When are you going fully electric?

Unless your car was an E60 M5.

Other manufacturers than BMW exist, I know shock horror there are other inefficient cars around, particularly some older ones of course
But also some that arent particularly inefficient, just dont have particularly big tanks and no every one wants to almost run out before putting 700 miles in ;)

Soldato
Can't be that short a trip to work then can it if you're burning a tank every 10 days.

Unless your car was an E60 M5.
My longest trip is 15miles one way which is 30 to 45mins depending on time of day. My shorter trips are are 15 to 20mins away city style driving so technically not that many miles.

Man of Honour
Other manufacturers than BMW exist

There are few cars of that type and fuel tank size that are quite as inefficient as the E60 M5 though. It's absolutely notorious for being one of the most thirsty cars with the most frustrating range around even with its fairly large fuel tank.

I use it for effect - my real point is that its unlikely you're doing a tank every 10 days on short trips unless your idea of short is somewhat stretching the argument :D

Soldato
Lots of valid points on both sides of the EV case I think. In fact I'd say it's proof that currently EV is not the optimal solution for everyone, there's not yet a one size fits all. Even hybrids, notably plug-ins have a use case at the moment that they're well suited for.
With the big boys investing more now I reckon we'll see some big leaps forward over the coming years. Solid state batteries for example look like a game changer. I watched a Toyota video yesterday on their sold state battery and seems pretty impressive, albeit a good few years away yet I think before we still them in mass production. All the current EV's will seem like a chore to charge too (away from home) if in 5 years battery technology has advanced much further to the point where a 15 minute charge can give the huge range being predicted. It still feels like very early days in EV technology, like a beta :) as some would say.

Last edited:
There are few cars of that type and fuel tank size that are quite as inefficient as the E60 M5 though. It's absolutely notorious for being one of the most thirsty cars with the most frustrating range around even with its fairly large fuel tank.

I use it for effect - my real point is that its unlikely you're doing a tank every 10 days on short trips unless your idea of short is somewhat stretching the argument :D

Its more than likely very dependent on specifically where and when hes driving, I used to use a tank in 2 weeks in my celica and the impreze when it used to take me 45 mins to do a 3 mile commute into and out of Ipswich, quite absurd MPG achieved
When I changed my hours to go in before and leave for home before the respective rush hours it jumped to 3-4 weeks, and the rest of my driving was the same, trips to supermarket etc Not actually covering that many miles

Point being there will be loads of people who live and work in towns and cities who probably achieve teens type MPGs sitting in terrible traffic constantly accelerating a bit then stopping, who whilst not really caring they get terrible MPG actually do burn half a gallon or so a day and if they have a smallish tank may well decide filling up every other weekend is right. It may be iffy to do three weeks.
My mate who had an old jag at that time was I think 4.2L was filling weekly, and the tank was huge so it completely believeable someone with a decent size older petrol would be filling twice weekly with just short trips.
If he had a modern 1.2 fiesta or something I agree with you though.

Lots of valid points on both sides of the EV case I think. In fact I'd say it's proof that currently EV is not the optimal solution for everyone, there's not yet a one size fits all. Even hybrids, notably plug-ins have a use case at the moment that they're well suited for.
With the big boys investing more now I reckon we'll see some big leaps forward over the coming years. Solid state batteries for example look like a game changer. I watched a Toyota video yesterday on their sold state battery and seems pretty impressive, albeit a good few years away yet I think before we still them in mass production. All the current EV's will seem like a chore to charge too (away from home) if in 5 years battery technology has advanced much further to the point where a 15 minute charge can give the huge range being predicted. It still feels like very early days in EV technology, like a beta :) as some would say.

My experience of the hybrids is that all the wrong people are getting them, or really did get them in our case.
All the people at work getting them are the sales type people to minimse BIK, so they end up driving a 2 litre petrol with added weight most of the time, where as before they were typically driving 2 litre diesels with significantly better MPG
I can literally spot the fuel difference in the cost centres of these people as they change cars. ainly the 350E mercs, buta couple of BMWs as well (330E I think?)

I think the range balance is a little out on them really, most are 20-30 mpg so require constant charging even for people doing short commutes, ideally I would like to see that approaching 100 miles I think then it would give a significant percentage a genuine Ev vehicle that covered the occasional longer trip. Which from my experience is the vast majority of motorists, it would massively help with the range anxiety issues as well.

Soldato
Has anyone ever suffered the perils of waking up and having a car that’s totally frozen over in winter?

An ev produces instant heat and can defrost while you have breakfast.
It’s the same in reverse in summer, you will never come back to a hot car. Heck you can leave your drinks inside the car with the ac running :D

Soldato
when frosty do you need to tell the ev you will be leaving soon, so it can pre-condition/warm the battery up (perhaps not in the uk)

I'm mean, windscreen defrost/car-heat with a a bowl of hot water, is faster - but, if 12minutes/1Kwh cracks it, I guess that's in budget.

is a heat-pump beneficial here, or, just if it can 'transfer' heat from the battery (cooling) circuit.

Soldato
Has anyone ever suffered the perils of waking up and having a car that’s totally frozen over in winter?

