When are you going fully electric?

- a decent dsp and parametric equalizer ?

Hadn't realised P2 is so Chinese .. is the R&D + software in europe

edit: ok the saint was a p1800 .. they should be mining that vein

At least in those days you could choose from a plethora of manufacturers for you ICE needs.

And generally the sound quality is much better on these units than on crappy OEM ones, which are built to a tight budget. Also who wants the volume and vent controls on a touchscreen ffs.

If I want to play with a computer I have a gaming machine at home...

Last edited:
- a decent dsp and parametric equalizer ?

The meridian system 380W and 12 speakers I find more that adequate - it’s a car not recording stupid afterall...

Interms of adjustment its rare you really need to do that, particularly whilst driving. Guess doesn’t allow the button stabbing of a Kenwood food Masher.

The screens are fundamental now the HMI interface for various features including charging schedule and precondition. Embrace the function it offers and OEMS love them for the cheap costs compared to new buttons to keep an interior fresh and progressive. I really like the Polestar layout, vertical in a car makes more sense for the Nav Aswell. Works nicely in the JLR stuff with touch pro duo and two screens to give dual.

look at Callum’s new Vantage 25 for the constraint an old school car stereo gives you.

The first correct wheel drive VW in a long time :D

But again, big screen nailed to the front of dash, with gloss black plastics looks terrible. Ford and Mazda started doing that years ago and it hasn't got any prettier :/

The screens will stay as a key feature in cars. It’s simple physics I’ll try to explain to help you manage the usual, typical Masher predictable vitriol.

EV packaging allowed more cab forward design, wheel at each corner etc

A)the touch screens needs to be in reach
B) The give the feeling of space you want the dash panel to be away from the occupants.

If you integrate the screen you can’t do both, it’s really quite simple... hence the I-PACE dash is huge in depth compared to say a model 3.

Now that’s the objective reasoning behind them and hence any views you have are purely subjective opinions and as long as you recognise that we can all chat nicely and you might save some keyboard Mashing time ;)

aerodynamics, and, accomodating a raked windscreen has something to say too, making an eye level dash less viable/reachable anyway, thus the protuberance of the touch screen,
the integration and cost/reliability saving, of not having banks of mechanical buttons an added bonus.

But on the flip side legislation/research on the the tablet safety aspects, seems remisce, NHTSA guidelines (linked before) not enforced
-eg size/responsiveness of touch screen button, rapidity of feedback, haptics; the wild west ?
manufactuers must, now, have the telemetry to record if the touchscren was being used at the time of an accident, and, there does seem a discontinuity of thinking versus handheld devices.

Afaik ncap, are not yet scoring the gui in cars based on the time taken for common activities.

the ID video, with the guy trying to verify if the car had understood his heating up voice command, I was surprised car didn't verbally affirm request - with HAL voice.

because they aren’t necessary and just a waste of dinero, even more so in a car that’s designed to be a self driving taxi.

Yeah, but not in a "Premium" vehicle like a Tesla for example, it makes them look cheap, nasty & half arsed.

It's something i'd expect in maybe a Dacia in a few years, don't do any work actually designing the interior just slap a £250 tablet on the massive flat space in the dash.

Cars are becoming white goods, boring.

You can have very thin screens now. They could mount it on the dash properly and attach it like a piece of trim, so it actually looks like part of the car and not a **** retrofit mod. It's very "that'll do".

Yeah, but not in a "Premium" vehicle like a Tesla for example, it makes them look cheap, nasty & half arsed.

It's something i'd expect in maybe a Dacia in a few years, don't do any work actually designing the interior just slap a £250 tablet on the massive flat space in the dash.

Alternatively it makes it loook fresh and modern.

You've obviously not understood that cars were always 'white goods' - they were a means to making it easier and faster to move people and goods around, rather than using a horse and cart, trains or canals.

They became adapted to become more reliable, and offer more comfort and convenience to the passengers, and also became less complicated, then progressively more complicated, and are now becoming less complicated again.

A car is a tool that for some reason people have formed an emotional attachment to, they aren't a horse they are not alive, they are machines.

I'd really like a Model 3 Performance. That'll be my next car. Do you think the price will always be £50k or might it drop in say 5 years time?

Last edited:
I doubt it and to be honest I’d prefer cars like that didn’t.

It’s going to be interesting enough when most ‘premium’ cars on the road can do 0-60 in around 5 seconds without many getting as low as 3.5. To get that sort of performance in an ICE you tend to need fairly deep pockets.

Legacy car manufacturers aren’t going to compete heavily in the EV market until they can make more money than selling ICE. There only opening up the tap now so they don’t get fined by the EU due to their fleet emissions exceeding the limit.

in 5 years time any EV will have dropped in value, have a look at 5 year old model S and X on Tesla inventory

I'd really like a Model 3 Performance. That'll be my next car. Do you think the price will always be £50k or might it drop in say 5 years time?

I doubt it and to be honest I’d prefer cars like that didn’t.

It’s going to be interesting enough when most ‘premium’ cars on the road can do 0-60 in around 5 seconds without many getting as low as 3.5. To get that sort of performance in an ICE you tend to need fairly deep pockets.

Legacy car manufacturers aren’t going to compete heavily in the EV market until they can make more money than selling ICE. There only opening up the tap now so they don’t get fined by the EU due to their fleet emissions exceeding the limit.

0-60 isn't an important stat and they are only that quick due to having no gear changes. Petrol engines still pull much harder at high speeds.

I partly agree with Nasher, I dont mind the screens particularly, they could integrate them a bit better but I am sure that will come
Moving all the controls to a central touchscreen isnt necessary however, far more could be done on an virtual cockpit type arrangement like many of the audis now have
Some have 2 screens, some just one, replacing the speedo etc with a 12" cockpit that will display most stuff (like satnav). All controlled via the steering wheel and to behonest its far better than having to reach for controls
A few of the controls remain on buttons and a few bits are integrated into the air vents (like the climate etc) which seems a really good balance

But no, I dont want 1000 buttons which always seem to look like they are designed by 10 different guys across two decades, no need for that

Back
Top Bottom