When are you going fully electric?

The problem is that they don't reflect the cost of public charging which people who use their company car for business often have no option to avoid.

They need to simply get rid of advisory fuel rates for EV. The system doesn't work when the fuel is many times more expensive from one source than it is another.

The rates are advisory - companies are able to pay more than this if they want and if they can evidence costs are higher than the advisory rate I don't think it becomes taxable either.

True, but there is a reason that many employers choose to keep things simple in relation to NIC / Taxable profits and use a blanket approach of adopting the advisory fuel rates.

How I would evidence how many of my miles were covered under home / public charging and what proportion of each was used for business vs private is beyond me. It sounds like an administrative nightmare.

The only workable solution would be to simply not charge at home and expense all of my public charging. That would suit me financially but a cost of 70 odd p/kw for every mile I drive put onto my employer and a repayment of 8ppm back from me for my private mileage is going to see a fair increase on my fuel costs compared to my 1400cc petrol. Plus it would be a PITA from a personal perspective.

The whole setup is stupid. I can drive an EV worth £50k with a BIK of about £20 a month yet they are worried about the NIC implications of fuelling the thing. If they are that worried about getting their pound of flesh then set the BIK rate for the car at a sensible level and not worry about the fuel benefit. Then it is left to the employer and employee to worry about any private miles covered under expensed public charging which would be very easy to resolve.

Last edited:
How I would evidence how many of my miles were covered under home / public charging and what proportion of each was used for business vs private is beyond me. It sounds like an administrative nightmare.

Presumably the same way you intended it would be evidenced if there was no advisory rate at all :p

Presumably the same way you intended it would be evidenced if there was no advisory rate at all :p
A fair point that highlights the issue with my solution :p

Seriously though, if there was no potential issue with HMRC I'm pretty sure my employer would simply say, stick all your public charging on your company card, including any personal trips to offset the cost of charging at home before work trips. I'd be fine with that, but crucially HMRC wouldn't.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine’s employer outsources it all to All Star. They provide a roaming charge card, they directly interface with their charge point to log all the changes and pay the cost back to their energy supplier directly at the relevant rate.

They just have to pay back private miles at the advisory rate.

A fair point that highlights the issue with my solution :p

Seriously though, if there was no potential issue with HMRC I'm pretty sure my employer would simply say, stick all your public charging on your company card, including any personal trips to offset the cost of charging at home before work trips. I'd be fine with that, but crucially HMRC wouldn't.
The easiest way is for the business to pay for the fuel and employees pay back private miles at the advisory rate.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine’s employer outsources it all to All Star. They provide a roaming charge card, they directly interface with their charge point to log all the changes and pay the cost back to their energy supplier directly at the relevant rate.

They just have to pay back private miles at the advisory rate.

The easiest way is for the business to pay for the fuel and employees pay back private miles at the advisory rate.
Consider me educated! Honestly, that is really useful to know and embarrassingly I'm sure you've posted about that for me before and I'd forgotten to look into it.

It was the issue of keeping the convenience of home charging without incurring a load of cost with public charging for business use that I couldn't get my head round but that looks like it could well be a solution.

What are people's thoughts on the Polestar 2? Pre-owned, 2023 reg, ~10k miles, dual motor long range with the pilot lite, performance and power packs they are suprisingly affordable (imo for my circumstances). Annoyingly no Polestar dealerships in the north. Closest is Manchester or Sheffield or Glasgow. Never sat in or driven one.

guy at work has one. I don't know anything about them personally but he loves his. his is 2022 I think not sure if model changed.
Yes they had a change in 2024: there were powertrain upgrades including new motors and inverters, in addition to a new configuration in the single motor that improves dynamics. These combine for 16 miles of additional range on the dual-motor Polestar 2, all while using the same 78 kWh pack as the 2023 version.
Other additions include new fancy 'performance' wheels Another feature is the “Smartzone,” which integrates radars, cameras, and other sensors into the front of the EV. This design element was first introduced in the Polestar 3, but the 2024 Polestar 2 models will be the first on the road with it. Front end is modified as well.
The 75kWh battery has been swapped out for a new 82kWh one in the Long Range derivatives.

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on the Polestar 2? Pre-owned, 2023 reg, ~10k miles, dual motor long range with the pilot lite, performance and power packs they are suprisingly affordable (imo for my circumstances). Annoyingly no Polestar dealerships in the north. Closest is Manchester or Sheffield or Glasgow. Never sat in or driven one.
Nice cars but wouldn't do it if you need space, it's really very small inside.

Maybe tell us what you need and we can suggest alternatives?

True, but there is a reason that many employers choose to keep things simple in relation to NIC / Taxable profits and use a blanket approach of adopting the advisory fuel rates.

The only workable solution would be to simply not charge at home and expense all of my public charging. That would suit me financially but a cost of 70 odd p/kw for every mile I drive put onto my employer and a repayment of 8ppm back from me for my private mileage is going to see a fair increase on my fuel costs compared to my 1400cc petrol. Plus it would be a PITA from a personal perspective.

The whole setup is stupid. I can drive an EV worth £50k with a BIK of about £20 a month yet they are worried about the NIC implications of fuelling the thing. If they are that worried about getting their pound of flesh then set the BIK rate for the car at a sensible level and not worry about the fuel benefit. Then it is left to the employer and employee to worry about any private miles covered under expensed public charging which would be very easy to resolve.

this. lots of companies just dont want the hassle. Its easy if you pay a blanket amount as the the Govt guidelines.

OK had glanced at your earlier posts, and thought you'd pcp'd so potentially, from earlier market a big balloon to your advantage - yes it didn't make sense at 35K/pa - even a full fleet lease must be hefty

Did you stick to a 20/80 charging regime, and had you run it to near zero sometimes to see what capacity battery demonstrates.

Charge to 80% usually or 90% when needed (think winter drive to work 160 miles when I can't drive economically). Then occasionally hit the 100% for cell balancing but then drive straight away.

Probably only been below 10% twice. The lowest being 7% from memory.

Less than 20 DC charging sessions.

Interestingly the change to non eco tyres did dent the economy a bit. Dropped the long term average (50k miles) to 3.9 mi/kWh. Will go back to Michelin Primacy next time round.

Last edited:

I’ve had a 22 model Single motor Ling Range for about 14k miles. You don’t need a Polestar dealership - it’s just a Volvo in drag and most of their dealerships should sell and service them as many of the parts are the same over both ranges. The platform is just an XC40.

It’s a great car which still looks like a normal car in the whole, whereas the Polestar 3 and upwards have gone more towards the Tesla minimalist look.

I’ve got the Pilot pack which gives me the adaptive cruise control and is the only extra I didn’t want to do without. Everything else in it and the plus pack didn’t add anything major I thought was worth it. I’d also rather have the 19’s over the 20’s it came with as the ride is rather harsh, but on motorways it’s runs fine.

I find the power to be more than adequate as you get the electric performance characteristics, but I’ve not driven the dual motor to know if I’d need double the power. After trying it, I’d probably try and justify it any way I could… :D

Range wise I’m getting 250 easily in summer and closer toward 200 in the winter, but I’ve never done a 100 - 0% run to test it out.

Switches are a bit rubbish but most of it is done through the central screen anyway - the satnav is just Google maps and the best I’ve ever used. I don’t know why any manufacturer would bother making their own software as nothing else comes close to how good it is.

Any more questions just give me a shout :D

Done close to 18k on my Enyaq 80, it’s not shown any range degradation or battery wear so far. Just completed a 340miler on a single full charge over the long weekend with 9% left when got home. Got the OBD2 dongle and car scanner app. The app sometimes shows more maximum battery capacity than what the spec says which is meant to be 77kwh. On a nice warm day I get 79kwh…

Not tested different tyres or non-eco tyres. But I noticed tyre pressure does make a difference to range - quite scarily big difference. I had a puncture to one of the rears. And my range tanked pretty hard when I was nursing the puncture for a few days while waiting for new tyre to be delivered and fitted.

I think last time I reported that i was getting close to 400mile on a full charge unfortunately I only managed 365miles on that charge as the puncture affected range in the last couple days of driving the car.

I don’t regularly let the charge drop below 10% but below 20% it is often done. Only ever go above 80% in prep for a long trip.

Last edited:
Done close to 18k on my Enyaq 80, it’s not shown any range degradation or battery wear so far. Just completed a 340miler on a single full charge over the long weekend with 9% left when got home. Got the OBD2 dongle and car scanner app. The app sometimes shows more maximum battery capacity than what the spec says which is meant to be 77kwh. On a nice warm day I get 79kwh…

Not tested different tyres or non-eco tyres. But I noticed tyre pressure does make a difference to range - quite scarily big difference. I had a puncture to one of the rears. And my range tanked pretty hard when I was nursing the puncture for a few days while waiting for new tyre to be delivered and fitted.

I think last time I reported that i was getting close to 400mile on a full charge unfortunately I only managed 365miles on that charge as the puncture affected range in the last couple days of driving the car.

I don’t regularly let the charge drop below 10% but below 20% it is often done. Only ever go above 80% in prep for a long trip.

Yep, I'm much the same - 80% is my normal charge level, but I've dipped as low as 4% on a longer trip. Granted, it did calculate 10% arrival state of charge, and so I started to nudge my speed up as success seemed more and more likely!

Back
Top Bottom