When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Well a typically single axel caravan normally only has a payload of 150kg when empty regardless of size. That would take it up to it’s maximum weight per its chassis plate which it’s legal maximum weight. I think mines only 125kg.

So yes, you could put 150kg of cement in if you really want.

I’m not sure how that differs from the stuff you’d usually take when caravanning like gas bottles, food clothing, awning etc. You also have to account for any fitted accessories like a motor mover which is ~30kg, oh and a battery.

Fair enough if you are being pedantic.

Replace the caravan with trailer. If the trailer is empty versus full of cement, which one will have the biggest impact on EV efficiency?

Soldato
I assume he means structurally it can't hold the weight.

Its a bad example. you'd have have a van where there is no change in aerodynamics drag, or height of the vehicle then you'd see the difference.

Its all moot though as no one is driving a van and a van has the aerodynamics of a brick in the first place.

I'd guess EV drivers aren't trying to squeeze an extra 10% of range out by being lighter or driving really slowly. They'll just hit a charger for a top up, and add so much charge weight becomes irrelevant. Stopping for a few minutes on a long journey is mostly more practical.

Yes and the same applies to any EV. Fill the same EV with people and luggage and the efficiency will be impacted.

We can see this with similar EVs with smaller batteries having higher efficiency.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weight - pulling a heavier car/caravan slowly up a hill uses more energy than aero benefits.
Aero - this has more benefit for efficiency when moving at speed along a normal road, than weight saving does.

Ride a heavy aero bike, in an aero position, Vs a light weight bike and the above is obvious.

Soldato
Weight - pulling a heavier car/caravan slowly up a hill uses more energy than aero benefits.
Aero - this has more benefit for efficiency when moving at speed along a normal road, than weight saving does.

Ride a heavy aero bike, in an aero position, Vs a light weight bike and the above is obvious.

But that was never in question. All things being equal, same EV, same road same driving style and conditions but adding more weight = overall decreased efficiency.

Caporegime
I just made the point the guy had a car full of stuff and a dog and seemed to suggest it actually made a difference in a steady speed motorway journey.

Not sure how we got into caravans and cement :)

Associate
Source ChatGPT:

“ Summary

The actual efficiency loss due to extra weight in an EV will depend on various factors, but a general estimate is around 1-2% increase in energy consumption per 100 kg of additional weight. This results in a corresponding decrease in miles per kWh (or increase in kWh per mile). For a more precise figure, specific testing under controlled conditions would be required.”

Don’t know how accurate it is but seems extremely low tbh.

Soldato
Why does it seem low?

Once the wheels are moving your biggest enemy is the air and always has been. It only gets worse the faster you go.

If you are in stop start traffic the impact will be bigger but as we all know efficiency/range around town is almost irrelevant.

Realistically, long range towing is usually with a big trailer that had a huge impact on aero. Think horse box, caravan, car trailer, boat etc. even a bike rack with bikes materially impacts efficiency.

I can’t think of any realistic reason why you’d fill a trailer with bags of cement and tow it 150 miles other than for the YouTube clicks. You can get cement in almost any town.

Back
Top Bottom