When are you going fully electric?

Associate
My advice from what I can see is buy quickly buy used. The price of a 2021 or even 2022 is crazy cheap compared to a new one plus if you do it before end of the month jag dealerships are throwing excellent deals around (2 year warranty etc). Just make sure you get a full battery health check.

This from my last week of mad research as also leaning ipace direction heavily but more towards purchasing end of year.

Soldato
Where £2.50 from ? Doesn’t matter the value it’s the ‘unfair’ treatment

I'll pose you the same question as earlier - are you as bitter towards people getting tax free childcare? Which is worth far more financially than a few £ in free charging (before our youngest was eligible for the 30hrs free/week, I was saving more per month from tax free childcare than my annual spend on charging the car).

Caporegime
I'll pose you the same question as earlier - are you as bitter towards people getting tax free childcare? Which is worth far more financially than a few £ in free charging (before our youngest was eligible for the 30hrs free/week, I was saving more per month from tax free childcare than my annual spend on charging the car).
Who me??? I’m not bitter at all

Associate
You regret more that which you do not do than that which you do do.

If you get the car and you like it, great, if you get the car and it has awful issues then you get years of anecdotes about how bad it was.
excellent advice...i bought a peugeot 407 and everyone said id get problems...looked online afterwards and was shocked by things going wrong ,had the car 5 years never had a problem and never spent a penny other than oil and filters.
had i listened to others first would never have bought it.

Soldato
I was advised to ask this here rather than the Jag thread.

What do I need to know if buying a 2023+ I-Pace R-Dynamic HSE Black? Mrs HB has decided she prefers this to the Tesla MYLR and I like the look of it, cheaper to run in terms of insurance quotes but the JLR reliability rumour has grasped me, and the range seems less (Circa 200-230 miles VS circa 300-330 for the Tesla)

I’ve had a look on the ipace forum, there seems to be plenty of issues but no one is going to post when things are good. JLR support seems dire, but then so does Tesla.

A few mates have said “don’t do it” but their experience is based on ICE Jags, and with it being new-ish should have a decent warranty, subject to dealer support not sucking.

Any advice?
I have a MY21 and it is a fantastic car. Don’t hear about too many issues with the newest models tbh but dealers can be a bit slow to sort issues out. It will depreciate like a rock so think carefully about how you are finding it

Caporegime
I was advised to ask this here rather than the Jag thread.

What do I need to know if buying a 2023+ I-Pace R-Dynamic HSE Black? Mrs HB has decided she prefers this to the Tesla MYLR and I like the look of it, cheaper to run in terms of insurance quotes but the JLR reliability rumour has grasped me, and the range seems less (Circa 200-230 miles VS circa 300-330 for the Tesla)

I’ve had a look on the ipace forum, there seems to be plenty of issues but no one is going to post when things are good. JLR support seems dire, but then so does Tesla.

A few mates have said “don’t do it” but their experience is based on ICE Jags, and with it being new-ish should have a decent warranty, subject to dealer support not sucking.

Any advice?
I've had the pre-facelift iPace and really enjoyed it, I would not, however, touch one as a private purchase unless it was dirt cheap. Depreciation, poor range, slow charging and dealer support being the main reasons.

Cell failure seems an increasingly common issue currently too.

Last edited:
Soldato
The failed cells rumour is no worse than any other manufacturer. I-Pace uses the same cells as other manufacturers that have had a recall, Kia and Hyundai. I am active in a number of I-Pace forums and the actual number of people with failed cells can be counted on one hand. The ones who have had it tend to complain a lot more on a forum (as noted in a previous post).

If you are getting a used car now I would not buy from independent dealers if there is no original warranty left. I would not buy any car (ICE or EV) if it was not possible to buy an official manufacturer extended warranty. Far too many expensive parts in modern cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m new to EVs, I’ve got an eGolf, mostly for shorter trips locally. On the off chance I need to use public charging, what do I need to do, can I just rock up and PAYG or is it more complicated?

I’ve signed up to WeCharge through the VW app but I think that only allows me to charge with certain providers and from some Googling, there appear to be lots of providers.

Associate
I’m new to EVs, I’ve got an eGolf, mostly for shorter trips locally. On the off chance I need to use public charging, what do I need to do, can I just rock up and PAYG or is it more complicated?

I’ve signed up to WeCharge through the VW app but I think that only allows me to charge with certain providers and from some Googling, there appear to be lots of providers.

There’s plenty that offer contactless charging, and it’s mandatory from next year I believe. Lots of Macdonalds have Ionity chargers with contactless and are usually an easy find if you need one.

I’d recommend Zapmap for a good way of finding local ones and filtering by speed, payment method etc

Soldato
There’s plenty that offer contactless charging, and it’s mandatory from next year I believe. Lots of Macdonalds have Ionity chargers with contactless and are usually an easy find if you need one.

I’d recommend Zapmap for a good way of finding local ones and filtering by speed, payment method etc
Is that a rip off of McDonald’s?

Soldato

Most rapid chargers have contactless now, some don’t. Hardly any AC chargers and they will need some kind of account/app/RFID card to use.

You can use a ‘roaming’ provider like VW WeCharge, Octopus Electroverse, Charge Point or Shell Recharge. Most of these aggregators have similar coverage of networks.

The thing with these roaming providers or aggregators is that pricing can vary, sometimes it is cheaper going direct, sometimes it’s cheaper to go via an aggregator.

I’m signed up to a few of the aggregators but almost always direct with the network as well, mostly to compare pricing and select the cheapest.

Back
Top Bottom