When are you going fully electric?

Solar and batteries have different applications and benefits - they are not an either or and incidentally, they have similar payback times.

V2G will be interesting particularly with the growing duck curve in the UK for 6 months of the year from renewables. We may soon see the lowest power prices being in the middle of the day over the summer.

Not at all really, once the technology is installed at the point of the charger being fitted it is much less disruptive, and offers a much larger capacity than most people would dream of having in their homes.
Maybe. But, it's not new. Nissan Leafs have been V2G compatible since 2013.

My Leaf battery despite being quite small for a car, is much bigger than the house battery. Still, it's much better use in the car.

We may soon see the lowest power prices being in the middle of the day over the summer.
They already are for me. Power ups (free electric) is during the day. However a lot of people don't have their car at home and plugged in a that time.

Will be a piece of cake now with have 15118:20 for CCS. But you already knew that?

That’s the point really, no outlay for home batteries or a leaf just better utilisation of what you already have.
What chargers are compatible and how much do they cost?

The only V2G charger available at the moment is a Wall box Quasar.

If CCS V2G chargers are anything like that price, then I'd imagine it won't be particularly popular.

V2G chargers really need to be AC, not DC. Keep it simple on the house side and use the cars onboard inverters.

Many are including bi-directional inverters now, even on cheap cars.

What chargers are compatible and how much do they cost?

The only V2G charger available at the moment is a Wall box Quasar.

If CCS V2G chargers are anything like that price, then I'd imagine it won't be particularly popular.

So am I buying Leaf or a Leaf + Quasar? I wish people would get all the details when they recommended stuff. You suggested just a Leaf earlier ignoring the cost of a wall box which you are now citing as a reason v2G won’t take off… the mind boggles

It won’t be no as CHAdeMo leafs are DC only so the wall box needs to do this inversion to AC And step down. You know the very stuff cars with V2L bi direction chargers can do with hardware already in the car.

Back
Top Bottom