not get one of those?

Soldato
the idea that it is financially not viable since the cost of 'installing' the battery during the initial production line process cannot be duplicated cheaply post manufacture ...
such that you have to bin the car doesn't sound implausible ... just potentially poor design, not built for repair
the mftr blatantly made that trade-off, like, say, for screen/battery replacement on (since i have one) iphone.
product could be sold for 10% less unrepairable, and that 10% saving would more than offset binned products, under warranty that failed in the field.

even for tesla - if car had to be trailered to a qualified garage in the UK and there is limited uk facilities to make repair, plus availability of older model battery packs to contend with - not sure I subscribe to a $15k/£12k price point.

You can literally drop the battery pack on most EVs in a few hours if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. Most modern EVs are built in very similar ways and it’s not that hard to do. It’s significantly less work than an engine swap in an ICE car.

That $60k (Canadian) price is a ‘we don’t know how or want to do this work so we will quote a $LOL price and the customer will either
a) go away and we won’t have to do it

or

b) we will bill the customer the total cost of buying in all the tools and the full cost of training a few technicians on how to do it.

It will be interesting to see sight of the book time for this job, I bet you’ve got enough fingers and toes to count out all the labour hours to do it from start to finish.

The Tesla reference is for a Tesla repair by Tesla. They will install a refurb for ~£9k or a brand new pack for ~£15k. The cost depends on the model, some are less, some are more. They’ll do it in a day or two once they get the part.

Soldato
sorry if I missed a post but does it have to be a BMW? if so fair enough (we have an I3 and my folks have a BMW as well so not.knocking them) but I wonder if an ionic 5 or if bigger needed a Kia 9 may not fit?
or can you not get one of those?
Nah not fussed by BMW it's just what I have atm
Ionic 5 I thought was small but looking at reviews it's actually quite sizeable. It's relatively cheap on the scheme, so basic is 300ish the dual motor fully kitted out one is just over 500

Caporegime
You can literally drop the battery pack on most EVs in a few hours if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. Most modern EVs are built in very similar ways and it’s not that hard to do. It’s significantly less work than an engine swap in an ICE car.

That $60k (Canadian) price is a ‘we don’t know how or want to do this work so we will quote a $LOL price and the customer will either
a) go away and we won’t have to do it

or

b) we will bill the customer the total cost of buying in all the tools and the full cost of training a few technicians on how to do it.

It will be interesting to see sight of the book time for this job, I bet you’ve got enough fingers and toes to count out all the labour hours to do it from start to finish.

The Tesla reference is for a Tesla repair by Tesla. They will install a refurb for ~£9k or a brand new pack for ~£15k. The cost depends on the model, some are less, some are more. They’ll do it in a day or two once they get the part.
But more work than a fuel tank swap.

Associate
Just bringing it back to comparing energy storage.

What moving parts? Moving parts are easy to fix. Not invisible parts or electrons
All depends on how things are designed, ICE cars now have loads of parts that would have to be removed to just to change a sensor, where as a battery could be changed relatively quickly if designed for it.

Caporegime
All depends on how things are designed, ICE cars now have loads of parts that would have to be removed to just to change a sensor, where as a battery could be changed relatively quickly if designed for it.
The battery doesn’t drive the wheels

Back
Top Bottom