When are you going fully electric?

0-60 isn't an important stat and they are only that quick due to having no gear changes. Petrol engines still pull much harder at high speeds.

At illegal in the UK speeds you mean

Depending how we go for charging of road usage you could end up with fines like france based on average speed between points. Fine if your having a lunch break, not so good if your just cruising between two points.

Oh and its not the gear changes its the torque. Auto boxes now switch (and can be made even faster if you want super brutal ones) so quickly its pretty much irrelevant, and why almost all autos are now faster than manuals.
Basically manual boxes with computer controlled switching. They are faster as they have full torque permanently where as ICE have a curve

after the P2 review also watched their mazda mx-30 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kB2BWdU9M
they don't seem to have the mini review yet, despite bm ramping up the ev tv adverts, this week

presenter made comments about mazda not enabling touch, on the screen for safety reason, think I'd heard that before, but an interesting ideology,
of Japanese origin ? japan had some more extensive research on touch screens, even, in the absence of legislation.
Do you really need a touch screen (for the driver use, when moving) to accomplish tasks ?.
I don't know what the Tidal interface looks like in a car, say, but autocompleting on tracks/albums would, take, too much attention.

on M3 2nd hand prices, seems 70% are fleet sales, so I guess you have to wait 3 years; with increased UK registration, will be interesting if they modify their servicing/maintenance strategy, similarly for USA.

I partly agree with Nasher, I dont mind the screens particularly, they could integrate them a bit better but I am sure that will come
Moving all the controls to a central touchscreen isnt necessary however, far more could be done on an virtual cockpit type arrangement like many of the audis now have
Some have 2 screens, some just one, replacing the speedo etc with a 12" cockpit that will display most stuff (like satnav). All controlled via the steering wheel and to behonest its far better than having to reach for controls
A few of the controls remain on buttons and a few bits are integrated into the air vents (like the climate etc) which seems a really good balance

But no, I dont want 1000 buttons which always seem to look like they are designed by 10 different guys across two decades, no need for that

so basically the way the I-PACE does it...

0-60 isn't an important stat and they are only that quick due to having no gear changes. Petrol engines still pull much harder at high speeds.

Completely disagree, the performance beyond 70-80mph is utterly meaningless everywhere bar the track and autobahn and even there people don’t drive with their foot to the floor everywhere and an EV is still no slouch at high speed. A fraction of a percentage of people track their cars.

The P2 and the Model 3 are also fine through the corners before you mention it. These cars ultimately offer better performance than cars like the BMW M3 at a far lower price point.

The point I was making is that cars with this capability are simply not available to those without deep pockets but with the advent of EVs that performance is available at a MUCH lower price point. People who don’t really want a fast car or are not capable of driving one sensibly are suddenly going to find themselves with more power than they know what to do with. ‘Accidental acceleration’ (e.g. mashing the wrong pedal) has already been shown to be a problem on a regular ICE with laggy automatic gearboxes and it’s something I see getting worse.

Cars have been white goods since the Ford Model T.

Maybe in communist USSR. If cars were intended to be white goods & purely there to perform an A to B or C function then vehicles like the MR2, MX5, 205 GTi Focus RS/ST would have never existed & we'd all be running around in the same or very similar vehicle.

Many people get enjoyment from driving, many people get enjoyment from vehicle ownership itself hence why there is a whole industry dedicated to what is basically car cleaning, would you spend £500 a year ceramic coating your washing machine like you would your 911?

I get to some people a car is simply a method of getting from A to B, my wife for example feels this way, she'd quite happily drive a bland leaf & if it starts to work out economical i'm happy for her to get one, problem is her 2.0 FSi Octavia is currently cheaper to run.

For me a car isn't a white good, hence why i have a project car, i wouldn't have a project tumble drier would I?

As Nasher said - advertising+journalists seem preoccupied by 0-60, but, overtaking, is the real world issue - 50-70 with more equity versus a rwd/awd ICE.

Tablets/big screens & sun reflection, remain a problem; a test drive in the sun needed to expose these, recent thread on bad e-pace design;
roll on rollable oled. - at which point I assume dash can be populated with re-positionable virtual/touch buttons, like a traditional dash.
Bleeding edge on airplane dash design - tablets too ? albeit safety/duel sysytems impose some constraints.

You haven’t overtaken in an EV if you think it’s a problem.

The response means you can be 200bhp down and make just as brisk and safe overtakes. First time I saw a model 3 on a mission the way it could pop out on the country lane and then make 3 separate overtakes in the space of about 40 seconds was incredible. Just that instantaneous response from the throttle rather than having to preset the car to be ready.

Cars have been white goods since the Ford Model T.

Exactly, which is why Hotpoint Owner magazine has a strong circulation and why people often pay to get the Samsung Ecobubble detailed. And the custom fridge market is positively booming.

They are all the same thing.

I’m not sure that someone paying to have their car cleaned means it’s not a ‘white good’, plus people pay to get their ovens cleaned...

let’s be realistic, 99+% vehicles on the road are absolutely a commodity product. Sure there are a few on the road which aren’t but those are few and far between. Even ‘ST’ cars are just normal commodity cars with a few go fast bits tacked on.

Just because a very small minority of people also modify their cars doesn’t mean it’s not a commodity class product. The only difference is between a fridge and a car is that cars are much more likely to end up as a fashion statement. It’s is more akin to a phone than a fridge but all three are commodity products.

99% is a bit keen . Even people who don’t care about cars still take pride in them and keep them clean. If cars were really a commodity then only price would be the factor with no premium offer or value in brands.

The big shift of not needing to own a car and just using when needed is the big disruptor. Not EV

Also a lot of car experience isn’t about 0-60. It’s about how it makes your feel

Last edited:
I’m not sure that someone paying to have their car cleaned means it’s not a ‘white good’, plus people pay to get their ovens cleaned...

let’s be realistic, 99+% vehicles on the road are absolutely a commodity product. Sure there are a few on the road which aren’t but those are few and far between. Even ‘ST’ cars are just normal commodity cars with a few go fast bits tacked on.

You think someone would have their oven go through a process of cleaning which takes 3 - 5 days & costs £500+?

Yes, but the person who buys an ST buys it because they want to enjoy it & enjoys driving but simply can't afford that F430 that they really want, not because they just want to get from A - B, if they wanted to get from A - B they'd buy a 1.0 Ecoboost, I know a lot of ST owners of Focus, Fiesta & Mondeo varieties & all of them buy the cars as it's something they enjoy rather than JUST to be used as a tool for the shops.

Anyway, i'm off to watch the new episode of Top Drum, they have got the new Zanussi ZDH8903W on it tonight, looks awesome & i'll bet that heatpump sounds amazing!

I'm just waiting for one of the Zanussi owners groups to put on a Dryer show somewhere in the midlands, our owners group gonna have one of the stands if they do, reckon we can get 90 tumble dryers on it, should be a blast & a much better atmosphere than you'd get down at the local Sainsburys with all of the chavs misbehaving with all of their crappy vented dryers which they have got themselves into a ton of debt over.

Last edited:
Unfortunately our garage / parking space is part of a complex rather than directly attached to our home, so can't be wired for electric, hence I don't think we'll be looking to go electric whilst living here.
That said, if we do see improvements in tech to increase the range, and charging networks improve, then I guess range anxiety is a bit illogical because it won't be much different from the risk of running out of petrol, perhaps with slightly more caution if going for a trip to remote areas that might not have chargers. Although the option of someone bringing you a jerrycan of fuel wouldn't be there. Hmmm....

For people who can charge at home and/or work I definitely see the appeal, in fact I guess some people actually save on time/journeys if they never need to visit a petrol station and just keep it topped up at either end of their commute.

The only difference is between a fridge and a car is that cars are much more likely to end up as a fashion statement.

Yet it's this difference that is absolutely key.

There is no aftermarket washing machine personalisation industry.

We're arguing about cars every day on a forum some of us have been on for 20 years. The most fascinating insight I can find into the Washing Machine I'm trying to buy at the moment is a 200 word Which? Article that says it has 'Good spinning'.

Cars are clearly more than white goods.

Last edited:
As Nasher said - advertising+journalists seem preoccupied by 0-60, but, overtaking, is the real world issue - 50-70 with more equity versus a rwd/awd ICE.

I don't think people need to be concerned an electric car isn't fast enough from a 50mph rolling start (or in other words, overtaking something on a NSL road):

From 2:45, 50mph rolling, all cars in auto/comfort against a RWD ICE and an AWD ICE

Yet it's this difference that is absolutely key.

There is no aftermarket washing machine personalisation industry.

We're arguing about cars every day on a forum some of us have been on for 20 years. The most fascinating insight I can find into the Washing Machine I'm trying to buy at the moment is a 200 word Which? Article that says it has 'Good spinning'.

Cars are clearly more than white goods.

dunno mate. I’ve got a SMEG fridge...

I don't think people need to be concerned an electric car isn't fast enough from a 50mph rolling start (or in other words, overtaking something on a NSL road):

From 2:45, 50mph rolling, all cars in auto/comfort against a RWD ICE and an AWD ICE

I’m not sure much apart from supercars would match a M3P for 50-70. Single gear means you already have a massive advantage as no need for kick down etc.

Back
Top Bottom