When are you going fully electric?

Got the nod to look into a new company car; year or two old PHEV up to £30k... Awesome I thought. Then I looked into what was available and was pretty underwhelmed especially in terms of compromised load spaces. Leon estate for example loses 150L in PHEV form.

Anyway, settled on a KIA Sportage then swapped out the PHEV for Electric on my search and set a 300+ mile quoted range expecting to see nowt and straight away the Ioniq 5, ID4 and Enyaq match my requirements.

Some serious thought needed over the next week. If I'm going to ask to go BEV I'll need to put a pretty compelling case forward. The cost of fitting a charger wipes out any saving Vs the Sportage as that is cheap as chips BIK wise but that is an investment for the future anyway.

Honestly on the face of it I was sure PHEV was the answer, now I'm in the position to put someone else's money where my mouth is and I've started doing my research... I'm not so sure it is.

Why do you need 300mile range ? And don’t believe cars saying 300 is real world. A ID4 will be 77kWh max and it’s certainly not doing 4miles /kwh on a trip where range matters (motorway)

Last edited:
In fairness they said quoted range not real world range which suggests they is well aware that a 300 mile range car will not do 300 miles in the real world.

300 miles quoted range is a sensible target given that will equate to 200-240 miles up the motorway in the real world.

Last edited:
In fairness they said quoted range not real world range which suggests they is well aware that a 300 mile range car will not do 300 miles in the real world.

300 miles quoted range is a sensible target given that will equate to 200-240 miles up the motorway in the real world.
Yes yes. You have an ability to repeat people with far too many words and seem to not realise you are saying the same thing

Your reply didn’t answer my question about why 300 miles matters to the person who said it matters…

People look for 300 mile range cause that’s what they want. Not because they know 300 means 240

Last edited:
france trip - do have the potential for erratic queuing at the charger with the ev - admittedly the one time I dashed from Med->ferry was overnight 700miles/130kph so would probably be queue free.
fuel costs if his jogger did 50mph circa £100 for petrol or electric at 1.8e/l 0.55e/kwh

Anyway, settled on a KIA Sportage then swapped out the PHEV for Electric on my search and set a 300+ mile quoted range expecting to see nowt and straight away the Ioniq 5, ID4 and Enyaq match my requirements.

Surely something like this Enyaq is a decent shout, there's a 73 plated one at a lower spec as well with low mileage, also you can't look at a charger as something that is wiping out savings as it doesn't disappear when you return the car and get the next one. Sportage seems to be around the £27-28k for the 13.8kWh PHEV, in the age range you'd like, with 25-35k miles on them.

Got the nod to look into a new company car; year or two old PHEV up to £30k... Awesome I thought. Then I looked into what was available and was pretty underwhelmed especially in terms of compromised load spaces. Leon estate for example loses 150L in PHEV form.

Some serious thought needed over the next week. If I'm going to ask to go BEV I'll need to put a pretty compelling case forward. The cost of fitting a charger wipes out any saving Vs the Sportage as that is cheap as chips BIK wise but that is an investment for the future anyway.

Honestly on the face of it I was sure PHEV was the answer, now I'm in the position to put someone else's money where my mouth is and I've started doing my research... I'm not so sure it is.

Ive probably done my last long trip in the 330e till my EV arrives. As ive said before, i love the car, bags of power drives great and doesnt look bad. But in reality its been the perfect transition car. With its tiny fuel tank, its probably taking me the same time do 500mile round trip as an EV would :p

Anyway, colleagues who have the VAG based PHEV claim pretty decent MPG, the Tucson,Kuga and CRV PHEV's are worth a mention. The ones with decent battery and EV range have only really been released in the last 3 or 4 months, so personally if you can make it work, go for a EV and get on the gravy train, its not going to last long :p

The Enyaq is a smart looking car in the sportline trim, decent boot and cabin size too. EV6 and Ionic 5 were slightly lacking in the luggage area, quite a shallow boot. Nissan Ariya and Merc EQB would be worth a look aswell, might be a bit new for the budget mind. Depending on the type of luggage space you need, would a Tesla Model 3 work?

Best best has to be the Taycan tho, apparently the market is flooded with them and they are worthless:p

I assume you mean MPG, and 1000 miles is 20 gallons (90.8l), at ~£1.45l is £131.66, the ABRP showed a Tesla would have cost £50.
I think he said 1100km so closer to 62 litres at 50mpg.
Still way more than charging Tesla at superchargers.

I think he said 1100km so closer to 62 litres at 50mpg.
Still way more than charging Tesla at superchargers.

I was referring to his original starting point in the UK. But yeah can't imagine how dreadful it must be doing 680 miles with a total of less than an hour stopping, and only allowing 15 minutes to eat lunch, or neck a coffee, sounds like and army expedition not a holiday. I not sure if we should club together and send a medal for doing it in 12.5 hours, maybe get Guinness on the case, it may be some sort of record. :p

I drove across a large part of Canada last month outrunning the forest fires :eek: and did a number of similar drives just because the place is vast and whilst we did do stops, they were sight seeing, not many long fuelling stops in 3000 miles, an EV would have been a challenge in that scenario, just because of the time needed and the planning, but just something you can do when you have a big tank of easily replaceable fuel and fuel is cheap, well compared to here anyway.

Last edited:
Why do you need 300mile range ? And don’t believe cars saying 300 is real world. A ID4 will be 77kWh max and it’s certainly not doing 4miles /kwh on a trip where range matters (motorway)
I don't and I don't :p my logic was 300+ miles quoted range equals a solid 200 miles in the depths of winter and 200 miles gives me plenty of flexibility for work trips.
Surely something like this Enyaq is a decent shout, there's a 73 plated one at a lower spec as well with low mileage, also you can't look at a charger as something that is wiping out savings as it doesn't disappear when you return the car and get the next one. Sportage seems to be around the £27-28k for the 13.8kWh PHEV, in the age range you'd like, with 25-35k miles on them.
Yeah price wise they are pretty much the same. The charger isn't a waste but while nickel and diming over £50 of BIK here and there I couldn't ignore the elephant in the room of a £1000+ charger install.

Unfortunately I can't just whack a charger on the wall of my house so it will take a bit more work and cost.
Ive probably done my last long trip in the 330e till my EV arrives. As ive said before, i love the car, bags of power drives great and doesnt look bad. But in reality its been the perfect transition car. With its tiny fuel tank, its probably taking me the same time do 500mile round trip as an EV would :p

Anyway, colleagues who have the VAG based PHEV claim pretty decent MPG, the Tucson,Kuga and CRV PHEV's are worth a mention. The ones with decent battery and EV range have only really been released in the last 3 or 4 months, so personally if you can make it work, go for a EV and get on the gravy train, its not going to last long :p

The Enyaq is a smart looking car in the sportline trim, decent boot and cabin size too. EV6 and Ionic 5 were slightly lacking in the luggage area, quite a shallow boot. Nissan Ariya and Merc EQB would be worth a look aswell, might be a bit new for the budget mind. Depending on the type of luggage space you need, would a Tesla Model 3 work?

Best best has to be the Taycan tho, apparently the market is flooded with them and they are worthless:p
Kuga, Toyota and Mazda PHEVs aren't an option unfortunately as they are 2.5L and neither party will want to pay the 2000cc+ mileage rate!

The new VAG PHEVs would have been a good option but they want to shift my Leon in the next few weeks and it'll be a year or more before they hit used / pre reg prices. I'm not convinced I'd be happy with the boot space either if the current Leon PHEV is anything to go by.

Interesting what you said about the shallow boot. I've got a couple of bits of kit that max out the load space in all 3 dimensions so I'll have to do some measurements... or try it out at a dealership :p Model 3 wouldn't cut it unfortunately as I sometimes carry bulky kit.

Edit - Ionic 5 is out due to boot shape.

Last edited:
I drove across a large part of Canada last month outrunning the forest fires :eek: and did a number of similar drives just because the place is vast and whilst we did do stops, they were sight seeing, not many long fuelling stops in 3000 miles, an EV would have been a challenge in that scenario, just because of the time needed and the planning, but just something you can do when you have a big tank of easily replaceable fuel and fuel is cheap, well compared to here anyway.

Lots of videos online of people driving across Canada in EVs.

"....184,578 new EV registrations in 2023 in Canada"

I assume if you live in the sticks up a mountain you're going to buy a big go anywhere 4x4 not a Nissan Micra.

Another France trip that has demonstrated the utter futility in trying to replace our larger petrol car with an EV. No functioning charging points in the car park near the house. No functioning charging points in the village at all beyond the odd one in folks' private garages (plus the one lady with a 500e running an extension lead 8ft across an access road out to her car half the day...) . Some chargers out towards the beach at Ste Marie, but you'd need to be there around 6am to get to use one. And even if we could park outside our house here we'd need to substantially upgrade the wiring to support any kind of car charger be it slow or fast charging.

Plus, lest we forget, the journey taking an extra day in either direction in order to get to charging points without having to use all toll roads and spending a small fortune there.

Still though. Seriously considering something Zoe or 500e shaped for ma as a runabout/slightly longer occasional trip car back home. Just needs to be something compact-ish with a range of 130 miles or better even in the dead of winter. Oh, and with seats that don't give her backache.

Considering EV make up a tiny % of the market no one has to buy an EV. There's certainly a case to be made for a mile munching diesel.

That said, there's an awful lot of chargers within 10-15 mins of that location.

You'd think if you had a house in the south of France, thinking of upgrading the wiring solar would be a no brainer.

I was referring to his original starting point in the UK. But yeah can't imagine how dreadful it must be doing 680 miles with a total of less than an hour stopping, and only allowing 15 minutes to eat lunch, or neck a coffee, sounds like and army expedition not a holiday. I not sure if we should club together and send a medal for doing it in 12.5 hours, maybe get Guinness on the case, it may be some sort of record. :p
It was in a Dacia jogger. There's a lot to be said for staying focused so the pain stops as soon as it possibly can.

I don't and I don't :p my logic was 300+ miles quoted range equals a solid 200 miles in the depths of winter and 200 miles gives me plenty of flexibility for work trips.

I guess it comes down to how frequent the work trips are. Because it wasn't that often I could put up with a quick charge stop if it was saving me a ton of money in the bigger picture. But with larger mileage comes higher depreciation and it can effect financing. There's that to consider also.

That said there's a bit of overhead with new tech. Not everyone wants to bother with it. So if someone wants to stick with what they know, each to their own.

I assume you mean MPG, and 1000 miles is 20 gallons (90.8l), at ~£1.45l is £131.66, the ABRP showed a Tesla would have cost £50.
yes mpg , calculation I made with 0.55e/kwh and 3m/kwh would be 183e electric for 1000miles
1.8e/L and 50mpg 164e
using A8 charger, i'd linked earlier and carrefour petrol.
but unlikely to get 50mpg at top autoroute speed 80mph and 3m/kwh probably blown out too,
ok that only reconfirms need for a home charger , but would nonetheless be painful on your holiday

yes mpg , calculation I made with 0.55e/kwh and 3m/kwh would be 183e electric for 1000miles
1.8e/L and 50mpg 164e
using A8 charger, i'd linked earlier and carrefour petrol.
but unlikely to get 50mpg at top autoroute speed 80mph and 3m/kwh probably blown out too,
ok that only reconfirms need for a home charger , but would nonetheless be painful on your holiday

It literally tells you on ABRP the cost based on the car you select, why are you even guessing with zero experience of using an EV?

Back
Top Bottom