When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Its labour, so it will no doubt be punishing for everything car, not just ICE, just look at what the councils were like and scale that up nationally, get your bicycles ready!
It's a labour government, not green lol

Be ready for a lot more fuel duty though

Hopefully they also rebalance some of the environmental obligations from leccy to gas to incentivise greening of heating and transport, that would be a positive move

Last edited:
Soldato
0% APR on all Tesla 3/Y just went live if anyone is interested, that’s on both HP and PCP.

Not an error this time apparently.
Update on this - the granny charger is no longer bundled with the car and is now an £180 extra. It looks like the type 2 cable is still included.

£180 isn’t a bad price given it’s a 32A EVSE with the commando dongle but I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch on the finance.

Soldato
I've mine set to automatically charge to 90 unless I'm doing a long trip then I do 100. Usually plug it at home when it getting to around 30%. No reason not to.

They say on a long journey it will change fastest between 20-80%. Mine seems not to slow down until 90%.

Also when on a trip you might only need to charge enough to get where your going. I rarely do a long trip.

Soldato
0% APR on all Tesla 3/Y just went live if anyone is interested, that’s on both HP and PCP.

Not an error this time apparently.
Reckon the deals on the Y will only get better, isn't the refresh due shortly. There were some very good deals on the 3 at the end of last year

Soldato
Cars tend to charge quickly up to 50% and then start slowing down. You are usually better off charging twice than you are going past 70-80%. It usually takes a lot longer to charge from 80-100% than it does from 0-80%. That means it’s usually faster to stop twice than it is to do a long charge to a high %.

Plus charging to 100% is hard on the battery, its not something to never do, but its something to think about if you really need to do, if you are making a long trip and can do it without a re-charge stop on 100% then yes, do it, its just one of the factors that put more wear on battery, e.g. fast charging is harder on it than slow charging at home. But best not habbitually get into the habbit of going to 100% each night at home unless you actually need it. Better to have it set to stop at say 90%, run it untill it gets down to about 30-40 percent (may vary depending on how likely you could be required to do a long unexpected journey) and then go back to 90. (and if you are on something like octopus agile also factor in low/neg pricing in when you decide to charge)

Soldato
Reckon the deals on the Y will only get better, isn't the refresh due shortly. There were some very good deals on the 3 at the end of last year
That refresh will remove indicator stalks for buttons on the steering wheel - I’d rather have stalks.

Caporegime
Its labour, so it will no doubt be punishing for everything car, not just ICE, just look at what the councils were like and scale that up nationally, get your bicycles ready!
I have to say getting into Cardiff by car, and parking is an absolute pain now.

They've made the road system anti car and pro bike. But public transport in is so dire.
Also. All the free parking after 6pm spots are gradually being removed.

Living in the suburbs is getting to be the worst of both roads. Hassle getting into town. But not as quiet and peaceful as village life.

I'll genuinely not go in now if I'm on the fence due to hassle and parking charges. It's gotten a lot worse for car owners last 3 years.

Soldato
For 200 a month I'd probably bite! That's insanely cheap

I hate to be ‘that’ guy but it’s not really £200 a month.

It’s employer subsidised and probably costing them >£600. If the car didn’t come with the job, in theory you’d be wanting another £400 gross pay for it to be competitive with roles that do come with cars.

Caporegime

It’s employer subsidised and probably costing them >£600. If the car didn’t come with the job, in theory you’d be wanting another £400 gross pay for it to be competitive with roles that do come with cars.
Yes, there was a discussion earlier in the thread, he's ignoring his car allowance to be quoting £200pm, a quick look back suggests the Tesla was indeed around the £600 mark after tax via SS for him.

Soldato
I’ve just been planning our trip down to Devon with the caravan on the back of the Model Y, just over 300 miles.

ABRP suggests 5:45 towing plus 52 mins charging in 2 stops. I’ve got ABRP set to be a bit pessimistic so hopefully it will be less than that.

I’d probably end up 2 stopping on a near 6 hour drive anyway and practically its coving lunch so one of them will be slightly longer. Granted I wouldn’t normally need 2 80% charges so it will be adding ~30mins which includes hitching and unhitching time over an ICE car.

Not terrible, could be better. A Model Y with a 100kwh pack could easily 1 stop it if such a thing existed. ABRP thinks I’ll use 157kwh on the trip.

I think a Fisker Ocean with the 100 pack could one stop it now, just.

Soldato
I have to say getting into Cardiff by car, and parking is an absolute pain now.

They've made the road system anti car and pro bike. But public transport in is so dire.
Also. All the free parking after 6pm spots are gradually being removed.

Living in the suburbs is getting to be the worst of both roads. Hassle getting into town. But not as quiet and peaceful as village life.

I'll genuinely not go in now if I'm on the fence due to hassle and parking charges. It's gotten a lot worse for car owners last 3 years.
Not been to Cardiff since 2017 but quite an unlucky city for me regarding driving. In all my many years of driving, covering many many miles, I've only be ticketed for two driving offences. Both times in Cardiff and both times while there trying to find a client I was going to for the first time. Dunno if unlucky or the place is rigged :D to catch as many as possible, especially those who don't know the place well. Last time I accidently pulled into a bus lane that I couldn't get out of as it then curved off to the left and the other lane was for buses going in other direction. Looked up and there it was, a camera looking down on my silly mistake. Prior to that it was a gatso somewhere, back in 2005 I think.
I like the place but wouldn't be too excited to go back there again to meet a client

Last edited:
Caporegime

Ah yeah that makes more sense.
It did seem too good to be true.

Caporegime
This is what I would get with sal-sac work scheme for a model 3

No deposit, 5000 free charging (would probably be useless to me), 24 months, 5000 miles.

No thanks!
That's the price after sal-sac!

FQWJyYS.jpeg

Caporegime
Not been to Cardiff since 2017 but quite an unlucky city for me regarding driving. In all my many years of driving, covering many many miles, I've only be ticketed for two driving offences. Both times in Cardiff and both times while there trying to find a client I was going to for the first time. Dunno if unlucky or the place is rigged :D to catch as many as possible, especially those who don't know the place well. Last time I accidently pulled into a bus lane that I couldn't get out of as it then curved off to the left and the other lane was for buses going in other direction. Looked up and there it was, a camera looking down on my silly mistake. Prior to that it was a gatso somewhere, back in 2005 I think.
I like the place but wouldn't be too excited to go back there again to meet a client

Its crazy now. It's probably great if you're a cyclist and live close. But as a car driver it is very anti car.

2 years ago it would take me 20 mins to get into town, parked and 1 pound for parking all day after 6. No traffic as it was straight in.

Now it's 30+ (traffic dependant) and 3 per hour 24 hours a day charging.

All the central car parks are on a new one way system so traffic gets thick. I've been waiting 30mins for the last half mile on busy day. So now I park out of city centre and walk in. But it's become a chore. After work you're talking 1.5 hours walking+car of travel time where before it was 50 mins. It's just not appealing to go to social events anymore unless it's worth it.

Here's an example... Old route.. Right now.

LH58XFf.jpeg

New route
3xp74GA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom