When are you going fully electric?

And looking to buy an old Audi A5 makes you a 'trust motorist' does it?

I wont be crying in to my cornflakes when i have to pay £10-15k for a new battery because the warranty has run out and the EV has now become worthless on the second hand market

Im only fishing anyway, iv never driven an EV, however, i do think they are damaging the internal combustion engine market, anyone who said they are not are in denial
:)

I didn't say i was only looking for an Audi A5

Its like the people here only approve of BMW M3's or a Seat leon or a Ford :)

Last edited:
I wont be crying in to my cerial when i have to pay £10-15k for a new battery because the warranty has run out and the EV has now become worthless on the second hand market :)
other than horror stories in the press how many people have actually had to do that?

the nissan leaf has the worst battery out of any EV on the road and yet whilst their range may have dropped, most are still working going back to what.... 2011 did they come out?.

my car specifically has been proven to have a flaw in the battery and is in the process of having a recall for a lot of people.......... this sucks balls, no getting away from it, but even then it is a small handful of cells which usually need to be replaced not a full battery.... also i wonder if they will be forced to honour this repair even if out of warranty (I have no idea tbh)

the tesla model Y is the best selling car in the world, and yet its only a handful of stories world wide which have the battery failing on them at the moment. Admittedly they are not 8 years old yet but even so, i highly doubt there will be a sudden surge of batteries fail on 8 years 1 week. ***

*** and now god damn it you made me tempt fate so i fully expect to be posting here in 4.5 years time with a completely failed battery!. ;)

i have had to replace expensive turbos, head gaskets, gear boxes and one car i had even had to have a new engine (thankfully i didnt have to pay for that)......

Last edited:
other than horror stories in the press how many people have actually had to do that?

the nissan leaf has the worst battery out of any EV on the road and yet whilst their range may have dropped, most are still working going back to what.... 2011 did they come out?.

my car specifically has been proven to have a flaw in the battery and is in the process of having a recall for a lot of people.......... this sucks balls, no getting away from it, but even then it is a small handful of cells which usually need to be replaced not a full battery.... also i wonder if they will be forced to honour this repair even if out of warranty (I have no idea tbh)

the tesla model Y is the best selling car in the world, and yet its only a handful of stories world wide which have the battery failing on them at the moment. Admittedly they are not 8 years old yet but even so, i highly doubt there will be a sudden surge of batteries fail on 8 years 1 week. ***

*** and now god damn it you made me tempt fate so i fully expect to be posting here in 4.5 years time with a completely failed battery!. ;)

But then the whole EV thing assumes i want to spend £25-30k on a car,

I don't :)

Not when the depreciation of the value of cars, is quite substantial.

Last edited:
I wont be crying in to my cornflakes when i have to pay £10-15k for a new battery because the warranty has run out and the EV has now become worthless on the second hand market

Im only fishing anyway, iv never driven an EV, however, i do think they are damaging the internal combustion engine market, anyone who said they are not are in denial
Well mine has a warranty that covers the battery and drive units for 8 years or until it hits 120k miles. Plenty of EVs on the road with over 200k miles and still going, so you can keep your cornflakes.

Of course they are damaging the internal combustion engine market, not sure what your point is?

Last edited:
however, i do think they are damaging the internal combustion engine market, anyone who said they are not are in denial
of course they are and that is by design, they are less damaging to the environment, better performance, more reliable, quieter, less resource intensive (over the life of the car). They are hurting the ICE market because they are already a better solution for many people and long term should be a better solution for almost everyone.

the only snag is they do need an infrastructure which is still evolving, as a newer technology mechanics are still getting up to speed on them and they have a lot of the generally right wing press spreading FUD against them.

EVs as a newer tech are only going to get better as well....... ICE vehicles have had over a century of improvments so they are likely close to as good as they are gonna get. this isnt the case for EVs

Last edited:
You do realise that's the whole point... right? :confused:

Do you know how they make electricity this country ? (the majority of electricity production) is not provided by Solar, wind, or wave

It's by damaging the environment

Hailing EV's and taking away reliable transport methods are not the answer. Not when all its about is new technology being profiteered on , and this is pretty much all its about, at this point. Not about saving the planet

Last edited:
But then the whole EV thing assumes i want to spend £25-30k on a car,

I don't :)

Not when the depreciation of the value of cars, is quite substantial.
you can get a long range Eniro for under £15k now, a model 3 for under £20k easily. i agree there is less choice on the 2nd hand market at the moment if you want a practical long range car, such is the way of new tech..... but it is getting there!.

