When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Front and rear laser spirit level lights look rubbish. They go well with the black badges on a black car with black trim and black wheels trend in ensuring that this era of cars ages very badly...

...says the middle aged guy who thinks that a Dacia Sandero is decent looking motor :o

Last edited:
Soldato
As Simon had commented to me - the branding on the Mustang mach-e in the shuttle tv add was not the clearest,
but in the generation who want to wear their brands with pride - epitomized by Louis Vuitton ?
have a glowing emblem on your most expensive possession (well who would want a Barratts emblem) sounds logical.
I hadn't realised bmw have glowing badges.

Soldato
As Simon had commented to me - the branding on the Mustang mach-e in the shuttle tv add was not the clearest,
You don't say, there wasn't a clear shot of the car in any of the sequences and if you didn't recognise the rear lights or the dash/screen you'd be hard pressed to know what it even was.

but in the generation who want to wear their brands with pride - epitomized by Louis Vuitton ?
have a glowing emblem on your most expensive possession (well who would want a Barratts emblem) sounds logical.
I hadn't realised bmw have glowing badges.

The former is pretty trashy, there is nothing that screams Chav than a fake 'high end' designer handbag. Lets be realistic, those that love to display their brands with pride can't actually afford a real Louis.

@lordrobes is on the money here, he forgot to mention the primer only paint jobs that seems to be ever popular at the moment. They match the chavtastic retrofitted anthracite grey door, UPVC double glazing and garage door.

Soldato
I like the black trim on cars i must admit, i also like the primer grey cars we see now (better than silver anyway imo) and also like the anthracite grey double glazing and hardieplank on some houses.

but then i never said i had good taste.

Last edited:
Soldato
If Apple had got into ev's that would have upped the branding standard.

OVer priced, unrepairable, bespoke everything, non-standard ports, form before fuction, being "brave" to remove something really useful like the brake pedal. Ah yes Apple the pinnacle of marketing, but that is about all. Oh you'd get a 'retina' windscreen though. :cry:

Associate
OVer priced, unrepairable, bespoke everything, non-standard ports, form before fuction, being "brave" to remove something really useful like the brake pedal. Ah yes Apple the pinnacle of marketing, but that is about all. Oh you'd get a 'retina' windscreen though. :cry:
“Yes, I’d like to store a copy of my vehicle in the cloud please.”

Soldato
All of those things are true, but they do just work properly.

If only cars had the reliability of an Apple product ;)

Soldato
Interesting that he mentions another high mileage car that has had 6 new batteries and 28 new motors. That's quite a difference in component attrition!

He's switched on though, to see the value in that free supercharging and go all in back then took some stones.

I'm sure I've seen that car locally but I doubt he does many runs to Norwich international and it's half a dozen flights a day :p

The guy I know with an S had the DRL issue, and various bits that rubbed away at themselves removing paint... And autopilot horror stories come to think of it. He's still a big fan of the car though.

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting that he mentions another high mileage car that has had 6 new batteries and 28 new motors. That's quite a difference in component attrition!

He's switched on though, to see the value in that free supercharging and go all in back then took some stones.

I'm sure I've seen that car locally but I doubt he does many runs to Norwich international and it's half a dozen flights a day :p

The guy I know with an S had the DRL issue, and various bits that rubbed away at themselves removing paint... And autopilot horror stories come to think of it. He's still a big fan of the car though.
Yeah that's pretty smart getting the free charging :)

I'll like autopilot after it's finished and hasn't had a single issue for a billion miles. Then I guess we won't actually need to own cars anymore and just car as a service. That's an unrelated EV side quest.

I like to hear about epic EV mileage cars to counter all the naysayers. EVs have been around a while now, where are all the so called EV scrap heaps?

Soldato

Sadly the guy completely misspoke with reference to that car, it's 13 motors and 3 batteries - Link also done had done 1.9million KM's as of December 2023, and the early 2014 Model S motors had a fault that can't be worked around with the new design version as they don't fit.

EDIT: Motors are now much better (2022 article) 500,000Km Model 3, original battery and motor still. - Link

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly the guy completely misspoke with reference to that car, it's 13 motors and 3 batteries - Link also done had done 1.9million KM's as of December 2023, and the early 2014 Model S motors had a fault that can't be worked around with the new design version as they don't fit.

EDIT: Motors are now much better (2022 article) 500,000Km Model 3, original battery and motor still. - Link
Those are some crazy miles. I've just been reading that he's retired, he must spend over a third of his life sat in that thing!

Also interesting to read about the motor issues. Certainly seems to be a problem with the replacement ones after the original unit lasted 800000.

Impressive figures none the less. Highest mileage car I've had was a Passat TDI with 172k on it which seems like nothing in comparison!

Soldato
My neighbor is quite senior at Ford and just arrived in an electric Ford Explorer. Looks pretty cool- the paint is amazing. Going to try and bum a look around tomorrow - only £45k!

Back
Top Bottom