When are you going fully electric?

yes i'd looked yesterday favourite stats site remains down https://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/2018/2707190/ford_fiesta_st.html

on one hand it shows ICE kick down speed in a bad light, that's not exactly passive safety, wasting 250ms, or so;
but, it is avoiding stop/start delay and junction pull-away, incertitude(edit ie auto gearbox) , that is definitely a safety win for electric.

Last edited:
No complaints in my SR+ with 40-60 mph overtakes on single track roads etc.

Only minor gripe I currently have is that you select the drive modes from a menu and I tend to stick to Chill as it's a comfortable, efficient way to drive but limited to something like 2/3 power. All they need is a kick down like I had in the previous i3. Select ECO for max range but if you need the torque then mash the throttle and it delivered. Maybe even just add it to voice as it's all software controlled of course.

This comparison does cover a rolling acceleration test with the cars locked in gear at the start.

Comparisons start at around 4m30s.

The thing in unless you are properly on it in an ice in normal driving you won’t likely be in the correct gear for maximum acceleration for an overtake. In a fast EV it doesn’t matter so it’s completely effortless to overtake. Does this take away some involvement absolutely but in terms of quickly and safely overtaking its much better. They just need to get better at interiors.

This comparison does cover a rolling acceleration test with the cars locked in gear at the start.

Comparisons start at around 4m30s.
What a stupid video, a GLC? What on earth, why isnt the Mercedes at least a comparable, of which they make a few.

The thing in unless you are properly on it in an ice in normal driving you won’t likely be in the correct gear for maximum acceleration for an overtake. In a fast EV it doesn’t matter so it’s completely effortless to overtake. Does this take away some involvement absolutely but in terms of quickly and safely overtaking its much better. They just need to get better at interiors.
I often find myself surprised I suddenly need to overtake and so I'm always in the wrong gear. ;)

I like these videos and comparison, especially 30-70 etc. But to try and use them to talk about overtaking ability showing a car cruising along then suddenly being asked to go and having to wait for gearbox to react isn't really that realistic for the ICE vs EV comparisons.

It was clear in the original that the M4 was quick even with a kick down (and that depends what mode the gearbox is in).

Talking of funny EV vids, have you seen the Ken Block 1400hp MachE, how many e-motors!?

What a stupid video, a GLC? Of course it loses all of the tests, its a bloody SUV.

A lot of their videos are quite random, based on whatever cars were available on a given day that they had the runway booked out or what they've got on long term test (so for a while virtually everything had the G63 in it) but it is also often interesting to see just how much difference in performance there can be between different types of car - the recent video between the RS4, RSQ3 and RSQ8 was quite interesting to see.

One of their more random ones is essentially a line up of all their long term test cars:

M340i vs G63 vs RSQ3 vs T-Roc R :D

Maybe it’s just me getting old and the fact my old car was a manual but on certain country roads being at high revs ready for a suitable overtaking opportunity but then only to get a steady stream of cars coming the other way used to mean I would just change gear and sit back. Likewise for any overtake it’s just much easier with instantaneous acceleration.

Not seen that ken block video but will have to have a look as his previous videos have always been well put together.

I manage to overtake perfectly fine without having 700bhp. When you think of it, these kind of acceleration videos are completely ridiculous.

In the real world, you'll be overtaken by whoever values their license the least - usually driving some beaten up sXXt bot.

Never had any issues overtaking in SR+, saying that neither did I in my previous cars, golf GTI, vRS estate etc - seems a bit of a pointless discussion/argument going on here

so basically the way the I-PACE does it...
Not looked at an ipace so no idea but if its the same as I described then great

I have the audi VC, not only does it remove about 90% of the clutter from the dash its just more intuitive and far easier to navigate in the dark down country lanes

I hope that touch will stop being a fad

Last edited:
To
Not looked at an ipace so no idea but if its the same as I described then great

I have the audi VC, not only does it remove about 90% of the clutter from the dash its just more intuitive and far easier to navigate in the dark down country lanes

I hope that touch will stop being a fad
touch is here to stay, it’s too good.

People are copying Tesla now

What is good about touch?

Its better for some longer repetitive tasks, about the only 1 I can think of in a car is,
My otherhalves BMW for example when entering a postcode for the nav its quicker with touch than use the idrive. But once you have a destination locked in its easier to use the idrive to zoom etc than touch.

Using a touch screen for messing with vents, idiotic. Put those sorts of thing in front of the driver ffs, a digital dash means you can do everything in front of the driver so if you really want a powered vent rather than a manual one its better there than as a touch screen in the middle of the car.

Its better for some longer repetitive tasks, about the only 1 I can think of in a car is,
My otherhalves BMW for example when entering a postcode for the nav its quicker with touch than use the idrive. But once you have a destination locked in its easier to use the idrive to zoom etc than touch.

Using a touch screen for messing with vents, idiotic. Put those sorts of thing in front of the driver ffs, a digital dash means you can do everything in front of the driver so if you really want a powered vent rather than a manual one its better there than as a touch screen in the middle of the car.

On the model 3 it’s amazing, you can control both sides vents from the screen!

Back
Top Bottom