When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Some analysis from cleantechnca on U.K. BEV sales which are pretty stagnant. They are not impressed to say the least and also point to similar woes across Europe.

One of the more interesting claims they make is LFP cells are now under $50/kwh. Historically $100/kwh was the so called point where ICE and EVs would get price parity*.

So where are the cheap cars?

*the above is not quite apples to apples as the $50 is likely cell level and the $100 is pack level but the cells make up most of the cost of the pack.

Last edited:
Associate
Really liking the look of the Born VZ, some reviews out today. As a package I think it will be very competent.
I won't be in the market for an EV for while having only just got Kona facelift but this is nice, or maybe I've timed it to perfection with the second hand market in 2-3 years :)

Rear wheel (or all wheel) drive makes much more sense in EVs. I guess my only real concerns are the infotainment/climate controls, android auto reliability and I assume it doesn't have 0 regen coasting mode which would be a bummer as that's my favourite mode.

Soldato
It looks like Ford are due due to unveil a new ‘sports’ crossover SUV on the MEB platform next week and it will carry the Capri name.

Thats sure to upset a few die hard fans like them using the Mustang name did on the Mach-e.

It’s expected to be an ID.5 in Ford Explorer clothing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My model 3 arrived on Wednesday. Taking it on a 240 mile drive tonight. So far done about 250 miles in it and it’s very nice to drive.

I got the slow one and the acceleration is quite impressive.

Switched to Octopus Intelligent in like 15 mins (from GO) and my export goes from 8 to 15p now.

So for cost to drive is about 1.6p per mile so will be making a good profit on HMRC advisory rates.
How far did you get before it needed public charging ?

Soldato
It looks like Ford are due due to unveil a new ‘sports’ crossover SUV on the MEB platform next week and it will carry the Capri name.

Thats sure to upset a few die hard fans like them using the Mustang name did on the Mach-e.

It’s expected to be an ID.5 in Ford Explorer clothing.
Tbh, I drive the MEB platform. It’s efficient and rides well - certainly the car I have. Handling wise, town driving no issues. If you get a bit carried away on country roads, those bends will surprise you. Maybe the Enyaq just have soft squeeshy suspension system.

Problem with Ford is that they price their cars too expensive.

Associate
How far did you get before it needed public charging ?

180 miles with 20% left at Oxford services (which is a older slower supercharger), 20 mins charge while I went for a bio brake and got a coffee.

Got up to 80% for the total cost of £1.84 (due to free credit on delivery should be been £16.60)

arrived at destination with 60%. This is smack on what I planned.

Probably need a £20 charge on the way home, so still way cheeper then petrol.

Edit: The total journey was probably 5-10 mins longer than using a ICE car. But a lot nicer and easier (due to autopilot)

Last edited:
Caporegime
But with those charges I guess that blows away any profit from 8p a mile HMRC? You would get 45p back in a petrol…

Ps all cars can have ‘autopilot’. It’s not a EV only thing.

Last edited:
Associate
But with those charges I guess that blows away any profit from 8p a mile HMRC? You would get 45p back in a petrol…

Ps all cars can have ‘autopilot’. It’s not a EV only thing.

No I would get 12-13p if it was a ICE car per mile if it’s was for business (the trip wasn’t) as it’s a company car. However I would still just scrape a profit if it was, at the 8-9p rate.

Edit. I haven’t seen that many cars with auto steering that actually work. Not just adaptive cruise.

Edit 2: if it was a personal car on business if you were only paid 8p per mile. You can claim tax of the difference to 45p. I believe

Last edited:
Soldato
If it’s a private car your employer can pay up to 45p for the first 10k miles before any tax kicks in regardless of fuel type.

If they pay below 45p you can claim the tax back on the difference.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I won't be in the market for an EV for while having only just got Kona facelift but this is nice, or maybe I've timed it to perfection with the second hand market in 2-3 years :)

Rear wheel (or all wheel) drive makes much more sense in EVs. I guess my only real concerns are the infotainment/climate controls, android auto reliability and I assume it doesn't have 0 regen coasting mode which would be a bummer as that's my favourite mode.
The current one has d or b and d mode just coasts so I’m sure the new one will.

Soldato
Pretty sure they said they'll stop making cars by 2030 branded Seat, unless they've altered that decision recently?
This was my understanding, seat was to become some e-mobility brand and no longer be on any cars. Cupra is effectively taking over that business.

Last edited:
Associate
So, first long trip somewhere complete. 3 days after delivery of my model 3.

Long Friday drive. Pottering about on Saterday / Sunday then long drive home.

Best part of 500 miles

Two supercharging stops (I would have stopped anyway. No other charging as no opportunity at the location.

Total cost £16.40 (should have been £31.08 due to free miles). So almost half the price of petrol.

Total drive time was probably 5 mins longer as I need to stop anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
It is a Highland you have ? was the trip mostly motorway and what was the efficiency

Yes.

4.4 miles per Kwh in the 655 miles I have had it. Vast majority is motorway with the second being fast A roads.

No attempt to hypermile and I have a heavy foot. So 250 mile range is realistic.

The wife is borrowing it next week for a long run so I would expect it to improve.

Very impressed with charging speed. No time really added to my journey at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn’t the highland have 66kwh usable capacity? With 4.4miles/kWh that should be close to 300mile range.

Is 250mile the max you got out of the full charge?

Pretty sure 500 miles on £16 is 1/4 or 1/5 of a petrol car. Even £32 for 500miles is around 1/3 of petrol car. That’s about the limit of a tank of a petrol. A tank is around £80-90

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom