When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Digital mirrors fad - polestsar 4 driver raises an interesting point https://youtu.be/g4Qgo_fgdGI?t=844 you get reflections of the interior of car on top of screen,
how many un-cowled touch screens are badly positioned for reflections too, though, or, won't work with polarized glasses (mirror too)
ambiance & light through pan roof makes up for missing rear window though;

..One of the cars potentially attracting additional duty though, if KS follows Ursula.

Soldato
We've a short range small EV that we use 95% of the time. We've only gone beyond it's range once in almost a year. You can do a long trip in an short range EV.

Not entirely sure if it's been inferred otherwise..
Absolutely. In that one instance it would have been a pain as it would mean charging near the airport prior to the flight and my wife is ALWAYS late leaving so that would be a stress. Alternative would be having to stop before heading back, at midnight, with a 2 year old...

I'm sure that will become a service in the future though, meet and greet with a fully charged car ready for you on your return.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that is already a thing, you need to pre-book it of course.

Of course you can always go the Norway route and install 900 (pretty slow load balanced) chargers in your airport car park with 900 spaces and include 'free' leccy with your overpriced parking.

Soldato
Alternative would be having to stop before heading back, at midnight, with a 2 year old...

I had to do exactly that with a 3 year old, driving back 150 miles as we needed to put air in the tires after finding one had gone almost totally flat after leaving the car park. Took 20 mins by the time I was done as I had to wait for someone else to get out of the way first, and they pee'd off into the shop to buy snacks. :rolleyes: Saving grace is kids sleep, especially after an active exciting flight, it was the Mrs who was whinging. :p

Associate
Just come to the end of the first month of driving my model 3. I’m supper impressed with it and more than happy I saved the £100 / month and the extra year and went with the RWD over the Long Range.

1688 miles
364 kWh used
216 Wh/mi (4.63 miles/ kWh)

This included a 500 round trip (over 2 days) on day 3 of ownership where superchargers was required.

Cost for superchargers = £16.39
Home charging = £34.35
Total charging cost = £50.71

Business miles = 486 (£38.88 reimbursement @ 8p / miles)
This would have been higher but I was ill so missed a week of traveling as I typically do about 750 miles of business travel a month.

Monthly cost £11.83

If it wasn’t for the 500 mile trip, or being ill for a week, I should have made a profit

Last edited:
Soldato
Just come to the end of the first month of driving my model 3. I’m supper impressed with it and more than happy I saved the £100 / month and the extra year and went with the RWD over the Long Range.

1688 miles
364 kWh used
216 Wh/mi (4.63 miles/ kWh)

This included a 500 round trip (over 2 days) on day 3 of ownership where superchargers was required.

Cost for superchargers = £16.39
Home charging = £34.35
Total charging cost = £50.71

Business miles = 486 (£38.88 reimbursement @ 8p / miles)
This would have been higher but I was ill so missed a week of traveling as I typically do about 750 miles of business travel a month.

Monthly cost £11.83

If it wasn’t for the 500 mile trip, or being ill for a week, I should have made a profit
Did you get the car for free?

Soldato
I had to do exactly that with a 3 year old, driving back 150 miles as we needed to put air in the tires after finding one had gone almost totally flat after leaving the car park. Took 20 mins by the time I was done as I had to wait for someone else to get out of the way first, and they pee'd off into the shop to buy snacks. :rolleyes: Saving grace is kids sleep, especially after an active exciting flight, it was the Mrs who was whinging. :p
That's a good point actually, the boy was asleep within 100 yards and my wife wasn't too far behind. If I'd had to stop for a top up charge I could have had a nap too!

Associate
So cheap lol, model 3 lease is more than double that cost where I am

It’s a company vehicle so my contribution is significantly reduced, it should be around £600 per month on paper.

My monthly fuel bill is typically £120-200 so it is saving me a quite a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys, well I am picking up an EV next week, can anyone tell me the battery percentage when to charge and be full at? In order to prolong the battery life?

Much appreciated :)

Soldato
Hi guys, well I am picking up an EV next week, can anyone tell me the battery percentage when to charge and be full at? In order to prolong the battery life?

Short answer: RTFM

Long answer: Every car is different so follow the manufacturers guidance.

Edit: what are you picking up?

Last edited:
Soldato

Most OEMs are recommending charge up to 80% for day to day commuting and only go 100% if you need the range for a trip. You can top up every day. There is no evidence that batteries degrade to any significant effect.

Soldato
I fully expect PHEVs to be around until 2035 so in practice, it’s not that significant of a change.

Car manufacturers would have been planning for a Labour win so they’ll be expecting it.

Edit: I can see BIK rising sharply on PHEVs in the autumn though - gotta raise the cash.

Last edited:
Associate
Labour manifesto was to reintroduce 2030 ICE ban

Interesting times ahead

Its labour, so it will no doubt be punishing for everything car, not just ICE, just look at what the councils were like and scale that up nationally, get your bicycles ready!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the response, It's a Volkswagen I.D 3
I think that’s an 80% unless you need it car as @Calpol said.

The thing that most manufacturers and dealers are poor at communicating is what the usual approach is for rapid charging.

When rapid charging, the best analogy is it’s like filling a glass of water from a tap. When the glass is empty, you can pour the water in at full flow. As it fills up, you have to back off the tap so you don’t overflow the cup, by the time it’s nearly full, you are trickling in the power.

Cars tend to charge quickly up to 50% and then start slowing down. You are usually better off charging twice than you are going past 70-80%. It usually takes a lot longer to charge from 80-100% than it does from 0-80%. That means it’s usually faster to stop twice than it is to do a long charge to a high %.

You’ll be particularly unpopular if you are charging at a busy location and people are waiting for you to finish if your car is sat on a 350 kw rapid charger at 95% taking 10kw from the charger. If it’s not busy, don’t worry about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom