When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Depends if you want to try and nab one of the PREMIÈRE ÉDITION launch models I guess. Less than 2000 of those will be released.

I'd say they'd be lucky to sell 2000 full stop, 200 tops in the UK.

It's a sporty R5, it's not going to be cheap, it's stats aren't the best, for a car trying to be sporty there is going to have to be something amazing about it to sell well and for the most part it seems all wrong, it's a low-ish range tepid front wheel drive hatchback, not many jumping around for one of those. In the age where motors can be anywhere you'd at least think Alpine would have engineered it to be RWD, but no, make it look sporty add a speaker, some stickers etc, it's a French 500e.

I do like it though, its the right size for me, will 220bhp feel enough to out pace my current tepid front wheel drive hatchback, probably not, it'll be ~50bhp/ton down due to weight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mood hoover! New car excitment should not be sniffed at. I havent seen the prices yet?

b0rn2sk8 =

d50749797714a6c79cc24b101ba5e43d.jpg

Call me old fashioned but I don’t know why you would pre order one when you don’t even know the price!

I guess if it’s fully refundable, you can always back out…

Soldato
I'm not sure I'd call sub 7s 0 - 60 "tepid" although I still hark back to the OG Golf GTi as justification that a hot hatch doesn't need to be rocket ship fast. It just needs to have a bit more poke than the vanilla version and be a hoot to throw around. It's that final point, and the eventual price, that I'll be keeping an eye on.

Not that I can see myself ever owning one of course.

Associate
Just to update the thread with my feedback on my Nissan Ariya so far :

Currently averaging 3.4 miles per kWh, which has been mostly motorway driving at 70mph.

This gives a theoretical range of 295 miles at the current climate.

Have also switched my electrical tariff to octopus intelligent go , which provides cheap rates from 11.30pm at 7p per kWh.

This translates into 2p per mile cost of running the car, which is really cheap motoring.

nam

nam

Soldato
No Blade battery and only 50kw on that A290 , even with the best management this will be no better than the stellantis 50kw models now which are poor for range :(

Soldato
Yeah it’s a bit of a relic dressed up in a new party frock.
Think people are missing the point a bit as it’s not really trying to be the bees knees. The base Renault 5 at least is trying to be a cheap runaround. Not sure there’s much point in an Alpine version mind you but they must think there’s money to be made…

Soldato
and people said I was doom and gloom about it :p

One thing I think we can be certain of is it will probably not buck the EV trend and have a list price which is way too high for what it is.

Soldato
thought it was less than 1500kg so it can potentially go around a corner,
classic r5 & 205 were fwd, even the modern 1 series, and besides modern ice+bev rwd's with dsc/traction control bit fly by wire too;

Is the new capri rwd.

Soldato
and people said I was doom and gloom about it :p

One thing I think we can be certain of is it will probably not buck the EV trend and have a list price which is way too high for what it is.
They say under 25k for the Renault but obviously Alpine will be more

It would be a very tough sell at 30-35k

Last edited:
Soldato
when 1st announced I think there was chat of £22k. anything above 25k I think will be a tough sell if it goes into MG4.territory. I think it's a good looking car but it still needs to be able to get from A to B. personally I am not interested in a car with under 150miles genuine range even as a 2nd car unless the price hugely reflects it.

Last edited:
Soldato
personally I am not interested in a car with under 150miles genuine range even as a 2nd car unless the price hugely reflects it.
Not so long ago I'd have quoted this and stated how our second car could easily have less range than that and how it never even gets close to 100 miles a day on the rarest of occasions...

...then just before going on holiday my Leon decided it would start spewing fuel everywhere and the Polo stepped in and did a valiant effort of the airport run (with a little luggage Tetris before hand).

I guess the real moral of the story here is don't buy a petrol VAG car, or if you do, make sure you have a spare :p

Seriously though it is those random one off things that are nice to have the flexibility to cover with any car.

