When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
It will be a rounding error in the grand scheme of the cost of employing someone. Commercial energy rates have dropped right back to ‘normal’.

People on low wages are not doing 50 miles each way to work and the people with long commutes are probably well paid otherwise they wouldn’t do it.

Soldato
There seems be issues with all the almost 1st attempt cars. Ipace has the battery and hvac issues, Etron the emotor etc. 100% would get a warranty, current deal from Audi and jag is 2 years warranty, 2 years service, 2 years breakdown and free home charger plus £500 deposit contribution if using finance (which just pay back early at a later date) the size and increase in luxury would be nice. Id3 I just can't like it no matter what. The interior is awfully boring.

Edit/ forgot to add that mustang mach e on the list as is polestar 2
Are you looking to own outright in the end or just find a good monthly and treat it as a lease?

With the speed the tech is evolving I'd strongly encourage the latter to be honest. Let us know your budget either way and can help a bit more otherwise our recommendations will just come across as a little scattergun

Soldato
you misunderstood it was a (rhetorical and genuine interest) ) question to demon about how much the units costs his company - doubt it is 7.5ph ...
which begs the question of what total cost to company is for all employee free charging

It does not such sort of “begging a question”. The only begging is you for answers as usual.

Last edited:
Soldato
It will be a rounding error in the grand scheme of the cost of employing someone. Commercial energy rates have dropped right back to ‘normal’.

People on low wages are not doing 50 miles each way to work and the people with long commutes are probably well paid otherwise they wouldn’t do it.
Absolutely this. I left my previous line of comments as it was starting to get a little crass with people getting referred to as "paupers" but any push back on things like this is purely optics from those that are 'missing out' and has nothing to do with actual cost.

It is literally nothing in the grand scale of things. As a comparison I was working away at a customers for 2 days this week and my expenses on food and drink alone will be around £100. I probably average that most weeks so over £4k a year to feed me. That's probably more than the annual grocery bill for most of our employees.

The value to the employee who wants to go EV but doesn't have off street parking is huge. Therefore in the grand scheme of things it's a great thing for employers to offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely this. I left my previous line of comments as it was starting to get a little crass with people getting referred to as "paupers" but any push back on things like this is purely optics from those that are 'missing out' and has nothing to do with actual cost.

It is literally nothing in the grand scale of things. As a comparison I was working away at a customers for 2 days this week and my expenses on food and drink alone will be around £100. I probably average that most weeks so over £4k a year to feed me. That's probably more than the annual grocery bill for most of our employees.

The value to the employee who wants to go EV but doesn't have off street parking is huge. Therefore in the grand scheme of things it's a great thing for employers to offer.

So all in the whole charging thing for employees is a nothing burger, but you wanted to highlight it why? Also what's wrong with calling someone pauper, it just means a very poor person. And apparently if you are on minimum wage you can afford to buy and run an ICE car and therefore have the rights about someone else who gets a few pounds worth of free charging, but not worth complaining about anything else that actually hold a much larger financial inventive/benefit to them. Or you know they could just buy a cheap EV if they care that much and get the same free charging.

Soldato
It’s not a black cheque, your average driver does under 20 miles a day, that’s what 5-8kwh of energy.

At 25p/kwh, we are talking about under £2/day assuming they do 100% of their charging at work. You are talking about 10 minutes of pay per employee per day at minimum wage.

Sure the cost per employee is probably higher at the moment. I expect EVs are generally skewed towards higher milage drivers currently but over the entire workforce they wouldn’t be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just for some reason if people seem to think buying a 'decent' BEV is expensive, I've not sought this one out first one I saw with max budget of £7,500., which I am using as it isn't mega money. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202406211004921

Lets take the person who is whining about free charging, lets say they so the standard 7500 miles per year, and their current car does 40MPG at £1.45l, so they are spending ~£1250 a year on fuel, which as they'll be charging for free will no longer have to pay, so they put that saving towards a car, let s then assume their current car is worth £2,000 (so something like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202406100606736 a not dissimilar sized car). They take their £2k and borrow the £5.5k over 3 years at 7.5%, so around £170 per month, but they are saving a £100 in fuel as they are getting that free now, so and extra £70, at the end they own a car that is newer and is still saving them £1250 a year in fuel costs. And the powertrain and battery is still in warranty until 2027. Knock of the extra costs for fewer serviceable parts etc. and you are likely at £50 a month, which will have almost been paid back after year 4 of the free charging. So YAY free car upgrade!

People love to whine but hate to learn.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Picked up my 2021 Nissan Leaf Tekna this morning and what a beauty she is. Just about every option available was fitted including rear view camera, not mirror, full leather interior, heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, Bose 7.1 sound system, gadgets coming out the ying yang!! For the 62 mile journey home I averaged 3.6miles per kWh, is that good or bad? Time will tell if I have made a wise decision but for my usage and driving style I think this will work out fine. Insurance was only £57 extra over the 2017 Ford B-Max plus I no longer have a massive bill waiting for me in three years time to get the belt changed. It's a deceptively large car, especially compared to the B-Max but easy to adjust to apart from going for a pedal and gear stick that aren't there!! The seats are super comfy and was easily adjusted for my 6'2" and there is even space for a adult in the back seat behind me unlike in the B-Max. She grips the road like she's on rails but the new ditch finders they have put on three corners will be going. Here are some pics.

r4vJklH.jpeg

HbQvcwg.jpeg

o9NT2nf.jpeg

zdbj6Ww.jpeg

souoLWp.jpeg

v6w5ANR.jpeg

Associate
I'll go electric when they make a fast (sub 12 1/4 mile, 4 sec 0-60mph), small'ish, EV I can afford. I don't like how bulbous the fast 1's seem to be.

Soldato
So all in the whole charging thing for employees is a nothing burger, but you wanted to highlight it why? Also what's wrong with calling someone pauper, it just means a very poor person. And apparently if you are on minimum wage you can afford to buy and run an ICE car and therefore have the rights about someone else who gets a few pounds worth of free charging, but not worth complaining about anything else that actually hold a much larger financial inventive/benefit to them. Or you know they could just buy a cheap EV if they care that much and get the same free charging.
Firstly I said I could empathise with a low paid worker feeling put out by a benefit being made available that they weren't able to tap into and were priced out of. I never said I agreed with the mindset. It's quite possible to empathise with a mindset but also disagree with it.

Secondly my post that you part quoted originally referenced people that potentially couldn't afford a car at all. You misread that as people who have ICE cars. The cheapest of EVs are still not an option for some. To come in and give an example of a cheap £7.5k car shows that you can't relate to people in that situation. Just borrow £5k @7.5%. Great idea, is that on top of the maxed out credit cards and rent arrears :rolleyes:

Thirdly right from the outset I said it was a forward thinking move by the company that was offering the free charging and putting in the option for further provision in the future.

Finally, pauper is a derogatory term no matter what dictionary definition you choose to select.

Apologies to drag further off topic but I wanted to make my position crystal clear.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I live in a fairly deprived area, very EV’s. You either have the criminal types with nice cars, the lower middle classes with cars on finance, or the majority who buy a 10-12 year old nice car for sub 3k. Just sold my dad’s 11 plate c220 estate for 2100. Lovely car, rather be in that than a Zoe or a i20 tbh. The last thing these people want to do is take out a loan of 5k.

Soldato
Apologies to drag further off topic but I wanted to make my position crystal clear.

No need to apologise, but you are saying that a person who can't afford a car, who has rent arrears, and credit card debit is worrying about someone with a £40k Tesla getting £2.50 worth of charging a week, is mad about this when it literally has zero impact on them at all. Somehow if that person is irrationally jealous/annoyed about something, they might want to first look at what it is they are putting pointless energy into, and concentrate on something more important. Perhaps I sound totally heartless, but I've been at bottom of the barrel growing up and I chose education over complaining.

Finally, pauper is a derogatory term no matter what dictionary definition you choose to select.
Ok if you say so, I'll rephrase - A very poor person who can still afford a car.

Using a set of words reduced to a single word is kinda of the point in words sometimes, next time I want to say 2 I'll say 10+6/4 -2 = 2 rather than just saying 2.

Soldato
No need to apologise, but you are saying that a person who can't afford a car, who has rent arrears, and credit card debit is worrying about someone with a £40k Tesla getting £2.50 worth of charging a week, is mad about this when it literally has zero impact on them at all. Somehow if that person is irrationally jealous/annoyed about something, they might want to first look at what it is they are putting pointless energy into, and concentrate on something more important. Perhaps I sound totally heartless, but I've been at bottom of the barrel growing up and I chose education over complaining.

Ok if you say so, I'll rephrase - A very poor person who can still afford a car.

Using a set of words reduced to a single word is kinda of the point in words sometimes, next time I want to say 2 I'll say 10+6/4 -2 = 2 rather than just saying 2.
What I'm saying is whether it's £2.50 a week, £25 a week or 25p a week, it's irrelevant. What many people will see is those that "have" getting another perk. As I said, I can empathise with that mindset even if in pounds and pence terms it means jack.

Edit - Simon hit the nail on the head while I was making myself a brew.

It's funny, for a large amount of my childhood we had very little money but it's left me with a lot of empathy for those less well off and a lot of gratitude for where I find myself today.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was advised to ask this here rather than the Jag thread.

What do I need to know if buying a 2023+ I-Pace R-Dynamic HSE Black? Mrs HB has decided she prefers this to the Tesla MYLR and I like the look of it, cheaper to run in terms of insurance quotes but the JLR reliability rumour has grasped me, and the range seems less (Circa 200-230 miles VS circa 300-330 for the Tesla)

I’ve had a look on the ipace forum, there seems to be plenty of issues but no one is going to post when things are good. JLR support seems dire, but then so does Tesla.

A few mates have said “don’t do it” but their experience is based on ICE Jags, and with it being new-ish should have a decent warranty, subject to dealer support not sucking.

Any advice?

Soldato
It's funny, for a large amount of my childhood we had very little money but it's left me with a lot of empathy for those less well off and a lot of gratitude for where I find myself today.

I have empathy for those who are worse off I just don't buy pointless complaining. I grew up in a single parent household (I say household as we were homeless for a while, as back then there was no protection for kids Dad's selling their homes out from under them) with a mother who had two low paying jobs, and we lived like paupers (a saying my Mother used to use). My mother used to have a mini metro but when it was stolen with 3rd party cover the payout was so small she couldn't afford another car, so for the majority of my life we had a zero car household, we grew up in debt, in social housing, living around people who though the world owed them all a favour while taking every penny they could get from the tax paying public.
Yet my mother never complained about other people having more than us, she just said work hard at school keep your head down and eventually it will work out.

So going back right around to the start I don't think anything about the person getting a few quid free charging is an issue, there are far bigger issue to worry about than something that has no material effect on them at all. Society isn't fair, if it was there would be no poor people.

Back
Top Bottom