When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
fingers crossed they do something you are happy with....... an entire new battery pack would be v nice on a car with 95k miles on the clock.

if they buy it back would it be on the proviso you get another ipace?
Honestly not heard of this happening from anyone else so maybe the person from the dealership was talking out of his arse but will update if I do hear anything back on a sale back...

Probably a new pack is more likely? But that would probably cost way more than the car is actually worth / is outstanding on finance (am in negative equity)?

Soldato
i read somewhere - ipaceforums.co.uk maybe where some people were getting a swap out car to keep.

2nd hand but always an upgrade from what they handed in - so an S replaced with HSE or high miler replaced with low miler with new battery etc.

if so that kind of makes sense, better than buying the car back, it also means customers are not left without a car for ages with jaguar having to pay for hire cars.

presumably the really high miler cars would get a basic repair and then shipped off for auction,***** where as all the rest get repaired and then given out to a customer with a similar issue in the future.

of course i could have been reading way to much into a few random forum posts.... but that seems a sensible solution to me for what must be a pita for jaguar/LG

**** athough that said, our local Jag main dealer have mercedes A class courtesy cars... it would make far more sense to use lower spec high miler ipaces as courtesy cars imo rather than a rival brand.... its not a great look when jaguar do not use their own cars at a main dealer.

i asked why and was told in all honesty "it is because jaguar cars are too expensive!" but that would not be the case with high miler ex customer vehicles and would be a much better look imo

Last edited:
Caporegime
We needed a second car for the weekend, so my wife hired a car and one of the cheapest options turned out to be the BYD Atto 3. I'm pretty impressed, it looks good, and has a really pretty nice interior - comfortable and spacious. I've not driven it, but my wife says it was nice to drive on the way back from the hiring. I can see why they're doing well, it certainly looks and feels like a quality product. European manufacturers are right to be worried.

Soldato
We needed a second car for the weekend, so my wife hired a car and one of the cheapest options turned out to be the BYD Atto 3. I'm pretty impressed, it looks good, and has a really pretty nice interior - comfortable and spacious. I've not driven it, but my wife says it was nice to drive on the way back from the hiring. I can see why they're doing well, it certainly looks and feels like a quality product. European manufacturers are right to be worried.
BYD are making some incredible cars across the whole car spectrum. the Yangwang U9 looks superb, and as far as hyper cars go is not too expensive, and then they do that absolutely massive 4wd car which can also act as an amphibious vehicle (cant remember the name - edit the U8 !) (ok that is a hybrid but it still has 100 miles of pure battery range, and the engine acts as a range extender... its how hybrids should be imo)

obviously we would never get the cars for the price they get them for in China.

Last edited:
Soldato
i asked why and was told in all honesty "it is because jaguar cars are too expensive!" but that would not be the case with high miler ex customer vehicles and would be a much better look imo
I can't see main dealers wanting to do anything other than sweep those particular cars under the rug.

Your courtesy car being the one that has ended up being the least desirable at the end of a round of pass the i-pace is a pretty horrendous look for a premium brand on many levels.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see main dealers wanting to do anything other than sweep those particular cars under the rug.

Your courtesy car being the one that has ended up being the least desirable at the end of a round of pass the i-pace is a pretty horrendous look for a premium brand on many levels.
I dunno, its not like even a bottom of the range ipace is some cruddy old banger tho, they are all premium pieces of kit.....

Soldato
I dunno, its not like even a bottom of the range ipace is some cruddy old banger tho, they are all premium pieces of kit.....
No denying that, I'd just find it a bit odd to drop my car off at the main dealer and be given a 7 year old car with 90k on the clock. I'd find it even more odd if it came to light that the car in question was there because it was swapped for a 6 year old one with 70k when its battery crapped itself.

Soldato
No denying that, I'd just find it a bit odd to drop my car off at the main dealer and be given a 7 year old car with 90k on the clock. I'd find it even more odd if it came to light that the car in question was there because it was swapped for a 6 year old one with 70k when its battery crapped itself.
it wasnt at jaguar but i had a filthy , must have been 20 year old volvo courtesy car once. it was grubby inside, had over 150k on the clock and you could turn the steering wheel about 10 degrees and nothing seemed to happen with the car.

whilst i must admit i was surprised, at the same time i was just happy to have a car, and i must admit, that was far from the worst car i have ever driven.

but that said, i do see your point. its just personally i think it would be a perfect use for such a car and would be a shame if people were angry if they were given one as a loaner just becasue it was getting on a bit and had done a few miles........ after all its only a courtesy car.

anyway i have wavered off topic again.

Last edited:
Soldato
All good discussion tbf. Courtesy cars from my local retailer tend to me future used approved nearly new. At first battery replacement I got an Evoque with 10 miles on the clock. Was a smelly diesel though :cry:

Associate
24 hours seems optimistic - on the rare occasion I use the 3 pin socket now I always turn the current down to prevent the plug getting hot, and at the minimum of 6 amps it would take about 3 days to fully charge from empty.

The full charger just takes away the charge time anxiety.
Battery on my model 3 is 55kWh useable capacity (probably a little less as the car is 18 months old with 10k on the odometer) when going from 0% to 100%. When charging at 10 amps which I do, it adds about 2.2kwh to the battery per hour so in 24hours I can add around 53kwh.

Last edited:
Associate
Battery on my model 3 is 55kWh useable capacity (probably a little less as the car is 18 months old with 10k on the odometer) when going from 0% to 100%. When charging at 10 amps which I do, it adds about 2.2kwh to the battery per hour so in 24hours I can add around 53kwh.

I shall shut up then - I didn’t realise the battery was quite that small!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
We took delivery of our brand new VW ID.3 Pro this afternoon. It isn't the most exciting car on the planet by a long stretch but the economics of it are just too hard to argue with. Mrs DRZ has a 1.0TSI Golf and she does about 50 miles a day commuting to/from work. All in all she spends around £250 a month on fuel, £180/yr VED and about £600/yr to insure as she's a relatively new driver. This ID.3 is costing £273 a month on a 3+23 lease deal (10k pa), which is £7100, plus insurance is quite a bit less at a shade under £300 a year so even at £20/month in electricity (which is massively more than we think it'll be!) we're at pretty much break even before we get into servicing etc - and of course we will sell the Golf. She might stray over the mileage limit but even then we're still massively quids in overall.

Even if we compare the depreciation of buying our exact Golf and using those numbers and all of our running costs, this ID.3 deal is still extremely competitive to the point of it basically being a no-brainer.

Associate
Its way less efficient than that is the problem in terms of what gets to the actual cells.
My last charging session took exactly 7 hours and added 28% so 24 hours of charging should charge the battery from 0-95% or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Associate
We took delivery of our brand new VW ID.3 Pro this afternoon. It isn't the most exciting car on the planet by a long stretch but the economics of it are just too hard to argue with. Mrs DRZ has a 1.0TSI Golf and she does about 50 miles a day commuting to/from work. All in all she spends around £250 a month on fuel, £180/yr VED and about £600/yr to insure as she's a relatively new driver. This ID.3 is costing £273 a month on a 3+23 lease deal (10k pa), which is £7100, plus insurance is quite a bit less at a shade under £300 a year so even at £20/month in electricity (which is massively more than we think it'll be!) we're at pretty much break even before we get into servicing etc - and of course we will sell the Golf. She might stray over the mileage limit but even then we're still massively quids in overall.

Even if we compare the depreciation of buying our exact Golf and using those numbers and all of our running costs, this ID.3 deal is still extremely competitive to the point of it basically being a no-brainer.
That’s the thing, most people don’t realise how cheap EVs are to run when charging from home and using right electricity tariff.
My model 3 can do 4.5 - 5.5 miles per kWh with the way I’m driving so that’s 450 to 550 miles for only 7-8 quid.
It cost me nearly 10 times that to do those kind of miles in my old stinky sluggish 1.6 tdi Škoda.

Last edited:
Soldato

Any reason you didn't do salary sacrifice? Insurance seems to be lower than expected; EVs are getting dinged at the minute.

Back
Top Bottom