When are you going fully electric?

I am very tempted with a getting a EV next year, been doing my research etc. most likely to be get a 2nd hand Tesla M3. I did comment on here about a month ago asking if many of you manage to just use public charging only, as I have two supercharge locations very close to me and the ability to charger whilst I play golf once a week. Plus there is talk that work maybe fitting some charger for staff to use.

I am happy to use public charging but as many pointed out charging at home has a so many benefits. As it stands my situation we live in an end terrace, in a very quiet neighbourhood and i can park outside my house with no issues. Been looking at these:

Out of these the kerbo seems to be the better solution as the charge bridge looks like it is still awaiting approval. Anyone used something like the kerbo? I am not keen on using a cable cover across the path.

But the bigger issue at the minute, it looks like we are on a looped supply, with a 60A cut out fuse. I don’t mind having using a granny charger with an external 3 pin or a commando socket fitted whilst waiting to be un-looped to eventually have a charger fitted. But this is all just another issue to try and overcome. Whilst not annoying the neighbours in the process.

Out of these the kerbo seems to be the better solution as the charge bridge looks like it is still awaiting approval. Anyone used something like the kerbo? I am not keen on using a cable cover across the path.

But the bigger issue at the minute, it looks like we are on a looped supply, with a 60A cut out fuse. I don’t mind having using a granny charger with an external 3 pin or a commando socket fitted whilst waiting to be un-looped to eventually have a charger fitted. But this is all just another issue to try and overcome. Whilst not annoying the neighbours in the process.

Chosen charge point installer will usually contact the DNO on your behalf and notify them of the intention to install a charger and sort out any paperwork, they'll then determine what works are needed, if they are possible and if there is a cost to you. I'd start this part first before even bothering getting the Kerbocharge people involved, unless they are offering charge point installs as well now.

I've just spoken to them and apparently it's 24ppm excess millage making the 12k better value. I'll miss the DCC and sunroof, but not by the amount I'll be saving, which effectively is my £10k deposit. This feels like a no brainer.

Oof, that's a high cost per mile. No wonder they are cheap at 5k miles.

Were you only keeping the other car deal for 2 years?

Oof, that's a high cost per mile. No wonder they are cheap at 5k miles.

Were you only keeping the other car deal for 2 years?
The pcp was 4 years at £514 with 10k deposit - with £2k of extras. I could afford it, but wasn't feeling great about the zero equity at the end of the pcp. I can now can stick the £10k away and buy one second hand in 2 years time.
Don't think I'm missing anything, the depreciation on the car will be way more than I'm spending over the 2 years.

The pcp was 4 years at £514 with 10k deposit - with £2k of extras. I could afford it, but wasn't feeling great about the zero equity at the end of the pcp. I can now can stick the £10k away and buy one second hand in 2 years time.
Don't think I'm missing anything, the depreciation on the car will be way more than I'm spending over the 2 years.

So that would have been around £710 per month amortised over the 48 months, for a total of ~£34k? The 36 month PCH with 12k miles per annum is at £470 per month which is £25 less than the 24 month deal. It's hard to know what the value will be after two years, but the difference to keep it for a third year is £5,069 at the 12k miles.

You can extended the lease near the end of the term, and it can be negotiated down, so it is worth taking the shorter lease even if intending to keep it an extra year. Are you 100% sure you use 12k miles, does 10k + overages work out better, what if you only do 22-23k etc.?

So that would have been around £710 per month amortised over the 48 months, for a total of ~£34k? The 36 month PCH with 12k miles per annum is at £470 per month which is £25 less than the 24 month deal. It's hard to know what the value will be after two years, but the difference to keep it for a third year is £5,069 at the 12k miles.

You can extended the lease near the end of the term, and it can be negotiated down, so it is worth taking the shorter lease even if intending to keep it an extra year. Are you 100% sure you use 12k miles, does 10k + overages work out better, what if you only do 22-23k etc.?
Thanks Journey, really helpful stuff. I easily do 12k probably 13k, lots of trips to Cornwall and Scotland. Just phoned vw and they of course can't get near the deal.
Hopefully finance etc works out and I'll cancel with the dealer.

Back
Top Bottom