When are you going fully electric?

Associate
I have noticed a huge increase in the amount of charging locations that are appearing on my trips around the country.
I used to only go to specific charge points (as they were the only ones), but now I have multiple charge points and this has almost eradicated my range anxiety.

Soldato
But there doesn't seem to be much joined up thinking and at least around here it isn't uncommon for there to be problems with them or they randomly disappear or are present on Google, Zap, etc. but the actual electrical side of the infrastructure isn't there for months or years or doesn't get hooked up.

The dealer I mentioned above had marked out bays and appeared on Google even showing 2/2 available for 2-3 years before any hardware was actually installed.
There is no joined up thinking and grid delays are a major issue. Operators get sites off landlords but can't get power etc.

Soldato
It is effectively a scaled deployment of large capital projects - you don't wait until everything is perfect before you start breaking ground. The Google mislabel is a Google issue, nothing to do with the charging companies.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, the pace of charger installation is quite something to behold - there's more to do, of course, but even compared with a couple of years ago there are so many more rapid charging hubs dotted around.

Man of Honour
I found that the biggest problem with home installs is the cost of the charger and the cost of installation. My Ohme Home Pro charger cost me £545.60 plus vat and installation was £330 plus vat with a few other bits thrown in it brought my total to £801.99 after the OZEV grant was applied. For a small box on a wall £545.60 plus vat seems rather excessive and my install was probably the simplest it can be as my charger is on the other side of the wall from my consumer unit so it only took him 35 minutes and this was the cheapest quote I got!! I know it will pay for itself in around a year and a half but I detest rip off charges.

Associate
If Im going to charge over night anyway outside of saving some money on the super cheap timings is there anything wrong with just charging from a 3pin plug socket to top back up every night.

Associate
If Im going to charge over night anyway outside of saving some money on the super cheap timings is there anything wrong with just charging from a 3pin plug socket to top back up every night.

Just lower the current rating - anything below 10 amps should keep the plug cool but the lower the better.

Soldato
it depends how good your home electronics are, as well as if the cheap period is long enough to get enough juice into your car at around what.... 2.4kw (at a guess)

so 6hrs if you are on intelligent octopus you can only get around 12kwh into your car battery (allowing for losses) per day on cheap electricity. (of course you would likely also get a bunch of bonus slots too)

Soldato
I’ve got a Taycan Turbo S this weekend too… holy moly.

Follow up to this - Turbo S, 21" wheels w/Carbon Blades, Ceramic Brakes, Rear steering, Adaptive Suspension (PASM), handily had the 5th optional seat.

Amazing machine, steering is great, ride good thanks to triple chamber air springs : covers ground as expected and i live the drive mode easy adjust dial, Sport or Sport Plus lowers the car, frankly too low for B roads. 760bhp in Sport Plus and launch control. With the sound inside and external along with the gearchange it really offers a driving experience. What a car.

xvRd5UFh.jpg

CL1jV88h.jpg

kvxXGMMh.jpg

FNzGRW2h.jpg

GFrCnKEh.jpg

9oVaiL5h.jpg

467yT3Ih.jpg

yNaWehRh.jpg

CRpT62Uh.jpg

MhLnrLyh.jpg

lJRISvrh.jpg

3D5munAh.jpg

Associate

I charge mine up from a 3 pin plug and never had an issue. Originally it was just on one of the sockets in my garage but Masterplug do an IP rated outdoor socket specifically designed for charging EV's, was about £50.

Might all be marketing bumf and any old IP rated socket would be the same, but gave some peace of mind.

I only drive 25-30 miles per week, tend to charge it up Friday night and again Saturday night (talking about 12 hours per night) and that gets me through until the following Friday with about 25% battery remaining.

Associate
Might all be marketing bumf and any old IP rated socket would be the same, but gave some peace of mind.
A properly put together granny charger will have a temperature sensor in the wall plug, so that the charge can be cut off if the plug or socket starts to dangerously overheat. That typically makes the plug itself bigger, and some IP rated sockets can't accomodate it.

It's also one reason why using an extension lead with a granny charger is generally not recommended as it potentially defeats that safety feature.

Soldato
Follow up to this - Turbo S, 21" wheels w/Carbon Blades, Ceramic Brakes, Rear steering, Adaptive Suspension (PASM), handily had the 5th optional seat.

Amazing machine, steering is great, ride good thanks to triple chamber air springs : covers ground as expected and i live the drive mode easy adjust dial, Sport or Sport Plus lowers the car, frankly too low for B roads. 760bhp in Sport Plus and launch control. With the sound inside and external along with the gearchange it really offers a driving experience. What a car.
Was that a Taycan in the JLR car park :D

Would love one of these but at twice the price of an I Pace a cross or sport turismo is going to be well out of my range when I'm next looking

Associate
cant see the appeal for me at least anybody i know that went electric found the over all costs were higher than their old petrol car
over here in Northern Ireland the charging point infrastructure is terrible maybe slightly better in belfast etc

Soldato
cant see the appeal for me at least anybody i know that went electric found the over all costs were higher than their old petrol car
over here in Northern Ireland the charging point infrastructure is terrible maybe slightly better in belfast etc

You must be from a parallel universe because I am from Northern Ireland and live well outside Belfast and the infrastructure here is much better than even just a year ago. Plenty of new rapid chargers near me at over 100kWh and since they stopped the free charging, the public chargers are working and available far more readily.

The EV home charging tariffs aren’t great but still far cheaper than ICE. 4-5p per mile vs 16-18p per mile.

The total costs of going electric are substantially better for me. And that would be the same if I were to buy a £10k - £15k used EV. Yearly savings on running costs at 10,000 miles PA, is about £1400 over a petrol ICE.

Last edited:
Associate
You must be from a parallel universe because I am from Northern Ireland and live well outside Belfast and the infrastructure here is much better than even just a year ago. Plenty of new rapid chargers near me at over 100kWh and since they stopped the free charging, the public chargers are working and available far more readily.

The EV home charging tariffs aren’t great but still far cheaper than ICE. 4-5p per mile vs 16-18p per mile.

The total costs of going electric are substantially better for me. And that would be the same if I were to buy a £10k - £15k used EV.
Coleraine m8 think there is 6 or 7 chargers in the hole area mybe 3 or 4 in portrush

Back
Top Bottom