When are you going fully electric?

That was true a few years back and I was quite vocal that the infrastructure here was terrible. Though it has massively improved over the past year. I was up the north coast recently in Ballycastle and there were four chargers in the Salthouse hotel open to the public (1x 68kWh rapid). There were two 150kWh rapid chargers in the main town as well. So 6 in one small town in the north coast. Zapmap shows 16 in Portrush (2x 150kWh rapids) 14 in Coleraine (2x 150kWh rapids).

Not great but certainly ample compared to only a few years ago.

lJRISvrh.jpg
Didn't think these came in manual?

Last edited:
A properly put together granny charger will have a temperature sensor in the wall plug, so that the charge can be cut off if the plug or socket starts to dangerously overheat. That typically makes the plug itself bigger, and some IP rated sockets can't accomodate it.

It's also one reason why using an extension lead with a granny charger is generally not recommended as it potentially defeats that safety feature.
They have a whole box of gubbins before the car itself. Mine even has an LCD screen.

About £250 from Screwfix IIRC

Coleraine m8 think there is 6 or 7 chargers in the hole area mybe 3 or 4 in portrush
If you can install a charger at home you don't need chargers close to where you live. You would need them if you were on a long trip away from home.

The issue of course is that situation is still not ideal for those outside big cities who don't live in a place where they can get charging at home, in which case you definitely want to wait

Follow up to this - Turbo S, 21" wheels w/Carbon Blades, Ceramic Brakes, Rear steering, Adaptive Suspension (PASM), handily had the 5th optional seat.

Amazing machine, steering is great, ride good thanks to triple chamber air springs : covers ground as expected and i live the drive mode easy adjust dial, Sport or Sport Plus lowers the car, frankly too low for B roads. 760bhp in Sport Plus and launch control. With the sound inside and external along with the gearchange it really offers a driving experience. What a car.

xvRd5UFh.jpg

CL1jV88h.jpg

kvxXGMMh.jpg

FNzGRW2h.jpg

GFrCnKEh.jpg

9oVaiL5h.jpg

467yT3Ih.jpg

yNaWehRh.jpg

CRpT62Uh.jpg

MhLnrLyh.jpg

lJRISvrh.jpg

3D5munAh.jpg
I mean..... I guess it's "ok!"

(not jealous at all :D. )

The one time I was in a Taycan Cross I was suitably impressed at the quality and premium feel. I do love my I-Pace but the Taycan was in another league. Jaguar are attempting to rebrand as more premium, they have their work cut out and I think they will fail.

I found that the biggest problem with home installs is the cost of the charger and the cost of installation. My Ohme Home Pro charger cost me £545.60 plus vat and installation was £330 plus vat with a few other bits thrown in it brought my total to £801.99 after the OZEV grant was applied. For a small box on a wall £545.60 plus vat seems rather excessive and my install was probably the simplest it can be as my charger is on the other side of the wall from my consumer unit so it only took him 35 minutes and this was the cheapest quote I got!! I know it will pay for itself in around a year and a half but I detest rip off charges.
I was lucky, bought a C4 Electric from Arnold Clark which included fitting the charger at my home, £499 all in, had it since March and I love it. Took them 1hr to complete and very tidy job. Saving a fortune as well.

. Jaguar are attempting to rebrand as more premium, they have their work cut out and I think they will fail.
I must admit I am surprised they are going in this way, I wonder what this will mean for all the franchises and staff.

on one hand I doubt they will need as many , but on the other hand they will still be expected to service all their existing customers which will mean keeping local service points.

it's a shame from my perspective. I really like my ipace but it will likely be my 1st and last Jag . I am not a supercar salary kind of guy and even with current levels of depreciation - which I believe will settle down - but even if not it will be a long time before 6 figure costing cars hit my price bracket

and if I were to win the lottery and want to go silly ......... I would likely go for one of the established super car brands (yellow lambo all the way ;) )

it is unlikely most of the existing customers, some of whom have bought multiple jags will be happy to double their spending on the new wave of cars so Jag needs to build a whole new fan base.

having (semi) affordable cars with some bat s.... crazy halo cars seems more sensible to me. Honda mercedes, Audi, alfa, BMW and even fiat in the past (thinking about it almost all car.companies have at dome time had an ultra high end low volume car) do this and I think it makes more sense.

but hell what do I know, I am a biochemist, hopefully jaguar have done their homework and know what they are doing.

back on topic.... the ipace when it launched was so far ahead of it's rivals. sure there was the model S but that was it.

and even the model S, take away it's free lifetime charging I think few would try to argue against the ipace being a much better built car than the model S......