Soldato
Not so long ago I'd have quoted this and stated how our second car could easily have less range than that and how it never even gets close to 100 miles a day on the rarest of occasions...

...then just before going on holiday my Leon decided it would start spewing fuel everywhere and the Polo stepped in and did a valiant effort of the airport run (with a little luggage Tetris before hand).

I guess the real moral of the story here is don't buy a petrol VAG car, or if you do, make sure you have a spare :p

Seriously though it is those random one off things that are nice to have the flexibility to cover with any car.
as a 2nd car i can live with lower range (the mrs would moan mind you) however my possibly unclear point was............ not for £25k!.

it gets used really rarely (in fact more petrol has been burned just keeping the engine in decent condition) however that is why we have the REX on our i3. 90% of the time it is just doing the 35miles daily commute however every now and then my wife goes on a bit of a road trip, and she is nervous about not being able to find a charge point, as well as unlike me, is not interesting in pre planning on google maps.....

i would not have got a PHEV but given it was the compromise we made, we at least got one which was EV 1st with a winter 90mile range, and then an engine just to be there for emergencies. its a lot of extra complexity to go wrong for a hand ful of times a year issue however, not to mention car tax and lux car tax.

incidently RE your tales of woe... my folks had the same problem coming on holiday with us last month. at the top of their road the suspension on their BMW 2 series failed (probably thanks to our awful potholed roads), however they were able to fall back to my dads 1994 diesel shogun which has not driven more than 10 miles in any one direction (and much of that on fields) for almost 20 years)

Last edited:
Associate
Price will be the key with Alpine and how it drives but you can see with its direct competitor the Mini, these are over 40k specced up, can’t see the highend A290 being cheaper, so this is where it will fall over as the car is a bit comical really, small battery, no range, talk of circuit tools etc but a 106mph top speed would be pointless on most circuits plus the battery just isn’t going to last, it’ll have a slow onboard charger too, so charging near a circuit is going to take much time, really it’s just a fancy marketing tool to drive up margins on a cheap car that will be nothing more than a driveway trinket and no replacement for a similar ICE car.

The i20N for example would be the comparable sized ICE vehicle, similar performance but 300kg lighter, 360 mile range and 142mph top speed.

With respect to the tepid comment, sure its fast enough, the cars I own now aren’t much better but within the scope of a 40k EV you have MG4, BORN, EX30 #1 to name a few all offering 3-400+bhp all much faster in that ballpark, though slightly bigger and heavier.

Soldato

We've a short range small EV that we use 95% of the time. We've only gone beyond it's range once in almost a year. You can do a long trip in an short range EV.

Not entirely sure if it's been inferred otherwise..

We've also got a 2nd car that's petrol. But we took the short range EV over the petrol car for our long trip. I think I've filled the petrol car maybe 2-3 times this year.

That said depending on your use, an ICE might suit you better than an EV. I'm getting tired of fixing mine though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Price will be the key with Alpine and how it drives but you can see with its direct competitor the Mini, these are over 40k specced up, can’t see the highend A290 being cheaper, so this is where it will fall over as the car is a bit comical really, small battery, no range, talk of circuit tools etc but a 106mph top speed would be pointless on most circuits plus the battery just isn’t going to last, it’ll have a slow onboard charger too, so charging near a circuit is going to take much time, really it’s just a fancy marketing tool to drive up margins on a cheap car that will be nothing more than a driveway trinket and no replacement for a similar ICE car.

The i20N for example would be the comparable sized ICE vehicle, similar performance but 300kg lighter, 360 mile range and 142mph top speed.

With respect to the tepid comment, sure its fast enough, the cars I own now aren’t much better but within the scope of a 40k EV you have MG4, BORN, EX30 #1 to name a few all offering 3-400+bhp all much faster in that ballpark, though slightly bigger and heavier.
Spot on at 40k it has no chance

The base R5 car as a 22k runaround reasonable buy

Back
Top Bottom