An ev produces instant heat and can defrost while you have breakfast.
It’s the same in reverse in summer, you will never come back to a hot car. Heck you can leave your drinks inside the car with the ac running :D
Probably had that less than 5 times in all my years of driving, well, to the point where the locks were frozen or couldn't get in but I've never been much of an early starter (for the cold mornings). Modern cars warm up quite quickly A nice feature but far down my list of priorities. Unless the car was on a charger I'd not want to burn down the battery doing stuff while I'm not in the car :). To me that's a bit of a waste. I don't think our summers/winters are hot/cold enough either for it to be a really desirable feature. Living in Death Vallley, for sure :).
Good gadget however but not something I'd be excited about having in the future even when I do go EV.
During winter my MX-5 when I've used it warms up very quickly with such a small cabin anyway :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably had that less than 5 times in all my years of driving, well, to the point where the locks were frozen or couldn't get in but I've never been much of an early starter (for the cold mornings). Modern cars warm up quite quickly A nice feature but far down my list of priorities. Unless the car was on a charger I'd not want to burn down the battery doing stuff while I'm not in the car :). To me that's a bit of a waste. I don't think our summers/winters are hot/cold enough either for it to be a really desirable feature. Living in Death Vallley, for sure :).
Good gadget however but not something I'd be excited about having in the future even when I do go EV.
During winter my MX-5 when I've used it warms up very quickly with such a small cabin anyway :)

Really? i have to defost my windscreen regularly when driving in winter.

You wouldn't want to use up 1-2 percent to defrost and warm up your car? It's a right pain getting into a freezing cold car imo, moreso when you have to defrost it and even more so when you can't start it up and eat breakfast while its warming up.

Last edited:
Soldato
when frosty do you need to tell the ev you will be leaving soon, so it can pre-condition/warm the battery up (perhaps not in the uk)

I'm mean, windscreen defrost/car-heat with a a bowl of hot water, is faster - but, if 12minutes/1Kwh cracks it, I guess that's in budget.

is a heat-pump beneficial here, or, just if it can 'transfer' heat from the battery (cooling) circuit.
Using a bowl of hot water, defroster etc is a pain as you have to stand in the cold unnecessarily. with the Tesla you go out of your house into a toasty car (you can turn the heated seats on using your mobile phone too)

I wake up, turn the car on immediately using my mobile phone. Then have a shower, breakfast and by the time I am done the car is good to go. I don't really use the timer as I don't see the point.
The car has a resistance heater (just like any other electric heater) the amount of energy it uses doesn't bother me as its plugged in when at home so it doesn't affect the range.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? i have to defost my windscreen regularly when driving in winter.

You wouldn't want to use up 1-2 percent to defrost and warm up your car? It's a right pain getting into a freezing cold car imo, moreso when you have to defrost it and even more so when you can start it up and eat breakfast while its warming up.
Not down here in the English Riveria :). When I read your comment I did think you meant a completely frozen car, ie, not being able to get in the car for example due to frozen locks or frozen frameless side windows that dont move enough to open the door. For sure I sometimes get in and it's a little frosty but it's very rare that I either can't get in the car or the car is completely solid with ice that doesn't defrost soon after starting the engine.
I do think it's a nice feature but it's one I would rarely use. 1-2 percent I find a lot to be honest. 2% on a Tesla could be the equivelant of 6.5 miles which could be an entire local trip :). An entire road trip just to cool a car before getting in to me would be a waste unless the temperature really was extreme, although having said that I would probably use it once in the car until it cooled down so would use a similar amount. In the summer maybe a few days a year I get in a car and it feels unbearable. My current car which recommends using aircon only when needed I do just that, opening the windows if only doing alocal low speed drive.
If in future there are battery options I'd rather sacrifice stuff like this for a better battery/range I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not down here in the English Riveria :). When I read your comment I did think you meant a completely frozen car, ie, not being able to get in the car for example due to frozen locks or frozen frameless side windows that dont move enough to open the door. For sure I sometimes get in and it's a little frosty but it's very rare that I either can't get in the car or the car is completely solid with ice that doesn't defrost soon after starting the engine.
I do think it's a nice feature but it's one I would rarely use. 1-2 percent I find a lot to be honest. 2% on a Tesla could be the equivelant of 6.5 miles which could be an entire local trip :). An entire road trip just to cool a car before getting in to me would be a waste unless the temperature really was extreme, although having said that I would probably use it once in until it cooled down so would use a similar amount the. In the summer maybe a few days a year I get in a car and it feels unbearable.
If in future there are battery options I'd rather sacrifice stuff like this for a better battery/range.

Really? Wow I'd spend 10p to have a warm toasty car when its 3 degrees outside any day of the week. I can't stand getting into a car thats freezing cold and everything inside it is cold.

Soldato
Really? Wow I'd spend 10p to have a warm toasty car when its 3 degrees outside any day of the week. I can't stand getting into a car thats freezing cold and everything inside it is cold.
Fair enough. Maybe I'm just used to it. I hate the cold too but can cope with a few mins for a car to warm up at least to the point where I no longer thing "it's freezing" :).
I dunno, maybe if I tried it I'd change my mind :). I'm a bit minimalist too when it comes to cars although started appreciating heated seats once I tried them so who knows.....but I usually forget about those until half way through winter when I realise the car has them :D

Caporegime
Many ICE cars have remote start too. But it’s a definite advantage of a EV car plugged in.

if it’s snowy though I just stay at him

Back
Top Bottom