However...... I still really like mine but I think it is fair to say for £70k it just has not kept up with the times.

sure it had an infotainment tweak, better AC charging and a few fixes to improve reliability .... but it's essentially the same car from 2018 and given the pace of improvements from everyone else, it is no wonder sales have tanked a bit.

combine that with the well advertised customer care issues (which I must say I never experienced, but then my niggles with the car were minor) and the well documented announcement that the car was being shelved which surely would put some new car buyers off, and I think the ipace never really had a chance in this last 12 months or so.

the fact the car still remotely holds it's own shows how much of a belter jaguar had on their hands when it came out. such a shame really that they didn't give it the face lift it deserves to keep it relevant

Last edited:
There’s nothing to wonder about. Half the dealers are going, it’s been in the news.

Let’s be honest the Jaguar affectionates in the main won’t be alive in 10 years so that’s the whole idea of a fresh customer base

Last edited:
There’s nothing to wonder about. Half the dealers are going, it’s been in the news.

Let’s be honest the Jaguar affectionates in the main won’t be alive in 10 years so that’s the whole idea of a fresh customer base
bummer...... that sucks... i hope your job is ok. So i guess that means that existing customers are going to find it even harder to get their cars repaired under warranty etc.

as for the news.... i genuinely hadnt seen it mentioned, tho to be fair i get most of my news from BBC online and dont look in the automotive section. given all the stuff going on i doubt jaguar would make the front pages for better or for worse.

Last edited:
you don't think they'll review the business model - I thought jag were reducing dealers cuts, adopting their eu strategy, through this direct sales model like tesla, or mercedes online sales;
personally I think lack of dealers & service centres contributes to teslas&polestars undesirability in 2nd hand market.
it's not like buying stuff from Amazon, need presence on the high street.

I mean - when they moved the bmw cambridge garage to the backside of beyond Cambourne - that ****** me off.

you don't think they'll review the business model - I thought jag were reducing dealers cuts, adopting their eu strategy, through this direct sales model like tesla, or mercedes online sales;
personally I think lack of dealers & service centres contributes to teslas&polestars undesirability in 2nd hand market.
it's not like buying stuff from Amazon, need presence on the high street.

I mean - when they moved the bmw cambridge garage to the backside of beyond Cambourne - that ****** me off.
I used to think the same but watching a colleagues Model S get fixed in the work car park by someone who knows what they are doing and has all the right parts with them looked like a dream compared to my latest dealings with the local Seat dealer.

Local VW dealer used to be ok, now a POS. Local Skoda dealer were OK a decade ago but I'm not hearing great things now. Travel for rubbish service or have good service arrive at your door? Easy choice for me.

long term this should be less of an issue as we get more HEVRA garages. Hopefully Jaguar will be open to supporting independent garages learn their vehicles to work on them. (perhaps they do already i have no idea!!!) i may need to find out sooner rather than later if marshalls Jaguar Cambridge closes!. (hopefully they wont as its landrover as well and its a major city showroom)

long term this should be less of an issue as we get more HEVRA garages. Hopefully Jaguar will be open to supporting independent garages learn their vehicles to work on them. (perhaps they do already i have no idea!!!) i may need to find out sooner rather than later if marshalls Jaguar Cambridge closes!. (hopefully they wont as its landrover as well and its a major city showroom)
The Land Rover part will still take care of Jaguar servicing, wouldn't worry about that. Indie garages is a different issue entirely and not sure it's going to be quite so smooth

If you have a compatible car/charger, yes.

Eon Drive Next is the alternative for me. No compatible car/charger needed but the day rate is slightly more I think and you get 7 hours fixed at 7p.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom