When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
More aluminium in structural use of a car bodes well for sustainability as well. Aluminium is easily more recyclable than steel and having a smelting temp of 800c is so much better than a furnace temp of 2000c.

Its terrible for production equivalent CO2 hence a lot of companies moving back to steel at the expense of weight! Hydrogen will make a big different here when use for cars... the body structure steel though rather than energy. Temperate doesnt matter if you are mining tonnes and tonnes of bauxite to make aluminium alloys. Its energy that counts.

Soldato
It’s terrible for production equivalent CO2 hence a lot of companies moving back to steel at the expense of weight! Hydrogen will make a big different here when use for cars... the body structure steel though rather than energy. Temperate doesnt matter if you are mining tonnes and tonnes of bauxite to make aluminium alloys. It’s energy that counts.
Isn’t aluminium alloy much more forgiving in terms of recycling?

Soldato
nonetheless you're not going to be gigacasting steel, with the high component integration that yields - different metals for different chassis components.

Soldato
I can see that fad dropping soon with insurance group ratings. You mean body part rather than chassis anyways.

There’s a reason tailored blanks of steels are used and it’s not cos Sandy Munroe and some crackpot South African thought they had a better idea.

It’s called casting. Giga is marketing term you have soaked up like a good little YouTube armchair Jedi.

Soldato
I missed this when it happened a few months back

The daily mail were forced to admit they lied about a report into our roads, claiming it was blaming EVs as the cause.

obviously they did a tiny retraction however it is about time when "news" media are proven to be making stuff up they have the book thrown at them with a fine which actually hurts them.

Soldato
I missed this when it happened a few months back

The daily mail were forced to admit they lied about a report into our roads, claiming it was blaming EVs as the cause.

obviously they did a tiny retraction however it is about time when "news" media are proven to be making stuff up they have the book thrown at them with a fine which actually hurts them.

Why would anyone believe what the Mail writes anyway, it is only a right wing rag not even fit for toilet paper and the motoring world has not been the only victim of their lack of truth..

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would anyone believe what the Mail writes anyway, it is only a right wing rag not even fit for toilet paper and the motoring world has not been the only victim of their lack of truth..
i agree......... but people do... my parents are text book examples.

I am not totally naive and i accept that all media has a bias, its written by humans and we ALL have bias, be it conscious or not .. and it would be a pretty dull read even if it was purely 100% objective with no take on anything .

however there is a difference between a bit of bias trying to sway to reader slightly to one direction or an other vs spouting utter nonsense, and that i think is totally unacceptable, and that is what i would love to see clamped down on.

Freedom of the press is all well and good, but that should not be freedom to print what ever you want with no repercussions if it is made up.

At least the daily sport are fairly transparent about it ! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Media sells click bait, doesn't care if it's accurate or damaging. Its had a hugely negative effect on EV sales and adoption.

Govt and manufacturing have let disinformation rampage unchecked. So they only themselves to blame. That said UK is ahead in many other places in EV adoption and infrastructure. Bottle half full.

Man of Honour
Seems to me like the infrastructure needs a lot of work - was in a car dealer and people were coming in off the A303 and saying both the nearby Osprey and InstaVolt chargers weren't working but there were already people using the dealer's chargers who'd just left their cars for awhile.

Soldato
When I last really looked into electric cars about 2 years ago the car itself was already just about right in terms of performance and expected life span.

The major concern was the charging infrastructure and with both the stories of chargers not working or not being compatible with the car as well as the chargers being full and having to wait for some time before you can have your 30-40 minute top up.

It seems daft to reject something that would probably impact on less than 1% of my journeys but generally the longer trips are when you want to get somewhere to do something at a reasonable time. I would have been fine to work and back, nearly all the trips at the weekend but then potentially be stuck on a trip to the Welsh coast or on the way to France.

What I want to see is more electric charging points in place so that there is much less or no waiting to be sure of getting your charge. We need more sites like the Tesla supercharger sites with many more chargers. My local motorway services has only 8 Tesla chargers and 6 other chargers of which only 4 are fast! Against 16 petrol pumps. If the EV revolution is coming and it takes 30 minutes to get a good top up against a 5 minute petrol top up then you could need 96 chargers to keep everyone moving.

The last kicker with the car was the purchase cost. I was looking at the MG ZS EV with a large sunroof that is important for me but was going to cost £33495 with no discount available against a new petrol one with metallic paint that cost £19300 for one that was coming into stock. That is pretty much 20 years of petrol! I am a bit more comfortable having the manual gearbox and normal hand break as well although there is a lot of electrics. Boring cars I know but there are limited choices when on a budget to get back seats that are easy for less mobile to use and now a baby as well!

Soldato
Charging infrastructures are pretty decent really. Along the motorways there are always plenty chargers.

One thing need to change is destination chargers. There needs to be more local slower destination chargers in hotels/supermarkets/street lamps etc.

Anyway I have never found issues so far, we have been using our car for london to Pembroke a number a times over the last 18months.

Man of Honour

But there doesn't seem to be much joined up thinking and at least around here it isn't uncommon for there to be problems with them or they randomly disappear or are present on Google, Zap, etc. but the actual electrical side of the infrastructure isn't there for months or years or doesn't get hooked up.

The dealer I mentioned above had marked out bays and appeared on Google even showing 2/2 available for 2-3 years before any hardware was actually installed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Must be more than that. Am sure over the last year the amount doubled.

There must be a lot of home chargers as this is the current public charger total.
At the end of June 2024, there were 64,775 electric vehicle charging points across the UK, across 33,829 charging locations. This represents a year-on-year increase of 46% in the number of public devices, with 20,367 installed since June 2023.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom