When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
We took delivery of our brand new VW ID.3 Pro this afternoon. It isn't the most exciting car on the planet by a long stretch but the economics of it are just too hard to argue with.

We really like ours. A few annoyances, particularly those capacitive buttons, and the tech is mostly great but occasionally gets it wrong in an irritating way but overall: really nice car. I think it's pretty fun too - obviously it's no sports car but for a regular family car kind of thing, it handles pretty nicely, it's get a bit of pep, and I actually really like that it's rear wheel drive.

Soldato
i think I saw some video about ID3 in stock ex-demo or extremely low mileage ones for just over 24k. That’s pretty good value tbh

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
We really like ours. A few annoyances, particularly those capacitive buttons, and the tech is mostly great but occasionally gets it wrong in an irritating way but overall: really nice car. I think it's pretty fun too - obviously it's no sports car but for a regular family car kind of thing, it handles pretty nicely, it's get a bit of pep, and I actually really like that it's rear wheel drive.

Good to hear! :)

Ours is the mid-2024 refresh version so has the 12.9" screen and other little enhancements over the earlier cars. I wonder how much of a difference that really makes? I don't think we'd notice or care but its good to know VW have been listening to their customers and moving things forward...

Soldato
We took delivery of our brand new VW ID.3 Pro this afternoon. It isn't the most exciting car on the planet by a long stretch but the economics of it are just too hard to argue with. Mrs DRZ has a 1.0TSI Golf and she does about 50 miles a day commuting to/from work. All in all she spends around £250 a month on fuel, £180/yr VED and about £600/yr to insure as she's a relatively new driver. This ID.3 is costing £273 a month on a 3+23 lease deal (10k pa), which is £7100, plus insurance is quite a bit less at a shade under £300 a year so even at £20/month in electricity (which is massively more than we think it'll be!) we're at pretty much break even before we get into servicing etc - and of course we will sell the Golf. She might stray over the mileage limit but even then we're still massively quids in overall.

Even if we compare the depreciation of buying our exact Golf and using those numbers and all of our running costs, this ID.3 deal is still extremely competitive to the point of it basically being a no-brainer.
What is the penalty for going over the mileage allowance because for me to spend £250 a month in fuel in my slightly less economical Leon I'd have to do be doing over 21k a year.

Soldato
fingers crossed they do something you are happy with....... an entire new battery pack would be v nice on a car with 95k miles on the clock.
if they do that - the Audi bev warranty I posted yesterday in the other thread - if they are replacing packs near 100K they only have to provide a minimum refurb of 75% of original capacity
so there's a de-rating going on - that strategy was new to me.

Associate
Ive got a Jag ipace - I don't think ill ever go back to a petrol car again, it is much nicer to drive and having equivalent of a petrol station on your driveway is so handy.

Soldato
i think I saw some video about ID3 in stock ex-demo or extremely low mileage ones for just over 24k. That’s pretty good value tbh
Unless you are buying a Tesla or a Polestar, the list prices are just wildly inaccurate now.

The real prices a tumbling and there are some are really keenly priced these days. There is currently a brand new Leaf on auto trader for £19k.

If you’ll accept a pre-reg, even cheaper. 40kwh Leaf Tekna for £16k.
MX-30 for under £16k
Corsa £16.5k
E-2008 £17k
Sping £17k (why would you buy this over a Corsa or Leaf???)
eC4 £17k
E-UP £18k
500e £18k

Caporegime
Ours is the mid-2024 refresh version so has the 12.9" screen and other little enhancements over the earlier cars. I wonder how much of a difference that really makes? I don't think we'd notice or care but its good to know VW have been listening to their customers and moving things forward...

Ours too. I think the car is much the same, but the interior significantly upgraded.

Soldato
Literally madness to buy a new electric car, ive lost about £5k on my used one in less than 6 months
Its a falling market, new prices are dropping, pushing used prices down. New prices coming down can only be a good thing in the long term.

Those cars I linked above will be £8-10k used cars in 3 years which seems perfectly reasonable. Unless something dramatic happens to supply or demand that is.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, whats that telling me? you agree or not?

I used 79kWh to take a model Y from 6% to 100% from memory.
I know some power is lost when charging especially using granny charger but my calculations show that I’m adding about 2.2kwh to the battery per hour so it’s not that bad.

Soldato
Not fancied full Electric, however I do like the new Renault 5.
Same, I think it looks awesome in the dark blue. I can't charge at home but I don't do many miles so I could potentially deal with only using public chargers. We have an EV-only salary sacrifice scheme at work which includes everything so when the R5 is available I may run the numbers and see what comes out the other side.

Last edited:
Associate
I know some power is lost when charging especially using granny charger but my calculations show that I’m adding about 2.2kwh to the battery per hour so it’s not that bad.

Power = volts x amps so 240 x 10 so 2400 watts or 2.4kw, 2.2 with losses is about right!

Soldato
Literally madness to buy a new electric car, ive lost about £5k on my used one in less than 6 months
It's likely only to be madness if you plan on selling it a short period after you buy it. The longer you keep it the less of an impact the depreciation will have. People have become obsessed with having new/different cars every 2-3 years and the oversupply (prior to covid) made that a possibility. Ironically as cars got more reliable people swapped them more often. My next car will be an EV but I'll keep it for at least five years to minimise the deprecation.

Soldato
What is the penalty for going over the mileage allowance because for me to spend £250 a month in fuel in my slightly less economical Leon I'd have to do be doing over 21k a year.

Depends on the individual deal, cost per mile can vary quite a bit, last VW quote I had was about 13ppm, but have seen it as low as 7.5ppm. Key with PCH deals is price the miles based on what you need, and which deal works out the cheapest, e.g. paying the excess at the end.

Caporegime
On
Agree. Best Ev I’ve driven for fun and just doing everything well (at a sensible price) is my cupra born which is a bit tweaked from the id3. 58kwh is about 1.8 ton too so lighter than the bigger battery version and it does handle nicely.

However the born Vz has just appeared on zenith so I regret I went for a 3yrs SS as I could have ordered one if on 2yrs. The seats look ace. DCC as standard with improved info and paddles for regen and with 320 hp I can’t help but think it’s the ideal EV for what I need. The battery seems to be the new MEB+ with bigger cells so it’s 79kWh with 185kW charging. Only negative is it’s 1999kg. But that new Ap550 wet motor is a big jump in torque over the 310Nm dry.

Last edited:
Associate
I intend to go my entire life without buying electric. Mainly because newer vehicles are very anti DIY and I prefer solid built things I know i can fix myself and keep running. If i had no choice and had to go green i would full on convert the Audi myself so i at least knew how it worked.

Back
Top Bottom