When are you going fully electric?

time is money - unless you have mobile office capability in your car ? plus reducing throughput on the public chargers.

like I said in my update I thought car cabin heating was the main impact on winter 'efficiency' - in penfolds case anyway,
so returning to ev's who has the most efficient heating/insulation setup, with least kwh overhead.

Its warming the 600kg of nickel up Darling, not your little fingers.

Last edited:
Winter performance. Road load is compounded by battery heating to allow proper performance. Some cars like Hyundai E-GMP 800v stuff where you can turn winter mode off, battery stays cool, you waste less heat and you have less power available / charging speed. Not an issue for a school run etc. it’s a good option to have. Either way the cabin is warm but the heating system has a VERY different job to do.

My car doesn’t, so the cooling plate in the base of the ally battery frame being cooled by barely above freezing rain water spray really is worse condition.

Last edited:
Winter performance. Road load is compounded by battery heating to allow proper performance. Come cars like Hyundai where you can turn winter mode off, battery stays cool, you waste less heat and you have less power available / charging speed. Not an issue for a school run etc. it’s a good option to have. Either way the cabin is warm but the heating system has a VERY different job to do.

Yeah just had a quick read. Brilliant way of maximising the battery efficiency. Not sure if the i3 has it or not as the information appears to conflict.

Yeah just had a quick read. Brilliant way of maximising the battery efficiency. Not sure if the i3 has it or not as the information appears to conflict.
But as we just discussed. It’s only helping battery efficiency for the driving part. The overall journey probably is no different in consumption if you include this energy in the calcs

Road load is compounded by battery heating to allow proper performance.
but the 600k question is how much energy is used by ev's in non-polar UK for battery heating versus cabin - guess you only really know with hyundai e-gmp ... (e:sorry ellipsitus)
maybe the obd/battery monitors the likes of bjorn uses, gives an insight though, into diverted kwh's.

dlockers PIR does sound like an interesting new direction for ev performance mods - silicone sponge is what I'd specced for my 500Wh/day espresso machine boiler.

Last edited:
but the 600k question is how much energy is used by ev's in non-polar UK for battery heating versus cabin - guess you only really know with hyundai e-gmp ...
maybe the obd/battery monitors the likes of bjorn uses, gives an insight though, into diverted kwh's.

dlockers PIR does sound like an interesting new direction for ev performance mods - silicone sponge is what I'd specced for my 500Wh/day espresso machine boiler.
As dlockers said. Who cares. Just understand the fundamentals if you want and don’t care about cost.

You seem to think winter is only heating batter and/ or cabin. You have ignored the effect on battery chemistry and resistance. But like everyone of your posts you just post. Dont acknowledge anyone’s effort to reply then come back in with another google search result to make a differential of a tangent

I made a point before about bigger cars losing more cabin heat than smaller cars due to more glass but that turned into another tennis match of posts until Qdot was understood

Anyway this EV ownership lark is dull. Take me back to ragging my V8 around a track and forgetting what a kWh is

Last edited:
The pre-heat warms the battery?

Just googled it. It does. That's smart!

I can only speak for my Polestar; but it’s one of these weird things that only exists in the online forums and isn’t mentioned in the manual.

If the battery is cold I get a snow icon next to it on the dash which will eventually go away once it warms up by using the battery itself while driving. If I set the car to precondition the cabin through the app, then it will also precondition in the battery, but only if it’s plugged into the mains so you can set off with close to full charge.

The only other time it’ll do it is when you have a charger set as your destination in the satnav and it gets the battery to optimum charging temperature upon arrival. This obviously uses the battery itself though and I’ve seen the consumption increase on the dash readout.

The annoying part is that none of this is in the manual and it isn’t shown on the dash in any way so you wouldn’t know what it was doing and you have no way of selecting it or turning it on etc….

Im not too interested in US prices of electricty and if jpaul is he should Google it, or ask a straight forward question.

Ie. How much is your electricity tarriff over there?

I can tell you my F type mpg too, or my crappy EV IPACE doing 2.5miles/kWh #legacyauto worse EV in the world.com. Doesn't mean it bothers me, or the price of electricity being SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ridiculous when public charging that it adds £20 to a £600 Easter break in Cornwall? OllyM isn't a moron so clues here would be he has a Model S and a Rivian R1T. Cares and having problem is literally the same thing yet you have seperated them in a pointless quoting of my message to the Pope Moron. Who first suggests it LESS than an EV specific off tarriff rate that he calls 'ours' when hes not on it and doesnt have an EV; the mind boggles.
Not many people on here would get away with calling another member of the forum a "moron" but somehow I doubt you'll be called out for it.

Taking every opportunity to jump down jpauls neck is getting old. If everything he says bothers you that much then just ignore it.

Not many people on here would get away with calling another member of the forum a "moron" but somehow I doubt you'll be called out for it.

Taking every opportunity to jump down jpauls neck is getting old. If everything he says bothers you that much then just ignore it.

Meh - I got called deluded and a clown in quick succession because I apparently thought electricity was free…

I made a point before about bigger cars losing more cabin heat than smaller cars due to more glass but that turned into another tennis match of posts until Qdot was understood
OK, sorry I missed that - I wouldn't have made the comment about model3 roof / U-values.

You seem to think winter is only heating batter and/ or cabin. You have ignored the effect on battery chemistry and resistance. But like everyone of your posts you just post. Dont acknowledge anyone’s effort to reply then come back in with another google search result to make a differential of a tangent
like dlockers zany comment on PIR, not sure what you thought was tangential
yes I'm aware of the battery chemistry side, and if google revealed an analysis on typical energy spent heating battery I would have posted it, rather than pursuing it to see if anyone had data.

Anyway this EV ownership lark is dull. Take me back to ragging my V8 around a track and forgetting what a kWh is
perhaps it is because we are on what is primarily a pc owners forum where many of us waste more time fighting for every frame than we do playing the damn games....

but you don't HAVE to muck about with EVs. some people just plug them in and drive them until they need to plug in again and do not sweat the small stuff.

YMMY of course. (boom boom!)

Last edited:
Meh - I got called deluded and a clown in quick succession because I apparently thought electricity was free…
I never said you were deluded. I said anyone who thinks it isn’t part of the journey is. If you thought this was you then I can’t really help you.

Also help me out here. What is the purpose of that ellipsis at the end of the sentence You have finished your sentence so it should be a full stop. There are no other additions for the reader to add their own thoughts to finish the sentence . I’m genuinely interested in why you added it

Last edited:
OK, sorry I missed that - I wouldn't have made the comment about model3 roof / U-values.

like dlockers zany comment on PIR, not sure what you thought was tangential
yes I'm aware of the battery chemistry side, and if google revealed an analysis on typical energy spent heating battery I would have posted it, rather than pursuing it to see if anyone had data.
6kW heater in most cars to heat the coolant to heat the battery. But again. That’s not factoring in the losses of a cold battery vs a warm one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom