When are you going fully electric?

I might consider changing to lecric for my next car now my commute is different to what it was
charging at home appeals you know !
Charging at home is super cheap (can get special rates for electric cars).
Just don't rely on the wall plug ones, get a proper charger installed.

Last edited:
@lordrobs going back to your original question.

Have you considered a standard range Model 3 - the last version of the pre-facelift model (from December 2021) is a good buy on the used market.

It’s got a little battery (60kw) but excellent efficiency which gives it a WLTP of 306 miles. Decent performance, fast (and cheap) charging. The boot is big, it just has a small opening, the sub boot and frunk are also a decent size.

I’m not sure how much a facelift model goes for but may also be worth considering if your budget goes that far, its got a much nicer interior.

Last edited:
You can do it via a 13pin socket but generally speaking its more easier and much more flexible to have a proper charger if you do decent milage.

Most of the good tariffs require you to have a compatible car or charger. If you have a compatible car, you can also go down the commando socket route and get the same charging speed as a dedicated charger but the installation cost is basically the same.

Personally, I'd just get a proper charger installed.

ill have to look into that a bit more ! :)
can you charge one overnight from a normal socket or do you need a proper charger ?
In theory you can, as I think the special rates would apply to all electricity used in the cheap period (mine is 12am to 5am).
However it would take you over day (like 24 to 30 hours) to charge an electric car from empty to full. The 3 pin charger is also not the safest way to charge either, lots of reports of these going pop when used all the time and for long periods.

A typical installed home charger (7kw charger) will cut this down to more like 8 hours depending on the car.
You can also get 22kw chargers that will do this charge in 3 to 4 hours, but most houses don't have the infrastructure for this kind of installation.

Last edited:
Important to note on home charging times that you rarely charge from empty to full. I think I have done it once in 5 years when I got back from a 350 mile trip then had a 300 mile one the next day.

Normally you just top up every few days for 1-2hrs overnight.

In theory you can, as I think the special rates would apply to all electricity used in the cheap period (mine is 12am to 5am).
However it would take you over day (like 24 to 30 hours) to charge an electric car from empty to full. The 3 pin charger is also not the safest way to charge either, lots of reports of these going pop when used all the time and for long periods.

A typical installed home charger (7kw charger) will cut this down to more like 8 hours depending on the car.
You can also get 22kw chargers that will do this charge in 3 to 4 hours, but most houses don't have the infrastructure for this kind of installation.
hmm ok thanks for the insight ! :)

Important to note on home charging times that you rarely charge from empty to full. I think I have done it once in 5 years when I got back from a 350 mile trip then had a 300 mile one the next day.

Normally you just top up every few days for 1-2hrs overnight.
Agreed, as long as you have a proper charger that charges at a reasonable speed.

@lordrobs going back to your original question.

Have you considered a standard range Model 3 - the last version of the pre-facelift model (from December 2021) is a good buy on the used market.

It’s got a little battery (60kw) but excellent efficiency which gives it a WLTP of 306 miles. Decent performance, fast (and cheap) charging. The boot is big, it just has a small opening, the sub boot and frunk are also a decent size.

I’m not sure how much a facelift model goes for but may also be worth considering if your budget goes that far, its got a much nicer interior.
90% of my work trips require me to carry a laptop and an overnight bag. Unfortunately that other 10% requires quite bulky kit hence the need for a big square load bay with easy access.

Also 9 years of company estate cars has got me accustomed to being able to sling a fridge freezer , washing machine, sofa, half of IKEA, mountain bike etc. in the back when required. It isn't all the time but I do appreciate being able to do it when I have a need. That practicality plus not having to worry about the odd scratched bit of trim = rental van levels of load lugging ability :p

I never really got the negativity against PHEVs... Untill I seriously started to look into getting one. I read a long term review of the C5 Aircross (I can get a new one in budget so I had to at least give it a look) and the guy got 35mpg out of it over several thousand miles. Now admittedly he didn't charge the thing but still. THIRTY FIVE miles per gallon. I pay for my fuel at a fixed rate and drive accordingly and my long term average is 48mpg in a bog standard petrol. I get that it's an SUV Vs an estate but the only reason I'm considering SUVs is because PHEV estates are generally so compromised in load space.

Now obviously I'll plug it in but I've just done 260 miles to Newport for work. If I went for a Sportage it has a 40 mile electric range. Now I know it's more clever than to burn that up and then run on petrol for 220 miles but... In effect that is the blend of fuel for the trip I just did. I was getting a bit of a lick on (cruise set to +10% +2) and I saw nearly 48mpg in the Leon. Would I see worse than that in a 'save the polar bears' BIK bonus PHEV?!

I'm rapidly going from PHEVs are the answer to a decision of sticking with ICE or pushing for full EV. Two empty BP Pulse points right outside the hotel as well helps the case for the EV option...

90% of my work trips require me to carry a laptop and an overnight bag. Unfortunately that other 10% requires quite bulky kit hence the need for a big square load bay with easy access.

Also 9 years of company estate cars has got me accustomed to being able to sling a fridge freezer , washing machine, sofa, half of IKEA, mountain bike etc. in the back when required. It isn't all the time but I do appreciate being able to do it when I have a need. That practicality plus not having to worry about the odd scratched bit of trim = rental van levels of load lugging ability :p

I never really got the negativity against PHEVs... Untill I seriously started to look into getting one. I read a long term review of the C5 Aircross (I can get a new one in budget so I had to at least give it a look) and the guy got 35mpg out of it over several thousand miles. Now admittedly he didn't charge the thing but still. THIRTY FIVE miles per gallon. I pay for my fuel at a fixed rate and drive accordingly and my long term average is 48mpg in a bog standard petrol. I get that it's an SUV Vs an estate but the only reason I'm considering SUVs is because PHEV estates are generally so compromised in load space.

Now obviously I'll plug it in but I've just done 260 miles to Newport for work. If I went for a Sportage it has a 40 mile electric range. Now I know it's more clever than to burn that up and then run on petrol for 220 miles but... In effect that is the blend of fuel for the trip I just did. I was getting a bit of a lick on (cruise set to +10% +2) and I saw nearly 48mpg in the Leon. Would I see worse than that in a 'save the polar bears' BIK bonus PHEV?!

I'm rapidly going from PHEVs are the answer to a decision of sticking with ICE or pushing for full EV. Two empty BP Pulse points right outside the hotel as well helps the case for the EV option...
I've got a lot of good things to say about the Model Y if this helps.
Good car, good speed/acceleration and great storage - very practical with 2 kids under 6.
Only complaint is it has a pretty poor turning circle.

Last edited:
I've got a lot of good things to say about the Model Y if this helps.
Good car, good speed/acceleration and great storage - very practical with 2 kids under 6.
Only complaint is it has a pretty poor turning circle.
The reason I suggested Model 3 over Y is because you can get away with the standard range model, the Y and its competitors, you need the long range model to hit 300 miles WLTP.

@lordrobs - I don't think anyone's suggested it get but the Scenic looks like a decent car and you can get the long range one for under £40k brand new with 389 miles WLTP range. The Megane is also a decent car but it maxes out at 280 miles WLTP from its 60kwh battery.

Back
Top Bottom