When are you going fully electric?

each to his own id3's at £15k look interesting, but on a typical weekend trip with a couple of hours of motorway , you'd have to stop for 40mins to dc re-charge.
Do enlighten us as to which ID.3 variant which you’ve driven that only has a 100 mile range? That’s how far you can realistically drive within 2 hours in the U.K. without breaking any traffic laws.

Those 6P's again - Cambridge to likes of stanage for climbing 150 miles for day = low temp range on an id3 .. stopping for 40mins somewhere? before return would be onerous

Now you understand why I don’t watch click bait nonsense. ;)

I could instantly answer the question without giving clicks to that content provider. Because I know the main reasons EV sales have practically flattened in some countries, is because the EV incentives have dried up. UK, Germany, Australia and even the US have started to, or have already removed most incentives for EV buyers.

So EVs have to start standing on their merits as vehicles rather than being artificially cheaper to buy.
Pretty much the only reason new EVs are selling in the UK remains as beneficial as ever - BIK.
What an absolute crock of poop. It's time to draw a line in the sand for ICE, bring forward the date back to 2030 for non PHEV's, and get rid of the tariff's on Chinese cars (in the UK at least). You only need to look at the number of MG4's on the road to realise the vast majority of people only care about price/cost not drive train, unless you are a defacto petrol head or working in one of the oil companies maybe.
The number of MG4s etc. on the road are a prime example why the tariffs are needed. People don't give two hoots where there products come from or why they are cheap.

China's state backed strategic (and hugely expensive) dice roll to cripple the automotive industry in the west is a very bad thing.

Those 6P's again - Cambridge to likes of stanage for climbing 150 miles for day = low temp range on an id3 .. stopping for 40mins somewhere? before return would be onerous

What are you actually saying?

Your original post said a couple of hours, which is 2 hours the last time I checked. 2 hours on U.K. roads is ~100 miles. Are you now saying saying 150 miles each way which is >6 hours driving?

Let me just get my goal posts and move them to the other end of the field.

Last edited:
What are you actually saying?

Your original post said a couple of hours, which is 2 hours the last time I checked. 2 hours on U.K. roads is ~100 miles. Are you now saying saying 150 miles each way which is >6 hours driving?

Let me just get my goal posts and move them to the other end of the field.
The reference to low temperature and previous posts about heat pumps I think highlight jpauls thought process that cold temps = decimated range in an EV.

I think that is going to be one of those things that people aren't going to get a real handle on until they walk the walk and run an EV in all seasons.

I passed a 24 plate Audi EV on the A14 a few days ago. Windows all condensated up, driver wrapped up like they were going on a polar expedition. Just stick the bloody heater on!

Removing tariffs on cheaper Chinese EVs that are owned and heavily subsidised by the CCP, is not good for the local UK economy and longer term economic growth in the western world. The EU and US finally seemed to understand that belligerent nations like China are not flooding the market to help the consumers, but to undermine entire economies.

Imagine the massive social and economic impact if entire swathes of western workforces making western cars were to disappear.

Those Chinese EVs aren’t just cheap because some of the parts are a bit iffy, but because the Chinese Communist Party own the company and heavily subsidise the costs. If it was a private company their costs would be not that much less than an equivalent low end European made EV.

The problem with some people is they never think longer term than how it impacts their wallet.
I don't disagree with that but it is hard to feel much sympathy for companies which for decades have been moving their manufacture away from their host countries to place like china....... they didn't give a **** about the local workforce then but all of a sudden they want to protect their local workers.
they (so I guess by us buying all the cheap stuff that includes most of us Inc me) are likely gonna have to lay in the bed we made. don't get me wrong we do need to protect our own but let's be honest about it.... China are not the "big bad" on this at least, the west screwed up and are now having to own it.

each to his own id3's at £15k look interesting, but on a typical weekend trip with a couple of hours of motorway , you'd have to stop for 40mins to dc re-charge.
really ? just how fast do you drive on the motorway to flatten the battery in 2hrs of an ID3?.

about to start my 200 mile road trip now up the M6. I will be stopping for a west Cornwall pasty on the j14/15 services but won't be charging. (TMI??? ;) )

my car has a slightly longer range than the ID3 but if mine will do 4+ hrs with no charge the ID3 should manage at least 2/3 of that even the smally battery one I would hope

Last edited:
I drive 150 miles ~2 hours on the motorway - I would need a 40 minute re-charge before returning.
e: a minute on google shows someones experience
e2 : even regular 160miles weekend round trip to parents (maybe I could coerce them into destination charging)

Last edited:
I drive 150 miles ~2 hours on the motorway - I would need a 40 minute re-charge before returning.
so 300 miles then? I reckon more like a 15 mins quick we stop
tbh why would you fully charge at a service station? you would put the minimum amount to get you home that way you save a chunk of cash

150 miles in 2hrs is optimistic and I say that as someone who drives regularly on the A14, A1M, M11 and M1 which I believe are your local faster roads. (not that I am stalking you )

Last edited:
e: a minute on google shows someones experience
e2 : even regular 160miles weekend round trip to parents (maybe I could coerce them into destination charging)
summarise edit , we havent got time to watch a boredom video. From what i gathered he was doing 3miles/kWh...

Imagine being so off the pulse that you use google videos as 'experience' when conversing with actual EV users.

Yeah coerce - great word; normal people use the work 'ask'. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pretty much the only reason new EVs are selling in the UK remains as beneficial as ever - BIK.

The number of MG4s etc. on the road are a prime example why the tariffs are needed. People don't give two hoots where there products come from or why they are cheap.

China's state backed strategic (and hugely expensive) dice roll to cripple the automotive industry in the west is a very bad thing.
People don't care two hoots where any of their goods are made either and neither would they care if the manufacturer of Tesla cars in China, or iPhones, received government subsidies. I'm not a fan of tariffs - it's a tax on the people. The West needs to roll with changing times.
China is playing the long game.

Last edited:
As someone who also lives in the area, I’m very familiar with every route in and out of the East of England.

150 miles in 2 hours equates to an average speed of 75mph. It’s not optimistic, it’s not possible in the real world, not to mention very illegal. You’d need to be doing a >100mph for significant distances to get your average up that high.

You’d be making decent progress to do 150 miles in under 3 hours in the real world during the day on real U.K. roads.

Last edited:
People don't care two hoots where any of their goods are made either and neither would they care if the manufacturer of Tesla cars in China, or iPhones, received government subsidies. I'm not a fan of tariffs - it's a tax on the people. The West needs to roll with changing times.
It is rolling with changing times... By applying tariffs.

The Chinese state isn't subsidising car manufacture to help out people in the west with cheap cars. It's an economic power play.

You say stuff like this but you probably also think it's a shame that many areas of the UK are chronically underemployed as industries have left the area, there are no jobs and the place has gone to ruin

It's a balance

It is rolling with changing times... By applying tariffs.

The Chinese state isn't subsidising car manufacture to help out people in the west with cheap cars. It's an economic power play.
And the West hasn't been carrying out economic power play all these years? Like using China and others to manufacture stuff cheaply for Western brand labels that we then snap up at a price that creates a larger profit margin for those companies than if manufactured here?
Rolling with the times in my view is not blocking competition from China, but rather competing in a similar way or making efficiency improvements etc.
I don't think trying to keep China down is good for peace either.
As above, I think China is playing the long game anyway. We're more focused on the next few years.

You say stuff like this but you probably also think it's a shame that many areas of the UK are chronically underemployed as industries have left the area, there are no jobs and the place has gone to ruin

It's a balance
I do agree but is that China's fault or ours?
We haven't created an environment that encourages risk taking, ie, new startups to replace other industries. It's not really new business friendly. Where are our top tech companies that compete globally? Arm is one, but that was swallowed up but at least the jobs are still here.
We need to encourage more risk taking, people starting new businesses that can go on to be world leaders, replacing jobs lost in more legacy areas such as manufacturing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom