When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
It seems, from what has been posted a couple of times on the i-Pace facebook group, that there are a lot of MY21 cars which haven't been updated since the 4.0.1 one which came out in august last year. Mine is in the same position which is mildly annoying when you read the release notes and there are things that impact the MY21 cars.

Send me your VIN :) I’ll find out as 4.1.6 went live last week.

Soldato
because you are (presumably deliberately?) missing the point of promoting EVs in the 1st place

for years our place has offered a free work bus from set locations as well as given the odd reward for multi passenger vehicles and those who cycle or run to work.

offering random perks for single occupancy petrol /diesel drivers would be boneheaded in the extreme (tho admittedly not entirely surprising that some whine about it).

FWIW due to where I live I have not benefitted from most of the perks and I don't use works cheap charging either any more..... but Indo not begrudge those who can benefit.

the one area I think the governments should do better (so separate from individual company perks) is instead of offering policies for huge company car new car tax breaks only, also offer something for people who buy 2nd hand EVs.

a 2nd hand EV is if anything better than getting a new car all the time.

So if I rock up with a battery bank in my boot, charge it up and power my house with it at work's expense would that be fine? It's saving the planet right? Why not.

Soldato
I don't think that really puts the argument to bed at all. Just go and get yourself another car isn't really a good counter to a perceived benefit that already benefits those better off financially.

So they don't complain about all the other things I mentioned then, that goes with having a *better* job? Why do some of the people I work with get an extra 4% pension contribution from the business just because I started 2 months after then changed the plans? That's not fair right? That makes them way better off than a few pence of charging a week. Have all the staff who aren't on minimum wage complained it they didn't receive at least £1.02 extra per hour, in April, when the NMW went up by the same amount?

The fact that these paupers can afford cars in the first place should count themselves lucky, all I had as a family growing up was a bus pass at best, and my feet and a push bike otherwise.

I have never worked anywhere where all the staff were treated the same all the time.
Some people in lower level jobs may think thats how it works, but in my experience and as someone who would see this in finance (hence seeing the costs) its never the case.

More fool the idiot who thinks its equitable.
Don't ask, don't get.

Companies can choose to give away free elec for car charging if they want. For many its part of their corporate responsibility planning, to encourage the shift to green.

Soldato
The huge irony is the ‘perk’ is only worth ~£200 if the alternative is charging at home. It’s only £200 if you do all of your charging for 8000 miles of driving at work.

Soldato
I'm actually more thinking now about the ipace or an Etron as can increase the budget slightly. Tell me if I'm mad!

Unless you can find one with an approved used extended warranty I'd steer clear. Big expensive cars with big repair bills. I think the etron in particular has reported motor issues?

Also be sure to check out the id3, it's deceptively roomy on the inside

Soldato
I'm actually more thinking now about the ipace or an Etron as can increase the budget slightly. Tell me if I'm mad!
Depends what matters to you. They are much much nicer cars but come with bigger running costs - agree with @Kill_Phil an official warranty would probaby make sense as the bills can be big if you don't have one

Associate
/Ramblings. Monday there was no traffic to work, 12 miles sailed in and my car gave a trip summary of 6.4miles per kw, new record for me, I might have to start taking photos :) I think there is a sweet spot where it's just the right temperature outside to not use aircon or heating and maybe also optimal for the battery.

Driving through Solihull there are a lot of EVs around but thats be to expected as it's bloody expensive around there. I've seen 2 ID Buzz around Hampton in Arden a few times on the way to work, plus Cupra Born, good choice :)

Soldato
There is a certain amount of devil's advocate in this reply but I think there is reason to empathise with the minimum wage employee on the production line, even if you don't necessarily agree with their rebuttal against the offering.
Its a communication thing..

1. Now that EVs are much much cheaper to a point that there are many EVs under £10k now that are fairly credible and for £13k you get a good ID.3 or similar, and that the company SS Schemes often have good deals on various cars (especially second hand on our one!), these are all accessible to our production staff at the normal monthly figures they spend on their cars now.
2. The saving to an employee is really only ~7.5p/kwh which isn't that much overall, even for high mile commuters (18K Miles PA) that's only ~£30 a month.. if doing 5k Miles commuting that's a whopping £8.22 a month.. it's bugger all..
3. People know there is a push for EVs from the government and understand incentives.. However in our case, its more to just soften the blow to anyone that is venturing into EVs because their is no BIK (yet) on charging in work, when their is, we'll do what we can.

FYI, On our SS Scheme, a 2021 ID.3 58kwh with 10-12k miles is ~£276 a month for a low tax bracket earner, that includes everything, so with fuel savings on top that is quite impressive, quite a few of our production staff are starting to ask more and more and I am always happy to go over figures with them, it is amazing how many buy cars on PCP and in reality are spending over £500 a month on the amortised deposit/finance/insurance/servicing/tyres/maintenance etc..

Soldato
Today. I am going full electric today. Picked up our ID-3 this morning. Recovering from a bad migraine yesterday and not feeling up to much so taking it for a longer run will have to wait, but so far we love it. Comfortable, genuinely fun to drive, plenty of handy tech. Ticks all the boxes.
Nice!

The ID.3 Max we had for over 2 years was great, of all the cars in that class it was smoother and more refined, I wanted to hate it when test driving but ended up buying one (privately!)..

Last edited:
Caporegime
The ID.3 Max we had for over 2 years was great, of all the cars in that class it was smoother and more refined, I wanted to hate it when test driving but ended up buying one (privately!)..

From what I understand, it's had a pretty significant interior upgrade since the earlier versions, but the underpinings are much the same I think. I'd certainly agree it's a smooth and refined ride. We're leasing ours, they were offering a pretty good deal probably because VW aren't shifting enough EVs at the moment, so it came in at a nice price. Although we added a few options that weren't strictly needed - but having a HUD is so cool.

Going to take a while to get used to not having a clutch, gears, or handbrake.

Associate
Depends what matters to you. They are much much nicer cars but come with bigger running costs - agree with @Kill_Phil an official warranty would probaby make sense as the bills can be big if you don't have one
There seems be issues with all the almost 1st attempt cars. Ipace has the battery and hvac issues, Etron the emotor etc. 100% would get a warranty, current deal from Audi and jag is 2 years warranty, 2 years service, 2 years breakdown and free home charger plus £500 deposit contribution if using finance (which just pay back early at a later date) the size and increase in luxury would be nice. Id3 I just can't like it no matter what. The interior is awfully boring.

Edit/ forgot to add that mustang mach e on the list as is polestar 2

Last edited:
Soldato
2. The saving to an employee is really only ~7.5p/kwh which isn't that much overall, even for high mile commuters (18K Miles PA) that's only ~£30 a month.. if doing 5k Miles commuting that's a whopping £8.22 a month.. it's bugger all..
how much do/will the Kwh cost your company if they are providing them free at work ? and the saving becomes significant for those, especially with private phevs/ev and no home charging.

Associate
the one area I think the governments should do better (so separate from individual company perks) is instead of offering policies for huge company car new car tax breaks only, also offer something for people who buy 2nd hand EVs.

a 2nd hand EV is if anything better than getting a new car all the time.

About 60% of new cars are purchased for fleet use. 80% of car transactions are second hand.

The policy makes sense as it incentivises business users to buy new EV which drive sales and adoptions. While generating a stream of well maintained second hand EV for private buyers that are 2-3 years old.

The incentive is built in. The fleet operator has already paid for the largest chuck of depreciation. You can get some amazing second hand EV deals, cheeper that some equivalent ICE cars of similar size, spec, mileage and age.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom