When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I had meant ID.4 clone but yes, the ID.7 is pretty nice. Ford Mondeo revival anyone?

My dislike of the Enyaq is the styling mainly, the fake grill, it just looks cheap IMO. It's not as bad as the BMW iX nose but its not that far off either.
But what about if you get that grille lit up with LEDs? :D

Man of Honour
Finally got everything sorted. Had my OHME Home Pro installed yesterday and switched to Intelligent Go today. I have a app for the car (Nissan Connect) then you need a app for the OHME charger which overrides the Nissan app then the Octopus app overrides them both. I've never had so many apps on my phone!! The off peak on Intelligent Go is great but that damn standing charge is still stuck at almost 60p per day!!

Soldato
Good stuff, the 60p thing is a Scotland issue, it’s got high local distribution costs thanks to all those highland and island properties.

Just on the apps, the Ohme charger can’t overide the Nissan car, there isn’t any communication between the two. For example, if you get a schedule in the car to charge at 11, and the charger to start at 9, the car will not start charging until 11.

With IO you are seeding control of the charger to Octopus in return for better rates. When you do this, you have to set the car to charge whenever it’s given power (e.g. no schedule) and then Octopus handles the rest per how you tell it to charge in their app.

You can basically ignore the Ohme app unless it stops working. Use the Nissan app for everything else other than charging.

The octopus app is pretty good for monitoring g energy use from your smart meter. You can also ask for a ‘home mini’ which will give you real time use in their app.

Associate
Visited my local Hyundai dealer on the 2nd of June. Initial conversations went well but no Hyundai Ioniq 5 N as a demo. Was advised that one was on the way and would be there in a few weeks.

Had various conversations about what’s currently in stock and how I’d like to pay for it until the 7th of June.

Then all went quiet. Thought I’d wait as I’d expect them to contact me. Nothing from them for weeks. Reached out to them on the 8th July, heard nothing until this morning but then they let me know there’s no demo coming and I should contact Hyundai UK.

Amazed at the level of customer service for a car costing what it does.

Had the same experience with the local MB dealer when I was looking for my current car. This is before they have even taken any money so dread to think of how things would be handled once they have the money

Really gutted as had high hopes.

Soldato
Bit the bullet and just ordered a Renault Scenic E-Tech Iconic as below, should be arriving for September.

Whats-App-Image-2024-06-05-at-13-14-55-f7d4b10a.jpg

Soldato
Visited my local Hyundai dealer on the 2nd of June. Initial conversations went well but no Hyundai Ioniq 5 N as a demo. Was advised that one was on the way and would be there in a few weeks.

Had various conversations about what’s currently in stock and how I’d like to pay for it until the 7th of June.

Then all went quiet. Thought I’d wait as I’d expect them to contact me. Nothing from them for weeks. Reached out to them on the 8th July, heard nothing until this morning but then they let me know there’s no demo coming and I should contact Hyundai UK.

Had the same experience with the local MB dealer when I was looking for my current car. This is before they have even taken any money so dread to think of how things would be handled once they have the money

Unfortunately that is just a sign of the times. Twenty years ago I worked in electrical retail sales. If you wanted a new washing machine most people would head to a store and talk to someone about their requirements. They would then advise you of what would be best (if you spoke to someone like me) or guided you towards the one with the highest markup to improve their sales figures (if you spoke to one of the lifers). Fast forward 20 years and everyone jumps straight to the internet, gets the product cheaper and the chain I worked disappeared a decade ago.

Unfortunately the same now applies for cars. Questions like "how much will it cost me per month?" and "will it get to me before my current car has to go back?" can be answered autonomously and therefore the main dealers are more like fulfilment centres than offering any real service.

Man of Honour
Good stuff, the 60p thing is a Scotland issue, it’s got high local distribution costs thanks to all those highland and island properties.

Just on the apps, the Ohme charger can’t overide the Nissan car, there isn’t any communication between the two. For example, if you get a schedule in the car to charge at 11, and the charger to start at 9, the car will not start charging until 11.

With IO you are seeding control of the charger to Octopus in return for better rates. When you do this, you have to set the car to charge whenever it’s given power (e.g. no schedule) and then Octopus handles the rest per how you tell it to charge in their app.

You can basically ignore the Ohme app unless it stops working. Use the Nissan app for everything else other than charging.

The octopus app is pretty good for monitoring g energy use from your smart meter. You can also ask for a ‘home mini’ which will give you real time use in their app.

That explains what happened last night then. I set the app to start charging at 11.30 but it only started at 00.30 and very slowly, 1.4kw. It also charged to 100% when I actually set it to 80% for some reason. I had a play in the car settings this morning and found it was set to charge at 3kw which is now set to 6kw. I didn't change the charge timer either so that explains why it didn't start until 00.30. I will disable the charge schedule now though. The Octopus app just opens the OHME app for charging, something to do with the Octopus app being in beta.

The SC here really winds me up. We aren't even in the Highlands and Islands yet we get lumped in with them. We have three massive wind farms we can see from our house yet despite the promises of clean cheap energy we have some of the highest rates in the country. The new government needs to decouple the price of electricity from gas to make any significant reduction in costs per kWh.

Soldato

Took my Ioniq 5 for its TB checks last week and they had 2 5Ns in the show room. They also have a demo that was at the Richmond dealership for a demo. They had a white 5N and an orange/red one that looked great, looked better in the metal than I thought. Once I get time I'll see if I can book a test drive.

Soldato
I see pre-orders are open for the Alpine A290; refundable £250 deposit to join the queue (no word on final prices yet) but it looks incredibly tempting…
Love the design of the Alpine A290 but I have a feeling it’ll be priced ~£40,000 at which point it’s probably not really competitive against cars like the Tesla model 3, etc.

If anything I suspect the base model Renault 5 at £25-30k will make much more sense than paying extra for a tarted up variant.

I still kind of want one though because it looks fantastic!

S6zqXaZnGyof1WN93lC0pihHCuvy3b2C4dnWeUFhU9g.jpg

images

Last edited:
Soldato
Kona's are a good purchase, I got one for £16500 in Jan, now going for around £14500 !

How much lower can they go? :)

WBAC offered £8k plus change for my 2021 64kWh Premium SE......but I have done 108k miles :D

They are a bargain. I love mine.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m looking for a new car for the wife as her 16 year old Jazz is becoming a liability.

I wanted to get a reasonably priced petrol car, mid sized family hatch but prices are so high for new and second hand.

Some great deals on 1 year old electrics are popping up all over the place.

Will be looking at a MG4 SE for around £16K on Sunday to go with the Tesla model 3.

Which is ironic as I was considering the MG4 Xpower but it didn’t quite have the range I needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m looking for a new car for the wife as her 16 year old Jazz is becoming a liability.

I wanted to get a reasonably priced petrol car, mid sized family hatch but prices are so high for new and second hand.

Some great deals on 1 year old electrics are popping up all over the place.

Will be looking at a MG4 SE for around £16K on Sunday to go with the Tesla model 3.

Which is ironic as I was considering the MG4 Xpower but it didn’t quite have the range I needed.

Do you need the range? If so Tesla is the way to go

Man of Honour
I am getting the hang of driving the Leaf now and started using the E-pedal yesterday. The way the chap in the showroom described it I was rather wary of trying it out but thought what the hell and turned it on yesterday and I wish I had used it sooner. It's a great feature and very easy to adapt to. After driving manual gearbox cars with a engine for all of my life I was getting caught out by having no gearstick and only two pedals and initially was going for a pedal and stick that were'nt there but now I am driving only using a single pedal. As I have gotten used to the car my mileage/kw has steadily increased and I am up to 4.06m/kw on mainly A roads doing 55-60mph with a little town driving thrown in as well.

Back
Top Bottom