A significant proportion of the electricity generated in this country is from renewable sources.

The majority of the electricity in this country is produced by burning small wooden pellets, I was in the understanding of

Solar, wind, wave technology does have some percentage, but its not the majority. Infact, im pretty sure that the UK has not put enough efforts in to wave technology, Solar is unreliable especially in the winter times and im pretty sure that they did a study on windfarms, especially off shore , where they have not deployed enough coverage to make a big dent in production.

Why do you think we import a lot of electricity ?

Last edited:
Do you know how they make electricity this country ? (the majority of electricity production) is not provided by Solar, wind, or wave

Hailing EV's and taking away reliable transport methods are not the answer.
this is just nonsense.

it has been shown that even if all our electricity was made from gas (I want to say coal but i am not 100% on that) an EV is still a more efficient way to power a car.

however this isnt the case anyway. half of our electricity is generated from renewable wind, solar and tidal.... that number should only go up going forward... then we have 10% nuclear, which has issues and naysayers but its better than using coal as a backbone imo.

today at time of posting (11:30am) is an especially bad clean energy production day, but even so we are still only using 38% fossil fuels.

live data here

bear in mind most of us charge our cars over night when the grid is in lower demand so more likely to be clean as well.

The majority of the electricity in this country is produced by burning small wooden pellets, I was in the understanding of

Solar, wind, wave technology does have some percentage, but its not the majority.
you are mistaken. like i said today is a really bad green production day, but the thing is........ going forward that percentage should only go up.

right now biomass is about 7%, gas 37% and coal 1.5%

Last edited:

Hailing EV's and taking away reliable transport methods are not the answer. Not when all its about is new technology being profiteered on , and this is pretty much all its about, at this point. Not about saving the planet
You do know there is only one coal power station still in service and it's due to shut down fairly soon.

Much of our energy alrewdy comes from renewable sources.
I thought the first electric car was before the first internal combustion engine powered car?
Yes that is correct.

The same as any other form of transport then? As @bigmike20vt has already pointed out - your EV can be powered by the sun, which is a hell of a lot less damaging than burning petrol/diesel.

Besides, they are nicer to drive, quieter, don't stink, more convenient. Even ignoring the environmental angle, they are objectively better for most* peoples' use

We haven't had reliable transport methods for decades :cry:

* I'm not going to try and argue they are better for everyone, because that's just not true, but for your average family car which spends 99% of its use commuting/nipping to the shops/taking the kids to school/2-3 family holidays a year, they beat an ICE hands down.

Where? There is no debate. You're just wrong.

P.S - Anyone want to spec me an EV for under £12k? not a nissan leaf

Im pretty sure i was actually looking at an EV or it may have been a hybrid, i think the year or the car was maybe 2018 or 2019, i asked about on the internet, i was told - avoid - avoid avoid - - you wont get good range from the battery on a 4 or 5 year old battery

what is the point in this then if you have to have a battery barely a couple of years old ? Why was i told to avoid a 4-5 year old battery ? And before people ask what this car was. This was a BMW 330e.

I believe the exact words of the internet was,

"4-5 year old battery, it wont have any range, and it will be a useless weight on the road"

Last edited:
P.S - Anyone want to spec me an EV for under £12k? not a nissan leaf
you are probably looking at an ionic , hopefully a facelifted one, nicer and with better range.

kick in another couple of grand however and your options really open up. (e Niro, Kona, corsa E, i3, bigger battery zoe etc)

as for your comment about people on the internet told you your battery is knackered after 4 or 5 years......................

you really need to talk to different people on the internet..

the only EV this is slightly true on would be the very 1st nissan leaf and even then they are not that bad.

I have on my drive (or would have if the mrs wasnt in work) a 2018 bmw i3. it still manages well over 110 miles in summer on battery - about 90 miles in winter.

this is the middle sized battery car. i dare say it isnt much different from new. ours has the petrol engine in it as well. i wish it didnt howerver. it added loads to the cost, hurts the range, adds more to go wrong and we have to run the damn engine now and then to keep it in good condition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom