When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
If there's traffic, not much quicker if at all.
I am rather confused as well, the faster you go the more aero drag there is to overcome and with a caravan in tow the drag increases massively, thus the load on batteries will be greater.

No I said although road load goes up 40% that doesn’t mean trip consumption goes up 40% as your journey is completed 20% faster.

Soldato
yes 40% although it is (60/50)^2 is a bit aggressive, since the ev drivetrain has some losses so maybe only 33%,
assuming it's not a winter caravanning trip using the heater, too.
but, what you save on journey time maybe lost on recharge times - the classic dilemma

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
The govt doing their level best to slow down EV uptake, i would have thought they would at least want lots of company cars in circulation, that then feeds into the used market. Dropping the reimbursement rate for electric and upping it for ICE. For both, the rates are too low in reality.

Soldato
The govt doing their level best to slow down EV uptake, i would have thought they would at least want lots of company cars in circulation, that then feeds into the used market. Dropping the reimbursement rate for electric and upping it for ICE. For both, the rates are too low in reality.

They just reflect the lower price of electricity and higher price of fuel.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Jonnycoupe do you still have your Honda insight?

Johnny Smith puts out a fair bit of stuff regarding his these days and I absolutely love them.
Yeah, been in my mums garage since Collecting Cars Coffee meet last April!

Hes doing some good PR with the car, ill get it MOT'd this month and get some miles on it. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
No I said although road load goes up 40% that doesn’t mean trip consumption goes up 40% as your journey is completed 20% faster.
It wasn't clear what you were saying that's why I was asking for clarification, which your first reply didn't really give. I'd like still to see actual figures with real world tests, and with differing ambient temperatures.

Soldato
Agreed, average speed over a trip was given or the steady state motorway cruise!. Ie simple as possible. Overcomplicating it guys. Normally the conversation is a 70-80 mph change.

If you are shed dragging to Cornwall down the M5 to the A30 this is a use case, not much shed dragging in urban environments.

Soldato
I don't have a driveway or a garage, so it would make installing a charge point pretty much impossible from what I can tell... are there any solutions to this?

Soldato
Possibly could have been an EV6 GT, that's around 160mph, would make more sense for motorways pursuit. I guess I'll have to wait a while and see it on police interceptors.

British Transport Police have some marked and unmarked so it may have been one of theirs (along with some Tesla Model 3s and Polestar 2s), they have a no pursuit policy however.

Associate
Just passed 100k miles in the Kona. OBD reader tells me the battery is at 97.3% health. This is (approximately) backed up by my calculations using the economy and range.

Of course the value is in the toilet, but since I'm not selling this doesn't really matter.

Most cars with over 100k miles have very low residual vales left. Is it really that difficult.

I’m also assuming you have saved a lot compared to petrol? What does the total cost of ownership look like?

Soldato
Most cars with over 100k miles have very low residual vales left. Is it really that difficult.

I’m also assuming you have saved a lot compared to petrol? What does the total cost of ownership look like?

Is what really that difficult?

Saved £12-14k on fuel after accounting for charging costs I would say.

Cost of ownership is good.. On third set of tyres with plenty of life left. Brakes have very little wear. The only disappointment is the 40k miles battery/inverter coolant change. Which is circa £400.

Soldato
Will a PCP have worked in your favour for Konas residuals/balloon payment with current market dip - 30K odd miles a year sounds ideal situation for ev fuel saving.

Soldato
Will a PCP have worked in your favour for Konas residuals/balloon payment with current market dip - 30K odd miles a year sounds ideal situation for ev fuel saving.

Not sure but I don't think so. We have a pretty good salary sacrifice scheme in work, and I did look at different ways of financing. The problem was that once you are getting quotes for 35k miles a year they start to become staggeringly uncompetitive.

As it happens, I bought my car before the used car market went nuts. So I bargained hard, got the government grant and a deposit contribution from Hyundai for using their finance....which I then paid off.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it worked out and very happy with the car.
I enjoy driving it every day and it drives like new.

Soldato
The problem was that once you are getting quotes for 35k miles a year they start to become staggeringly uncompetitive.
OK had glanced at your earlier posts, and thought you'd pcp'd so potentially, from earlier market a big balloon to your advantage - yes it didn't make sense at 35K/pa - even a full fleet lease must be hefty

Did you stick to a 20/80 charging regime, and had you run it to near zero sometimes to see what capacity battery demonstrates.

Soldato
They just reflect the lower price of electricity and higher price of fuel.
The problem is that they don't reflect the cost of public charging which people who use their company car for business often have no option to avoid.

They need to simply get rid of advisory fuel rates for EV. The system doesn't work when the fuel is many times more expensive from one source than it is another.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom