When are you going fully electric?

i think that is a little harsh on octopus..... they were also one of the 1st in the uk to trial V2G to the general public a couple of years ago (not sure if it is still running).

I almost joined the scheme however it meant having to have one of their nissan leafs (due to chademo) and a leaf was not a good fit for us.

I am not suggesting they are perfect but they do more than most of the other major energy companies. They offered cheap EV charging off peak long before others did as well as bonus slots when there is oversupply.
It was sarcasm

You admitted to not reading a load of other posts earlier before talking about domestic batteries rather the battery storage farms. (Although our resident Google bot posted it so I wouldn’t be surprised if you skipped it).

As for numbers, mine are short and to the point :)

You admitted to not reading a load of other posts earlier before talking about domestic batteries rather the battery storage farms. (Although our resident Google bot posted it so I wouldn’t be surprised if you skipped it).

As for numbers, mine are short and to the point :)
Not meaning to be offensive to any poster, but i genuinely struggle to understand some of jpauls posts (possible language barrier or just me being thick, delete as appropriate) so yes i did skip some posts esp as some appeared to just be arguing.

ahhhh ok! sorry pre coffee :)
Yeah it was aimed at me who described some of the things that Octopus are doing as gimmicks which opened a whole can of worms and descended into apparently me complaining about free energy.

I wrote a long post, which I didn't end up posting, explaining why I was of that opinion but TBH I didn't want to re-open the can and derail the thread further so it's easier to just let people think that I 'don't get it'.

Last edited:
Lower prices on agile align with high wind and therefor greener so it’s a nice incentive to use it when it’s lower

Yesterday was under 5p for significant period

Last edited:
Not meaning to be offensive to any poster, but i genuinely struggle to understand some of jpauls posts (possible language barrier or just me being thick, delete as appropriate) so yes i did skip some posts esp as some appeared to just be arguing.
a more elaborate article that explain the contribution and role of UK battery storage which will provide a more profitable market for generators than handing out cheaper domestic energy

:p Yeah it was aimed at me who described some of the things that Octopus are doing as gimmicks which opened a whole can of worms and descended into apparently me complaining about free energy.

I wrote a long post, which I didn't end up posting, explaining why I was of that opinion but TBH I didn't want to re-open the can and derail the thread further so it's easier to just let people think that I 'don't get it'.

Its almost like you set yourself up with the championing of V2G after that gimmick statement.... and i have good poster memory. Could not resist, :cry:

a more elaborate article that explain the contribution and role of UK battery storage which will provide a more profitable market for generators than handing out cheaper domestic energy

Octopus are not a generator; when are you going to get this?

Its almost like you set yourself up with the championing of V2G after that gimmick statement.... and i have good poster memory. Could not resist, :cry:
Yeah, fair enough. To be honest I don't do myself any favours with my posting style which is usually a mix of too much waffle (usually a slow day in the office) and too much haste, not enough 'what's your point?' (usually when being yelled at by a 3 year old :p ). I think the Octopus gimmick post was one of the latter.

I should have given more context to the Octopus statement. I really do like what they are working on and I tend to think of them as part energy supplier, part tech company. Probably more the latter.

I actually kept the post in my phone notes so if anyone needs a cure for insomnia I'll whack it in spoiler tags below. Obviously I'm some nobody from Norfolk so my opinion counts for jack but, hey, this is an internet forum. If I can't be an armchair expert here where can I? :p

Ok, so it seems I opened a bit of a can of worms with my gimmick comment :p

The reason I said, and stand by, that is I honestly don't think any meaningful sway of people's usage habits will ever be achieved by saving sessions, free energy sessions or anything else that has the vast majority of people looking at the results afterwards and saying "is that it?!"

I had a decent stab at the energy saving sessions over winter but the reality is I have a young child and a pretty fixed routine with a 9-5 job when I'm in the office. Obviously my savings were never going to be great but I saved a whopping 1.8kWh. pretty rubbish right? Well apparently that put me in the top third of savers. It was a bit of interest for the 14 sessions and because it was a new thing that 1.8kWh was paid at a pretty unsustainable rate of £2.72 / kWh in 'Octopoints'.

Take that last free energy session as a further example in terms of load shift. You aren't going to be cooking your dinner in the early afternoon. It wasn't really long enough to do your laundry (my washing machine takes 2:40 to do a cycle that uses 1kWh so in an hour I'd save maybe 0.5kWh as the heating is front loaded). Which really leaves home battery storage people and EV owners. I await to be proved wrong but home battery storage is a TINY proportion of the population so that leaves EV owners as the masses. It seems to be commonly accepted that people with EVs are generally on an EV tariff so while you could look at that 7kWh or so you shoved into your car, if you happened to be at home during business hours on a week day, as 7kWh of peak rate electric but it's real 'worth' to you was actually about 50p. People aren't going to go out of their way for 50p sporadically placed here and there long term.

I honestly think that Octopus's beta testing and data accumulation (because lets face it, that's what it is) would be better targeted to those that want and have the ability to game it. Make it uber nerd, make it SETI for power distribution, gamify it with league tables and willy waving. Target it and exclude people like me who have a half arsed stab at it and then scoff at saving 20p. That will give a true indication of what is possible without the noise of having to calculate whether the likes of Rob from Norwich was watching the clock tick by before switching his oven on at 7:00 instead of his usual 6:55.

I think it's absolutely fantastic that we are in a situation where renewables are so abundant that at times we simply don't know what to do with the energy. It also represents a huge waste and a huge opportunity.

Those with battery storage may be able to make a bit of money from doing the pump and dump at optimal times but what percentage of the population is that?
V2L has been mentioned and that would bring home battery storage to an ever increasing number of people. V2G would be even better but is it anything more than a pipe dream at the moment?

The Nio esque battery swap stations could have been grid connected battery storage with demands from both sides forecast and helping balance the difference. It was never going to happen though because it needed a holistic approach and it's much easier (and likely better business sense) for every manufacturer to do their own thing and the public charging solution is 79p / kWh live off the grid* while you eat some crap and drink an overpriced coffee.

*Yes before you say it... some of the Gridserve sites are more forward thinking than that and have their own storage but I think their future business model is pretty clear now.

So I'm not knocking the vision, I'm knocking the approach as I can't see the longevity in it without infrastructure to back it up. I think trying to shift peak demand is like trying to push water up hill (energy storage pun absolutely intended) but shifting peak availability and spreading it out a bit... that has legs.

EDIT - I said V2L but really I meant V2H because I mixed my terminology up :o

Last edited:
Points mean prizes!

EV industry first: Smart Charge from Sainsbury’s introduces Nectar points to reward customers for electric vehicle charging​

Last edited:
we recently placed an order for the new renault e-scenic which was support to be with us 2 weeks ago, but the time line keep streching which is pretty frustrating. but looking forward to getting it.

we recently placed an order for the new renault e-scenic which was support to be with us 2 weeks ago, but the time line keep streching which is pretty frustrating. but looking forward to getting it.

My car was in for a service at VW and I popped across to Renault for a Poke around, its a really nice car, nice screens and controls, materials are decent and its pretty spacious despite not being that big.

Also checked out the Dacia Spring, not for me, but it wasn't terrible considering price.

Last edited:
My wife admitted to me this morning that, after 10 months of owning a hybrid which has used a grand total of under 20 litres of petrol over 6000 miles , that she would be prepared for her next car to be a proper EV instead of a hybrid.

I am v happy about that as having the REX in our i3 has had no positives so far and only cost us money. it also means cars like the cupra born are back on the table - or if long enough down the road maybe a Renault 5.

only condition is she wants a genuine 200 miles fair weather range (not a problem for the Born but may rule out the R5).

I just give up after attempting to decode them for the second time.
I am sure we could repurpose an enigma machine.

ChatGPT just returns "error"

Back
Top Bottom